Anyone used the tyre mobility kit?

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
I live in fear of having a puncture at the side of the road since buying my new Leon :( Has anyone got any experience of actually using the repair kit in anger? Can the tyre be repaired once this has been used?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
You'd be better getting a spare wheel and tool kit. I picked one up from an Audi A3 on eBay for about £70.

Usually the tyre needs replaced after using the kit.

Nobziller

Apr 26, 2015
I have the spare changed the tyre in 10 mins in the pissing rain at 5 am! So **** the kit! Lol. But I'm pretty handy with tools and my hands!

Mk3 Se

Dec 1, 2015
Full sized spare (15") on steel wheel from MyTyres cost about £70 delivered. Jack cost £10 off e-bay. Fits in the well fine but it does lift the floor a couple of inches (which is not an issue for us). Gunge and inflator now in shed to be refitted when we swap the car. If the new car is a VAG one hopefully the wheel will fit that.

Gunge will only fix some punctures and there is no way I want to be sitting at the side of the M1 waiting for a recovery truck just because of a flat.

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
First leon(bought 2nd hand) came with an inflator... I managed to hit a rock(part of a dry stone wall) on a country lane which punctured the tyre and damage the wheel ended up borrowing a spare wheel from a friend, so this time I made sure the new car had a spare tyre.... probably will never need to use it....

Peter55

Jan 20, 2016
Hexham
Always better to have a spare, but as we all have Roadside Recovery you can always let them get their hands dirty

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
First leon(bought 2nd hand) came with an inflator... I managed to hit a rock(part of a dry stone wall) on a country lane which punctured the tyre and damage the wheel ended up borrowing a spare wheel from a friend, so this time I made sure the new car had a spare tyre.... probably will never need to use it....

I hoped i'd never need to use mine either but actually needed it a few nights before Christmas when I managed to get a screw in my tyre, was so glad I had it! :)

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
Bought a space saver spare wheel when i got my car and payed trade price,so far used it twice a puncture but still had to buy a new tyre and to put on as i clean my rims.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
One cool thing about the ST is the space for a full-sized spare. You can buy a Skoda tool kit that fits inside it and has the correct tools for the car. Fit and forget the inflater kit ever existed.

FRvirgin

Jan 3, 2016
S Yorks
Can anyone confirm if a 16" steel rim full size spare, as supplied by Skoda on non vRS models, fits a Leon FR 1.8 TSI with standard 17" alloys. I'm not sure if the Leon has larger front discs?

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
The 1.8 TSI Leon runs 312mm front brakes, 16" steel rim will clear this no problems. Unless you have an ST Leon, it won't sit flush in the spare wheel well though.

Last edited:

page3

Dec 25, 2015
Had a puncture with only 530 miles on the clock! As it was a fairly slow one (nail) I limped it home (and to a tyre place the next day) stopping every few miles to pump the tyre up again. The inflator is an excellent bit of kit, and even with a spare wheel it's great for not having to bother with a garage when checking your tyre pressures.

I've winters for the other car, which should fit fine. Intend on taking one with when on holiday, and relying on breakdown cover for the usual commute.

FRvirgin

Jan 3, 2016
S Yorks
The 1.8 TSI Leon runs 312mm front brakes, 16" steel rim will clear this no problems. Unless you have an ST Leon, it won't sit flush in the spare wheel well though.

Ok cheers, I'll give it a try, I think its 205mm wide so 20mm less than the alloys. Looks like the O3 will be traded in next week, minus the spare, lol!!

FRvirgin

Jan 3, 2016
S Yorks
Bu99er, didn't realise the wheel well is only for a space saver! Ah well, who ever buys the O3 gets the spare!

Rosskie

Apr 20, 2013
old thread, but I've an mk3 ST and just put a full sized spare in there no bother.

Rosskie

Apr 20, 2013
does the jack for the ST need a specific head or will any old vw group jack do?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
does the jack for the ST need a specific head or will any old vw group jack do?

No, they have different heads. You need one from a car that uses the same floorpan, which thankfully gives you a lot of choice.

Seat have not marketed a tool box that fits inside the wheel, as they have not sold a full-sized spare as an option, but other VW group brands have. Skoda have a kit that fits the standard 16'' Seat wheels perfectly. The Skoda part number: 5E0 093 860.

The kit includes:

Foam box.
Jack/winding arm
wheel brace
Alloy wheel fixing nut/lug
tie-down strap

The foam has spaces for other parts which you can transfer over:

Wheel-bolt cover remover
locking wheel key
towing eye
Skoda spare bulb box

It's a perfect solution but take care as I've seen the kit sold with a scissor-jack too. Which you don't want. You can see it on this thread: LINK

Rosskie

Apr 20, 2013
Sorry - The scissor jack seems to be the one you got with the mk3 octy kit, is that's no use?

Thanks again

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Sorry - The scissor jack seems to be the one you got with the mk3 octy kit, is that's no use?

They are not as strong and on the odd occasion have been known to collapse. Your call but not something I want.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.