another tyres thread but more!

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
as my front tyres need changing soon im looking at the dunlop sp sport 9000s and also the goodyear eagle f1 gsd3. has anyone here got either of these tyres and what do they think of them? both i can get for under £100 each and thats my budget really, if there is anything else people care to reccomend then go for it (need rim protection as a must though).
on top of that my front brake discs are getting a bit low and will need changing soon also - i've never been overly impressed with the brakes so was wondering what to consider as an upgrade which won't brake the bank?
cheers guys, have to say this forum rocks for real life opinions - the stealers told me the goodyears were crap and noisy which i knew is bollox as i had some on a bmw and loved them (although maybe different cars respond differently, im no expert)

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
GSD3's have been replaced with "Goodyear Asymetric" beats the GSD3's in all the mag tests, so well worth going for ...

Dunlops I have always found poor until the last 3mm or so - then they are wicked (in the dry!)

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
As for brakes, not sure what the cost is ... but in the Cupra I drove the other week i kept hitting me head on the windscreen every time I went near the middle peddle :lol:

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
eagles are crap sorry to say this

i had in a civic

dunlop 9000 nice tyres
eagles f1 crap
pirelli pzero rosso awesome tyre
and bfgoodrich gforce tyres awesome tyre

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
There's a major complaint from the Focus ST people about the Goodyear Asymetrics, which were fitted as standard, in that the sidewalls tended to be quite soft and prone to splitting so bear that in mind. They may have come higher in short term tests, but when you have to live with and pay for them, the story may be slightly different.

andycupra

status subject to change
the good year asymetrics will also be over budget for this thread? although this depends on the tyres size.

If you want to be well under budget then consider Falkern 452s.

As for brakes, replace with the same disks but use Ferrodo ds2500.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
the good year asymetrics will also be over budget for this thread? although this depends on the tyres size.

Also depends on where you get them from. I knew somewhere that was willing to do them for <£100 in 225/40/18 when I had my ST. :shrug:

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
hmm, yeah i was looking at the new asymetrics but decided that i didn't feel i needed to spend that much. i'm not a cheapskate but i think £100 per corner is gonna get me some decent tyres - i hope!

will look into upgrading the pads to the Ferrodos - cheers guys!

Fishy

May 16, 2005
I've had the GSD3's on another car and found them very good. I've had the Dunlop Sport Maxx's (next one up from the 9000's) and they were also pretty good.

Over the two I'd go with the Dunlop's again.

I am currently running Conti Sport Contact 2's (18's), which I am waiting to kill. They are CRAP!

Fish

Poverty

eagles are crap sorry to say this

i had in a civic

dunlop 9000 nice tyres
eagles f1 crap
pirelli pzero rosso awesome tyre
and bfgoodrich gforce tyres awesome tyre

lol there are loads of different eagle F1 tyres. Are you sure you had the GSD3' versions as everyone who is in the know will tell you that they are far from crap. The rest of the F1 range is probably "crap" though.

I mean you seem to rate the pzero's and bf goodrich's when they are clearly inferior tyres to the GSD3's.

Oh and for really good prices go to blackcirlces or camskill. Mytyres are way overpriced these days.

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
lol there are loads of different eagle F1 tyres. Are you sure you had the GSD3' versions as everyone who is in the know will tell you that they are far from crap. The rest of the F1 range is probably "crap" though.

I mean you seem to rate the pzero's and bf goodrich's when they are clearly inferior tyres to the GSD3's.

Oh and for really good prices go to blackcirlces or camskill. Mytyres are way overpriced these days.

they are gsd3 they are still in the civic with 10k km in them and i can tell you i would use the dunlop 9000 before these and the rosso and gforce arent in any way inferior to the gsd3....

the civic with this tyres feels all over the place in the twisty roads i live, very uncomfortable, glad its my old car and i dont use a lot anymore its now the back up car and my leon wont touch the dsg3

Igor23

Growing old disgracefully
Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
Er, I have to disagree about the standard pirellis rossos fitted to the Cupra, the compound's way too hard, especially if the car's been remapped, spends more time spinning the wheels in cold weather, maybe the p-zero neros, now on my old lupo gti, they're sensational, but that's half the bhp/torque of my Cupra....

Poverty

they are gsd3 they are still in the civic with 10k km in them and i can tell you i would use the dunlop 9000 before these and the rosso and gforce arent in any way inferior to the gsd3....

the civic with this tyres feels all over the place in the twisty roads i live, very uncomfortable, glad its my old car and i dont use a lot anymore its now the back up car and my leon wont touch the dsg3

Maybe you got lumbered with the illegal cheap chinese copies. Maybe your suspension needs looking at but GSD3's are favourites from here to america, from mazda's, to ibizas to corvettes. Are the alloys on your civic the standard ones?

I dont rate the dunlops at all for light cars although I hear the sportmaxx is meant to be better.

Michael Knight

May i sugest Uniroyal rainsports. soft compound, so don't expect a lot of mileage. But if its grip you want then they are wkd, even in the wet. German car, German tyre lol

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
thanks for all the replies - following extensive research the best tyre by far seems to be the goodyear gsd3 - so many reccomendations across a huge range of cars and to top it off i went to national tyres and the although they couldn't get them for me they said the GSD3s are the **** as its he only thing they all use (which was true, 3 cars outside with the goodyears on!).
i know they ain't the latest and greatest but hey i'm saving a few quid as well which i can put towards the new discs and pads i need on top of tyres and insurance this month:cry:

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
Maybe you got lumbered with the illegal cheap chinese copies. Maybe your suspension needs looking at but GSD3's are favourites from here to america, from mazda's, to ibizas to corvettes. Are the alloys on your civic the standard ones?

I dont rate the dunlops at all for light cars although I hear the sportmaxx is meant to be better.

well i doubt it, i have a friend that works for goodyear and thats why in the first place i got them they were 50% off so i couldnt resist getting them, the suspension is fine and i have 17" rims on it with eibach sportline

that the way it is, at least here in venezuela the gsd3 sux lol :shrug:

caveo

yokoharma parada 2's from my local motor save in 17" were 96 quid fitted and they grip on for dear life , even in the wet ( good stuff when running over 300 bhp )

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise