Anyone else disappointed with mpg on the 1.6tdi?

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I also find the 1.6 CR TDI needs a completely different driving style to the old PD engines. You really need to rev it up to make quick progress. You must also be careful not to be caught in 3rd gear at low speeds on junctions or roundabouts. You must change down to 2nd which is something you never had to do on the 1.9 PD TDI.

My mk4 1.9 TDI FR used to get 45MPG on the trip to work. The same trip in my 1.6 CR TDI gets 56MPG.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
You must also be careful not to be caught in 3rd gear at low speeds on junctions or roundabouts.

completely agree, needs to be kept above 17/1800rpm if you want to get anywhere quickly, in fact, other than the limited rev range, and sound, it's pretty petrol-like.

Last edited:

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
Firstly, I managed 58mpg today hoorah! took the lightest foot in the world but managed it lol
Secondly, I totally agree with the stalling thing. I have never stalled a car so much as this one! U need to rev it when pulling away at junctions or it catches you out! My mate has golf gtd and says exactly the same about that engine. He doesnt like it cos it doesnt suit his driving style he said - i sort of know what he means. He likes putting it in a high gear and leaving it there, you cant do that with these engines - they want u to change down!

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Firstly, I managed 58mpg today hoorah! took the lightest foot in the world but managed it lol
Secondly, I totally agree with the stalling thing. I have never stalled a car so much as this one! U need to rev it when pulling away at junctions or it catches you out! My mate has golf gtd and says exactly the same about that engine. He doesnt like it cos it doesnt suit his driving style he said - i sort of know what he means. He likes putting it in a high gear and leaving it there, you cant do that with these engines - they want u to change down!

Agreed, I actually feel like I'm driving less economically with this car that I did with my previous Ibiza - yet the MPG is much better, weird.

shaz213

Hi all - First time post!!!

I took delivery of my Ibiza 1.6 CR Sport in October 2009 and to be fair it has been a complete disaster. Currently talking to Seat regarding the poor fuel consumption I have - average 43mpg, kind of expected somewhere in the region of 58mpg. I do 25 miles to work and the drive is a mixture of dual & single carriageway, very rarely get above 60mph.

Since I have owned the car it has been into the dealer on thirteen occasions with several different problems - some I have listed below

ipod not connecting to the head unit - says media loading and nothing happens and when it does connect the distortation is so bad you don't want to listen to it - I have now had two replacement cradles fitted and still the problem persists.

Throttle housing casing cracked after two weeks of ownership - car spent three weeks in the garage waiting for a part.

New Windscreen fitted as the original was de-laminating.

New centre caps fitted to the wheels - originals had corroded.

The poor fuel economy is being invesigated by Seat UK and they are in agreement that is very much below what they would expect the car to do and are going to carry out a compression test.

Rear brakes binding - dealer said I had picked up a stone but after taking to another garage the problem was that the hand brake cable had been over adjusted.

I am beginning to wish that I had never purchased the car but I am sure it will all be resolved eventually but only through Seat UK getting involved and speaking directly to the dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I picked up my 1.6 CR TDI five door last Friday, so not had long with it but so far I am very happy. The fuel consumption is probably better than I expected. The dealer advised not to run it in and "rev it" a bit from new, so I am. So far I am averaging 56mpg on my first tank of fuel but did average 65mpg on a 25 mile run at the weekend and that was mainly urban and country roads.

shaz213

The dark edge of the windscreen goes milky which gives a cloudy effect.

ashleigh25

does the average mpg reset everytime you turn off the ignition?

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
The average with a "1" in the top right corner of the display resets once the ignition has been off for 2 hours. if you press the button under the right hand stalk once it'll change to a "2" in the top right corner (and probably a different value) this is the long term average and resets whenever you press and hold the button under the stalk or after the car has done 999miles since the last reset or been driven for 99hours

DaBigDogg

Feb 3, 2010
Wirral, Merseyside
500 Miles to a Tank!!!!

At last I have managed to get 500+ miles to a tank of diesel. Was wondering if I was ever going to get there with my normal driving style, not into hypermiling got too much on!! Cost me £50 to fill up the tank, ouch!

Here is an image of the MFD readout, only 10 miles left till empty!

4523363821_46ca80d66f.jpg

The MFD read 57 mpg for the average readout but maybe a more accurate reading is on the graph attached, taken from my iPhone, I have an app for that....

4523985474_086784546c.jpg

You can see the considerable jump in MPG compared to the last fill ups.

Why such good mpg, two things come to mind, DPF and the warmer weather -

Went on a long steady journey to Snowdonia at the weekend, wasn't hanging about on the A55 and had a bit of a play on the twistys, but since then it has felt like the DPF is "empty" of soot, the continuous steady drive burnt off the soot and it seems like the throttle is more responsive and there is more torque, I could definitely feel the difference.

Also the warmer weather has probably meant the exhaust has reached soot burning levels quicker and is more effective when doing a regen. Have heard warmer weather is better for MPG as well, long may it continue after that winter we had!!

Anyway just my two cents, hopefully this mileage can keep up from now on, doubt it though.

I am suprised about the issues a few are having, mine has been rock solid, not even seen the dreaded DPF light yet, some of you must of had a Friday afternoon car or something, feel quite lucky I guess.

On a separate note even though I have not had any problems with my DPF that DPF-Delete looks promising in regards to mpg, maybe that's were the extra 5-10 mpg is going, trying to clear it! A bag of sand + to get it removed though, wont be getting that any time soon.