Another painted caliper thread with pictures

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Had a few days off so decided to repaint my calipers as they were starting to corrode. Struggled to choose a colour but in the end went red (bit boring) as the car is red. Ive only done the fronts at the moment but will update once i get the backs done.

Got a kit from Ebay for around £18 delivered and some stickers to finish it off for £2.50.

Some pictures as i went along.

Firstly 3.5 years of grime to clean off.

85117147.jpg
[/IMG]

Took about 30 mins of scrubbing.

48110467.jpg
[/IMG]

The kit from Ebay

32662168.jpg
[/IMG]

I used a small modeling brush to carefully go around the outside. No turning back now.

61877628.jpg
[/IMG]

I figured on 3 coats to get a good finish but in the end 2 were enough. I was pleased with the small stickers as the larger type are a bit OTT on FR calipers

46674490.jpg
[/IMG]

Between coats i took the time to give the alloys a good wash and re-coat (coated from new) the insides with Waxoyl. I was pleased to find no corrosion.

47307909.jpg
[/IMG]

60776387.jpg
[/IMG]

Iam pleased how they look. Not too chavy with the stickers. They look more red in true life but have come out a bit orange on the camera. Just the backs to do but i want to spend some time to de-rust the rear discs as well. :D

58298553.jpg
[/IMG]

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Good spot ;)

I just placed it back for the picture as the car was still on stands and i needed to torque the nuts on the ground :D

Yeah i have a good eye for detail ha ha

Are those wheels still the original finish (not been refurbed)?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
what is kit like? I have alwas used hammerite..... £10...

I used hammerite on my MR2 a couple of years back and they are still good.

The kit paint was really good and seemed to cover better than hammerite as it went on thin on the first coat and kinda self finished on the second, ive also over 3/4 left so loads for the rears. The cleaner was quite good but i had done such a good job with the tooth brush and soapy water i could have prob not used it. The supplied brush was prob the cheapest piece of crap ever :whistle: I binned it straight away. :(

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Look as though they are in good nick then (apart from the dirt :p). My car is only on 32k and the wheels are quite pitted. Want them refurbed.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
i used that ebay kit on my seat sport calipers i thought the paint was brilliant and the colour is really red i call it blood red.

I was quite impressed by the paint and how well it covered. Yes your right its a real deep red but comes out a bit orange on my camera :(

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Deffo need bigger brakes on the FR as ive had a couple of close calls when i didn't think it was going to stop in time :whistle:

I want to take a bit more time on my rears and take off the discs to remove the ridge of rust before they flag it up on the MOT. :rolleyes:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise