Who likes a good fault find?

Headsnap

Aug 14, 2014
Oxfordshire
So, I have suffered my last breakdown. My Cupra is in front of the house now and I think it’s too expensive to fix.
I’m not looking for a fix (unless it seems cheap and easy) but rather to put some info down and get your ideas in case someone else has this issue in the future.
So, a few weeks ago I’m travelling on the motorway (not booting it - I’m trying to save fuel) the heater is on. Suddenly I notice the climatronic display goes dim and the fan isn’t blowing. I look at the dash in case a light has come on and notice that the speedo has gone down to zero. Rev counter, fuel level, oil temp gauges all work fine. No other dimming of any display and no warning light/sound. I carry on for another 15 miles to the services. No issues accelerating, braking etc until I get into the car park. I go to reverse into a space and as soon as I put her into reverse, the engine cuts out. Just dies. I can’t get her started again so I have to push her into the parking spot.
I get my OBD2 reader out and what do you know - ‘LINKING ERROR’ on the display for ECU codes. Great. ECU kaput? Oddly enough though it does read ABS, SRS codes. I have an after market radio but disconnected it before plugging in the code reader as I’ve read that could be an issue.
I start the engine again and once it starts, it immediately stops. No amount of leaving it or revving it once it starts will keep it turned on. Whilst waiting for recovery I check all fuses. All good (checked with a fluke). It now won’t start at all but it will turn over.
So I get it recovered and think about changing the crank position sensor. But I also disconnect the battery for about 15 mins in case it helps the code reader to connect. Tried the car - starts first time. I let it get to temp, the fan comes on when it does (this is odd as the fan will come on immediately as I select it) but anyway, engine is on, fan is on, heater works but air con doesn’t. So maybe aircon compressor has gone.
Anywho, I want to make sure the car is good so I turn the ignition off and wait a minute or two and then go to start the car. Car starts and car stops immediately, just as when I broke down. So I’m stumped; I still can’t connect my code reader to read any codes either.
Anyway cheers for reading this far (if you did). I wonder what you all think?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.