Android Auto Random Disconnections

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
I know there are numerous threads on this but I wanted to mention a few things I haven't seen elsewhere.

I've been having issues with android auto where it will be working fine for a while, then suddenly get a message like "[phone name] has disconnected". This seems to happen at completely random times.

The thing I see the most is people saying to try different cables, I've tried at least 3 different, good quality cables and it still happens.

However I'm not convinced it is due to the cable at all because of the way the issue behaves. Once the disconnection happens it seems that no amount of unplugging and replugging it will make it work again until I do some combination of restarting the phone and car, however the car has 2 USB ports and if it errors on one, I can plug into the other port and it will work OK. If the error happens again in the other port then neither of them works again until some restarting. It's like once the disconnect happens then that USB port becomes disabled until things are restarted. If it was simply due to the physical connection of the cable, why would it not work if I just remove and plug it back in again?

Also in my previous car, a Golf, I used the same phone and same cable for a long time and not once had this issue, which to me seems like it is a software issue on the car?

I have a trip coming up soon where I really need AA to work. Has anyone had this issue and definitively fixed it somehow? It it worth going to SEAT with the issue, could a software update solve it?

Appreciate any info, thanks.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
I fixed mine by moving to iphone lol aa for me was pure garbage, no matter how many pounds i spent on cables still didnt work, iPhone never disconects or crashes always works as it should

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
When I had a Google pixel phone I had no issues using aa regardless of cable. Changed to a Motorola and started getting random disconnect issues, although using the cable that came with the phone seemed to sort it, at least for now. (Why in god's name I changed from a pixel to Motorola is another issue 🤣)

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
Well I ordered an Anker cable as some people swear by them, still have my doubts but will see if it seems to help at all.

Jan 10, 2021
I've had constant issues with AA from day 1, but I've always thought it was either the taste of android (my current phone being from Oppo/Realme) or the cable. After trying a lot of different variations of cables and different workarounds from forums, I haven't been able to resolve it still.

Regarding iPhones though, I've also tested with them since my partner has one and there have been disconnects, although quite fewer and far between.

Best solution so far for me has been investing in a good phone stand and just using the phone as is. No need for cable hassles, no issue with the clunky touch screen and bluetooth also auto-connects.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I have Samsung S9+ and the only issues I have are if I forget to disable the WiFi on the phone before I use Android Auto guidance, if I leave WiFi on, the phone keeps trying to re-route or can't detect traffic congestion etc. I'm using the standard cable (about 1 metre long) that came with the phone.

Tell

Staff member
Isn't that then. Some people upgrade the mib2 standard firmware for that issue. 515 is considered to be fine if you are on 5xx firmware. Depends whether you suddenly got the issue or no.

DIY here but there are wrinkles... if it's a train update. 515 is suppose to be stable. 516 isn't. DIY can end in tears. You have to keep the engine running during the update, if you cut power to the unit during the update you get locked out.

I wouldn't attempt a train update yourself unless you are a programmer. A train update e.g. 4xx to 515 etc. Within train updates are do able yourself, easy enough. Between train updates the thread explains how to do it. You need python skills. If you are on an old train there might be an update within the old train that is better, fixes a known problem etc. A library link to free firmware updates can be found.

I have carried out mib2 high firmware update to custom software with the help of the mib2 collective as I call them using Mib Tool for the Mib2 High, DIY in car retrofitters tool to perfect things that retrofitters normally do on the bench. The mib2 standard firmware does for me (512) so I have left that alone (that one is not my car so I'd be in deep trouble if I messed it up, just do the Mapcare workaround on that). If you mess the unit up via a DIY firmware update whether mib2 standard or mib2 high you will need a retrofitter to sort it out.

If your dealer is prepared to do a firmware update for you to fix it all the better. The board sponsor does a paid service. East Yorkshire Retrofit, them and their associate worker(s) can sort out any mistakes that users make via DIY methods... have done in the past with people that post on the mib2 software thread. Taking the unit apart and shorting pins out for force a reset as I understand it, then the usb Ethernet connection etc to program the unit on the bench... best not to get into that position.

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
Well I tried out the Anker cable, had no issues on a ~20 minute journey into town. On the way back however I did have a disconnection, what was interesting though is it happened exactly as I hit a bit of a pothole, which does seem like it might just be to do with the connection being interrupted, however after getting it working again I tried physically wiggling the cable around both the phone and car ends quite aggressively and that didn't cause any issues so who knows.

Regarding software, under system information mine shows: "Software: 0359" which it sounds like is quite old? I will definitely mention this and ask for an update next time the car is serviced. I actually am a programmer but it still sounds like more effort than it's worth to try to do it myself :p

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
Just to confirm; I have still had plenty of random disconnects with the Anker cable, so no that is not a fix. I've tried several "premium" cables now and it still happens.

In my opinion this is 100% a software issue. It may be triggered by a brief interruption in the connection but it's got to be some kind of bug that stops it from reconnecting. I can only assume it's the car rather than the phone as AA was flawless with this same phone on my previous car. My service is due soon so I will see if SEAT have anything to say about it and if they can do an update.

Steve J

May 26, 2019
For me personally I solved this issue using my Huawei P30 Pro by using a genuine hauwei white cable. I tried Anker before and it disconnected non stop. Ever since I've used this cable on my current and last Leon it hasn't disconnected once. If you've got a Hauwei definitely try it

Quinncube

Aug 19, 2021
Hi all,
Sorry to thread jack, and a complete Noob question. But can you just get a software update at your local Seat dealer?
I have been having a lot of issues with the bluetooth and AA in my Leon, but do not get it serviced at a main dealer any more.

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
I enquired about this when I booked my service. They had one suggestion which was supposedly this is caused by spotify, so if I don't use that it wont happen. I'm doubtful as it seems more like a convenient excuse as I used the same phone on another car with no issues. They did offer to do a diagnostic for £70 but didn't feel it was worth it for now.

Reactions: Quinncube

Tell

Staff member
Which firmware release are you on QTom. As I said specific software is known to have AA issues. It's the firmware thread linked to above if you fancy DIY or the boards retrofitter sponsor, East Yorkshire Retrofit for a paid solution. Your firmware may have a known issue but you'd have to ask on the other thread. Quite knowledge over there. Being '17 it's going to be an old train, the yxx code. y being the train. You cant easily jump trains, but the train may be finished off on one that is more reliable. If it's a standard mib2, East Yorkshire offer a return service to jump trains. 515 being the most reliable train in the 5 series which is the last one before mib3 took over. Jumping trains yourself requires programming and I'm not totally sure what progress they made on that thread. There is a write up. Think some have done it but if you can't do modern coding you won't be doing it yourself. Python skills... had to look back 🤣. Fortran I'd be fine.

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
Which firmware release are you on QTom. As I said specific software is known to have AA issues. It's the firmware thread linked to above if you fancy DIY or the boards retrofitter sponsor, East Yorkshire Retrofit for a paid solution. Your firmware may have a known issue but you'd have to ask on the other thread. Quite knowledge over there. Being '17 it's going to be an old train, the yxx code. y being the train. You cant easily jump trains, but the train may be finished off on one that is more reliable. If it's a standard mib2, East Yorkshire offer a return service to jump trains. 515 being the most reliable train in the 5 series which is the last one before mib3 took over. Jumping trains yourself requires programming and I'm not totally sure what progress they made on that thread. There is a write up. Think some have done it but if you can't do modern coding you won't be doing it yourself. Python skills... had to look back 🤣. Fortran I'd be fine.

In the system info it says Software: 0359, is that the number you mean?

Tell

Staff member
In the system info it says Software: 0359, is that the number you mean?
It is the number. There is a 0368T which is the last in that series. Conversation starts here. Find your way around that repository can be tricky.

Shown on the link 1048 it's there. All risk is down to you thou. I'd read the thread. If you install it, the unit reboots a few times and you need the engine running since any loss of power may corrupt the unit since you loose the software that's doing the installation. Then you contact the boards Retrofitter sponsor to sort it out, other than that you have to take it apart and short some pins out etc. Talked about on the thread. Installed from an SD card. Best to use a PC to unzip the contents. Goes in the root.

Reactions: QTom

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
Sorry to bump an old thread but thought I would put an update. I have just gotten a new phone (Galaxy S21 FE) and so far I have not had any of these disconnections. The new phone is Android 12 vs 10 on my old one. There's a chance it's still intermittent and I've just been lucky so far but I've used it several times with no issues.

I still think it was at least partly an issue with the car because my old phone worked fine on my previous car but perhaps there was an issue fixed on newer versions of android or something. Either way it has worked flawlessly with my new phone so far (and is much more responsive).

Reactions: Walone
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise