APR or Bells Auto???

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
Right stuck in a dilema, getting remap...

Do i go for APR which is only half an hour away n costs £450

or

Bell auto custom map "Personal map on standard car, with adjustments to suite driving style and needs, a lot stronger than generic maps/tuning" which means a 3 1/2hour drive to york and petrol so working out about £345

Then i've got £100 extra to spend on carbonio...:)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
What other mods have you got on the car? Do you intend on doing any more?

Custom maps are excellent if your car is not otherwise standard, as they can adjust the map to take these into consideration. So on that basis, get everything else done first and then get the map.

Generic maps will be based on a few assumptions, like what exhaust and filter you have. These often have the ability to adapt a small amount to cater for any future 'bolt on' mods such as exhausts and filters.

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
hi, well apart from the forge recirc valve n then possibly the carbonio, so if i was going for the Bell auto one, i should buy the carbonio 1st?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
If you're going for a custom map then do the engine mods first, yeah. That way they can adjust it to make the most of the changes.

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Oh blimey yes go down the route of APR as it comes with a FREE cup of tea ;)
But I would say that wouldn`t I ?
Sarah

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
lol, hi sarah, see i just don't know!!! the 3 1/2 hour driving doesn't bother me though, but then i would need to order my carbonio from awesome anyway, so kinda fair on both companies...:)

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
ok just looking at the website pricing scheme under bell auto, the 295 remap does not take mods into consideration....

Prices are as follows for the 1.9TDI (EDC15 ECU), 1.8T (Bosch ME7 ECU) and many more of the VAG range:

- Generic map loaded with NO adjustments slightly weaker power and torque than personal mapping is £250.00 all inc.

- Personal map on standard car, with adjustments to suite driving style and needs, a lot stronger than generic maps/tuning £295.00 all inc.

- Full custom writen map, with adjustments to suite modifications and driving style, a lot stronger than generic maps/tuning £345.00 all inc.

So it wouldn't matter if i put the carbonio on after the remap is done?!?!?!?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
No, in that case it's simply a generic map with minor alterations to suit the way it delivers power. The same sort of thing can be achieved on most maps and I'm sure APR is no different.

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
i have the bell auto map on my car and....it fooking flies mate.

I also have the Carbonio and forge DV.

look at results in my sig.

The torque reading is what vag com showed on test drive after the map

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
so in order to save money i should go with bell auto? is it worth while paying the extra £50 at bell auto to get it customed to my car?(if i put the carbonio in)

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
I personally would mate.

He sets it up and plays with the map to map the car to the mods that are on it.

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
ok bell auto it is then, get that done then order my carbonio, then order a bluetooth elm327 connector so i can connect with me pda...:)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Is he unable to reply?

Why does he think that you need a filter 1st?

It won't aid spool up, and won't limit maximum boost. All it will allow is about 5% more top end air flow, which won't be mapped to.... it'll just happen.

a tayloring of the map will go on where the timing correction & possibly the boost will be adjusted - but that's it....

I defy anyone to prove openly what difference an airfilter requires on a stage 1 map for an otherwise std car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members