AP Lowering springs with shocks.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Hello all......
Had the SP81-009 40/30 lowering kit fitted to my Toledo20vt 4 years ago, and am about to have the second replacement spring fitted tomorrow, due to the first 2 breaking.
Has anyone else had problems with AP suspension springs breaking ?
I will add that I do only about 6000 miles p/a and always go over speed humps very slowly, probably about walking pace.

hombre_paulo

Jan 12, 2013
If its any condolences I've just had a spring snap on my ST by KW kit on my LCR. Only done 50k in 5 years

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
I have a feeling that these aftermarket springs are nowhere near the quality of the original springs........poor quality steel, poor tempering etc.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
For that price get both sides done - always advisable to replace both sides of an axle at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
When I came to change springs on my old Cupra I had 2 that had snapped. Proper pain.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
I've just had the wheel off and had a look......shock looks easy but changing spring will deffo require spring compressors.......garage can do that.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I've just had the wheel off and had a look......shock looks easy but changing spring will deffo require spring compressors.......garage can do that.
Is it not a rear beam?

Unbolt bottom of shocks and out pops the spring

very straight forward

No spring compressors req for rear just a trolley jack to take the compression of the spring

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Tried that but the suspension arm wouldn't drop low enough to get the broken spring out.
You need the rear on axle stands on the sills and then unbolt both rear shocks at the bottom, with a trolley jack under the spring cup to take the compression then lower jack and voila spring will almost fall out.

refit is same as removal but in reverse, use trolley jack to get the spring compressed enough to slot the bolt into the bottom of the shock

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise