Apple CarPlay and data usage

Nov 7, 2020
I have never tried Apple CarPlay before now, so it's a new world for me, and I'm not quite sure how it works regarding data usage. I have connected it wirelessly, and it plays music through the cars speakers, so it works fine. The infotainment system say that it's setup as a hotspot and have 1 user connected, that's my phone. When i then play music using CarPlay from my phone, does it so use data from my phone sim or from the cars esim? And does the esim in the car have unlimited data usage?

Educated Scruff

Nov 19, 2020
I use Android Auto and if I am playing music stored on your phone then only normal phone data usage I.e data for email etc, but if I stream music from another party I.e Qobuz, deezer etc than phones data usage for streaming downloads. Also obviously using the phones maps etc is also fairly heavy data usage.
I would imagine iPhone would be the same.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020
Sorry, I was not clear in my question, the music is not locally om my phone, it’s streaming download. So normally when I’m away from my houses wifi, the phone use it’s own sim card for the data usage, but I’m not sure if it instead use the cars esim for datausage when I stream the music using CarPlay, is it the car or my phone that make the stream download from the music supplier?

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
I'm know expert on carplay, but if your phone is connected to WiFi (either home or in car) then it would use the WiFi for internet access. I'm not sure how apple phones work but it might use it's own 4G if the WiFi network it's connected to has no internet access(ie you have no data plan for Esim). I have seen a setting for this in some android phones.

The Esim does require a data plan from cubic telecom to provide internet access on the hotspot (at least it does in the UK)

The sure way to test would be to connect your phone to carplay as you would normally, turn off the 4G on the phone, and try streaming a random song you haven't listened to, If it still streams then your getting internet access over the cars Esim

Also make sure the car isn't connected to any WiFi network, and is using the data connection(Esim). Go to infotainment settings > Data connection > use Esim is checked

Most streaming apps actually cache(automatically download) the songs if you listen to the same songs often

Educated Scruff

Nov 19, 2020
It’s your phone SIM card that uses the data for the music streaming while driving and away from home wi fi connection.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Probably an app from your provider will tell you the data consumption. The new fangled connect service if connected via the eSim will eat into your Seat data if it getting from their. As Dan says above turn 4g DATA off on your phone and see whether you get anything. That's the test which resolves it...

I've seen talk of the Seat data allowance on foreign boards. It's going to get interesting when the one year is up on the Seat eSim. Well you can turn data off on Android... pass on Apple stuff.

Nov 7, 2020
Good tip, I will disconnect 4G on my phone next time I'm in the car and see what happens. My car is leased for 3 years and I have no clue what data plan I have with the car, there have to be something, otherwise I should not have that white globus in the infotainment window, I guess. I will ask the dealer what is included for these 3 years.

shanec07

Apr 22, 2015
Sligo Ireland
Car play shows if you are connected to 4/5G or WiFi either above or below the time on the display

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.