Seat/Cupra Leon 1.4 eHybrid - Long Commute/Distance MPG

Mar 8, 2022
Hello,

I am currently looking at one of the new Seat/Cupra Leon 1.4 eHybrid cars, and wanted to know if anyone is able to confirm what the actual MPG for this is on longer commutes/journeys?

My commute to work is around a 85 mile round-trip, with 70% of it being motorway.
I would only be able to charge the car at night when home, and there are no nearby charging points at work.

A lot of the reviews and figures online are either for short distances where it is primarily electric-only use... or 200+ mile trips that make the MPG sound a lot less than what is advertised.
I wanted to know if anyone has a similar commute or done similar journeys, where they are able to start with a full charge? What the realistic MPG I can expect from this is?

Currently I am looking at the Seat Leon eHybid version, however if the MPGs for this appear to be better than I think, then may go for a Cupra version... not sure what effect this would have on the MPGs however.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chemical Matt

Dec 16, 2020
I've had the eHybrid for a year now and mainly do longer journeys. If I'm fully charged then for this length of journey I generally get about 60mpg. This is normal driving, mostly on cruise control and without paying particular attention to economy. On journeys longer than this the battery starts to become empy and then I'm down to 40mpg ish.
I'd come from a 2L diesel Skoda Superb which did 60mpg on long journeys easily, had a fuel tank twice the size and a bigger boot so the Leon economy is just ok for me.

Where it excels is local journeys on electric only or with a bit of engine.....and of course reducing my company car tax bill.

Ollie

Jul 26, 2019
This may or may not help, but I have the CUPRA Leon eHybrid (hatch) and on a run from my town to my folks (40 miles each way) I will average about 70mpg. This includes about 2 miles each side of urban driving, and the rest A14. I would get back on near enough 0% battery though, the system will work out what's best for you when you drive.

I'd say the SEAT should be better given its 50 odd HP down on power, won't be on 19 inch wheels, so 70mpg would be easily achievable too in the SEAT.

How you drive it of course will be the real tell, as with any car!

Hope this helps.

Piles

Apr 11, 2022
This is what mine claimed to get on a full charge with 99 octane fuel on mostly a A road, 155 mile round trip where the battery ran out around 5 miles before I got home, this was in eco mode hybrid.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 364

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
I travel to the south coast each weekend and cover 65 miles each way. Like you the journey is about 70% on the motorway or dual carriageway, the rest on A roads. On each 65 mile trip with a full battery, I achieve between 85 to 115 MPG depending on weather and traffic conditions etc.
Through trial and error, I've found the best way to get the highest MPG figures are:
Select the ECO setting.
Start off in intelligent hybrid mode
When the battery range in miles matches the distance left in miles, switch to E mode to maximise to use of the battery.
Keep your speed down to about 60-65 MPH and no boy racer stuff pulling away from traffic lights and roundabouts etc.

As you are covering 20 miles more than me, you still should be able to get more than 70 MPG.

Don't forget there are huge variables involved such as cold weather that effects battery performance, fast and high speed driving styles, traffic conditions, the amount of hills etc.

Last edited:

Piles

Apr 11, 2022
intelligent hybrid mode? is mine just called hybrid or am i missing something?

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
On the main infotainment screen, get the screen to show the three mini screens. Do a long press on any of the mini screens and a menu will come up with options to change the selected mini screen display. One of the options will be the intelligent hybrid mode. Enter your destination postcode into the box on the mini screen and the car will supposedly know your route from the built in maps and choose the most efficient times to use petrol or battery.
Not sure if I've explained this very well, let us know how you get on.

Chemical Matt

Dec 16, 2020
I travel to the south coast each weekend and cover 65 miles each way. Like you the journey is about 70% on the motorway or dual carriageway, the rest on A roads. On each 65 mile trip with a full battery, I achieve between 85 to 115 MPG depending on weather and traffic conditions etc.
Through trial and error, I've found the best way to get the highest MPG figures are:
Select the ECO setting.
Start off in intelligent hybrid mode
When the battery range in miles matches the distance left in miles, switch to E mode to maximise to use of the battery.
Keep your speed down to about 60-65 MPH and no boy racer stuff pulling away from traffic lights and roundabouts etc.

As you are covering 20 miles more than me, you still should be able to get more than 70 MPG.

Don't forget there are huge variables involved such as cold weather that effects battery performance, fast and high speed driving styles, traffic conditions, the amount of hills etc.
This is my downfall then. I'm perpetually late for appointments so always rushing and the performance in sport mode is too addictive.;)

Reactions: DandyAndy

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
This is my downfall then. I'm perpetually late for appointments so always rushing and the performance in sport mode is too addictive.;)
I never worried much about fuel consumption till getting this car. I'm now addicted to trying to beat my best MPG figures on similar trips. I've only used sports mode once or twice to see what it's like. As for using the heater, forget it. Can't have any thing lowering my MPG. I must have a bit ot Yorkshire in me. :giggle:

Reactions: seany72uk

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Really don't get this hybrid/electric thing. It's far from "green". Too many adverts saying how much money they save etc........They are expensive to buy in the firstplace, already have a huge carbon footprint because of the battery manufacture, and way too complex as said in one post above trying to balance range on electric with range on fuel etc. And don't forget that going elctric/hybrid isn't going to be a long term saving on road tax either, from 2025 all electrics registered from 2017 will start paying road tax same as anyone else.
As far as fully electric goes, the range available just doesn't cut it for me, and the infrastructure is just not fit for purpose yet. Yes it is improving, but it's not there yet. A lot of work needs to be done to make the cars more user friendly, and able to charge without worrying where availabiliy is going to be. And how long charging will take.
Reckon I'm staying on diesel at the moment!

Kaxolo

Dec 23, 2021
I dont agree with that. I come from a petrol Ford Fiesta (82HP) and my monthly expenses on petrol were around 300€ having to drive 120km (60+60) to work (not every days as I can work from home some days too). My first 2 months with the Leon Hybrid the petrol expenses went down to around 100€ and the electricity bill went up around 50€ only, and this is a 150HP engine!! (204HP with the electric together).
As soon as I got the car I changed my electricity plan to the night saver and only charge the car at night (except for a few occassions if i need to).

That´s 150€ saving each month which would have been 1800€ in a year if the prices dind´t start going up like crazy. But still, i would be expending even more on petrol if it was a petrol only car.
Here in Ireland we pay the same road tax as an electric car, which is the minimum.
Also the difference in price between hybrid and not hybrid, at least here in Ireland, is around 6000€ with the savings I was talking about before in 3 and a half years you´ve made up the difference and you just save after.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.