Am I the 1st person with PS3 in an LCR???

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
Got myself a PS3 from America ;) and havent done any fibre glassing for a while so thinking of upgrading my ICE at the weekend but Ive run out of room in the boot:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/dridgley84/IMGP1186.jpg

So do I make up something on the passengers side? :shrug: Has anyone done anything like this before- apart from glove box conversions. :confused:

Also what is the size of my headrests as I think some screens may now be required for four player gaming!!! :blink:

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
hmm, the photoshop picture of that boot install again...lol

Yeah i have fitted PS2's into boots, under the floor in the spare wheel wells, and also dismantled them to pieces so the disk tray and power button is in the front and the main unit in the boot hidden away, then I fitted them directly in the boot in mdf boxes mounted sideways....
Under the passanger is a no no, all the mechansims for the chair movement allow only fag paper under it... So boot, glove box or dismantle it is...

the only problem you need to think hard about is, that disk is spinning at a couple k RPM's, then you go and throw that all into a mess because the subs kick in and throw the disk suspension up and crash the CD data retrieval... hence why i have boxed them in sound damping materials or dismantled with the disc reader in the front away from the vibrations and only the data cables being vibrated heavily...

Last edited:

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
hmm, the photoshop picture of that boot install again...lol

I have no photography skills I cant get the lighting right so it doesnt look like a photoshop!!!

Anyways you got a very good point, I certainly dont want to be harming my new toy!!! But I think if there is enough room below the glove book I could somehow come up with something???

Maybe remove that stupid shelf under the glove box that you cant fit anything on???

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
I have no photography skills I cant get the lighting right so it doesnt look like a photoshop!!!

Anyways you got a very good point, I certainly dont want to be harming my new toy!!! But I think if there is enough room below the glove book I could somehow come up with something???

Maybe remove that stupid shelf under the glove box that you cant fit anything on???

Well those sony's just stand out like sore thumbs dont there... lol

AS for the shelf, yeah you proberly could do that, you need to remove the glovebox then un melt the plastic welds on the backside of the glove box then pull the pocket off.. then using that plastic shelf, cut it out and fibreglass a slot for the PS3 in it, again if i remember the ps3 has a bin top lid to put the CD in doesnt it, or is it a slide in tray, otherwise if it is a bin top then you need to be able to remove the ps3 in and out all the time, can be sorted using a pair of Ikea draw bearings and a custom cradle, then the PS3 will pull in and out of the shelf like a draw, or use a hinge system and let it hinge down to place a new CD into it.

Of coarse this all could be made extra flash by fixing actuators to the equation and have them motorised to move in and out or up and down, fitted my own and many others like that! [B)]
but first i think you need to sort the placement out.

paul26982

wers the ps3 lol, i have 4 in my car lol

nah. got 2 7inch lcd alpines in the headrests tho, had em agers

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
if i remember the ps3 has a bin top lid to put the CD in doesnt it, or is it a slide in tray

It's a slot loading mechanism which sits above the power and eject buttons. The only thing is... if you mount it in a car you'll be using tiny screens which sort of defeats the object of having a HD capable system.

Also you'll need someone way of installing the many, many system updates that Sony keep releasing, along with accessing the Sony Store so you can get stuff like Gran Turismo HD, which I have to say looks fantastic. :D

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Not being funny here, but do you spend that much time parked up in your car (on a carpark i presume) away from the comforts of home to justify having one installed?
Whats wrong with plugging it into your HD TV at home and enjoying the fact that no-one can watch you from a distance playing on it and follow you home so they know where to go and steal it? Plus how will it hold up to a few nights in freezing conditions?
Sorry for speaking my mind, but it seems a bit daft to me.

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Yeah I agree with davey completely

I wouldnt put one in my car for fear of some theif findin out I had one, or if I did, I'd have it in a sort of docking station and would take it out when parked

paul26982

thats why i put a modded xbox with big hard drive in like a media centre cheap too and still awsome games i.e. scarface lol

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Xbox's weigh a ton. I bet you'd shave some time off your 0>60 times if you put in the living room and left the car for driving?

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
I definatly wont be leaving it in the motor!!! I never got round to installing it at the weekend, it would be completly removable. Tiger woods PGA is f****** amazing........& so is ridge racer god best £300 ive ever spent!!!

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I definatly wont be leaving it in the motor!!! I never got round to installing it at the weekend, it would be completly removable. Tiger woods PGA is f****** amazing........& so is ridge racer god best £300 ive ever spent!!!
If you think Ridge Racer 7 is good, you really should get Gran Turismo HD from the Playstation store. It's free as well. :D