And who says you can't get good mpg in a mk2 what do you get

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Sin, clean up all the earth and battery connections in your engine bay. Should stop your clocks resetting when you start up. Also when really cold if you turn on the ignition and let the glow plug light go out and then turn it off and let the glow plug light out again it helps.

Deleted member 32025

I usually flick the ignition twice when I'm starting in the cold just to make it easier, the glow plugs seem'd to be on long enough so I just started and it struggled a bit and then I noticed the clock had reset.

I will clean the battery terminals, i've seen somewhere you can change how long the glow plugs come on for in vag com? Is it worth a go?

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
If two flicks isn't changing it much then I doubt the change in vag-com will help you much to be honest. You need to clean the terminals on the starter motor too, I did those on mine and it cured the issue of clock resetting. Starting the car with the clutch depressed seems to help it spring into life sooner to.

Danith

im getting 17-25 around town and about 30 on the motorway! what are the common faults with these cars? (im new). i hear the throttle body needs cleaning a lot. the car is well serviced but it has the sh1ttest exhaust on it! stainless but no mid section and a tiny backbox. Putting a new one on at the weekend, will this improve it much or is there something i need to look at - VAGCOM or something?

jw22

anyone for more bubbles?
Jul 24, 2005
Kent
Holding the clutch pedal releases the clutch so there is less mass to turn.
As for mpg I'm getting 14-18 around the lanes and 28 on the motorway. Is a tuned 325 E30 hence why I'm back here thinking about a cupra.
Been here for years and still never owned one. :rolleyes:
Hopefully I'll sort that out next week.

jw22

anyone for more bubbles?
Jul 24, 2005
Kent
im getting 17-25 around town and about 30 on the motorway! what are the common faults with these cars? (im new). i hear the throttle body needs cleaning a lot. the car is well serviced but it has the sh1ttest exhaust on it! stainless but no mid section and a tiny backbox. Putting a new one on at the weekend, will this improve it much or is there something i need to look at - VAGCOM or something?

Check the standard things first, spark plugs, air filter, tons of tools in boot, belts correctly adjusted, tyre pressures.
A good quality, branded exhaust should help but with a better soundtrack comes the temptation for higher revs and burning more fuel.

jw22

anyone for more bubbles?
Jul 24, 2005
Kent
i've two tourings atm. Finding a good one is still possible, though its easier to find a good 316/8 and a 325 rust bucket for the conversion. Your bank manager will tell you that you bought the right car though.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.