Anybody got an APR intercooler?

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
hey guys im just wondering if anybody using an APR intercooler?

Im looking at buying a Leon FR or an mk2 Octavia Vrs and one of the first things im wanting to do is change the intercooler, obviuosly it be important when i up the power but i was also thinking of saveing the car any stress before get remap exhaust etc.

The only reason im thinking along these lines is that im sure my intercooler on my mk1 cupra is one of the reasons its still going strong on nearly 117k and still pulls like a train when the mood takes me.

Any info and opinions on different ideas are welcome as im just looking and weighing up the options.

Cheers.Luke

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
The APR intercooler is massive although too expensive. For a stock car the APR intercooler is an overkill, for a mildly tuned car again not necessary. I'll say it's only usefull when you wanna go over the top. If you keep the FR's or VRs' stock turbo I don't think you need to spend a 1000 pounds on an intercooler. An S3 intercooler would be the best value for money in this case.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
I say S3 cooler to start with (k04 cars are using this upto 360HP no issues), then if you feel the need at a later date you can attach the forge twintercooler to it at the smae time and get even better cooling

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
I know of at least two members of the forum who run the APR Intercooler on their MKII Cupras. ZBoyd and singh123 and their cars are running 360 odd bhp at the moment.
Alex

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
I am running mine with an S3 intercooler currently at 382 bhp and 49kg torque (ISO corrected) with Shell Vpower Racing 100 octane on MAHA. I was never left down by cooling. Plus I am on a hotter country than UK. Unless you street race every car you see on the road for over an hour you won't need a bigger cooler. It may be more usefull though if you are often on the track.

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
thanks for all the replies guys, like i said i was just after some info and ideas on what everbody else running.

i think i may go down the twintercooler and s3 route then as its bit cheaper than apr and wouldnt have to do it all in one go for whatever reason.

cheers again guys.

luke

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
thanks for all the replies guys, like i said i was just after some info and ideas on what everbody else running.

i think i may go down the twintercooler and s3 route then as its bit cheaper than apr and wouldnt have to do it all in one go for whatever reason.

cheers again guys.

luke

Buying an S3 intercooler and a additional FMIC will be almost the same in price as buying the APR from the start (at least in Greece that's the case). Please give note to what I said before - if you are going for an FR or a Skoda VRs go for the APR intercooler only if you are going for a K04 turbo upgrade or bigger.

Last edited:

singh123

Cupra
Mar 17, 2008
Hi mate i have the apr kit, its a great peice of kit i have no issues with it all it keeps everythong running nice and cool and plus when i got mine it was on a special price so i couldnt refuse ;)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Hi mate i have the apr kit, its a great peice of kit i have no issues with it all it keeps everythong running nice and cool and plus when i got mine it was on a special price so i couldnt refuse ;)

Its a quality item, the build is second to none and you get what you pay for at the end of day and that's what choice is about. :)

Ares is correct in that it is probably overkill for a k04 and was designed specifically for APR's big turbo kits. However it does its job very well and its the largest most efficient IC you can get in the OEM space. I didn't want the IC to be on show as I prefer my car to be a bit of sleeper really, other than the 19" rims. :cartman:

An IC isn't only about reducing temperatures, the improved air flow takes stress off the components and increases the recovery rate of the engine allowing it to better reach and surpass its potential. Nothing up with the other options though, and as I say that's what choice is all about.

But the special offer price was helpful too. ;)

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
An IC isn't only about reducing temperatures, the improved air flow takes stress off the components and increases the recovery rate of the engine allowing it to better reach and surpass its potential.

Thats along the lines i was thinking off, as i said in OP im sure thats one of the reasons my Mk1 LC is still going strong. (nearly 9yrs old and 116k)

Thanks for the responses guys it giving me plenty to think about, hopefully going to start looking for new car in next few weeks.

Luke

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Just seen a pic of an s3 one, looks tiny!

there's not a mass of space back there.

A chap I know who ran a twintercooler with his S3 unit professes he didn't see any massive benefit.

I think the way an IC allows air to flow (including the piping around it) can be as important as the overall size of it. I don't know the eact science of it, but you don't want pressure drops.

And whilst it has plastic end plates as opposed to metal like the aftermarket ones, I'd imagine the plastic is pretty reasonable as dissipating heat.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
This is a comparison image of APR versus the S3 and the VW GTI (197hp) which I have found.

The GTI cooler incidentally looks identical to the OEM Cupra intercooler but I can't verify that without measuring my old one.

intercooler_mkv_vergleich.jpg

Core Width
GTI - 32mm
S3 - 40mm
APR - 57mm

Inlet ID:
GTI - 53mm
S3 - 48mm
APR - 57mm

This is the APR cooler
main.php

Stock Cupra the one taken off my car.
main.php

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
^^^
Was just about to say the THS intercooler may also be one to consider as its very similar to the APR but a fair bit cheaper and has proven to perform well on Revo's K1 and the Golfs.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise