APR vs REVO

Poverty

Ps 99.9% want the power lower down as at least they can use it here in the Uk.

A tiny portion of all mapped cars will see top end anywhere or go on the track.

I don't agree, I think it's split 50/50. Low down torque suits lazy driving styles and kills clutches. High end power holding suits those who use their gears to their advantage and prefer the power delivery suited to that of race tracks. Massive low down torque just equates into more wheelspin in a fwd car anyway. Saying that the APR gives high low down torque aswell, it just holds power to the red line extremely well.

When pushing on don't forget it's rare that the engine revs will drop below 4500rpm

Last edited by a moderator:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Pov - where is the proof of the fastest 1/4 mile and 30-130?

Poverty

Apr golf r did 12.2 and a 15 sec something 30-130 gps verified. I wouldn't be surprised if the golf did a 11.99 when they try again once all the usual stge 2 plus bolt ons have been added.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Having both APR and REVO on my LCR I found the following;

APR holds boost longer, driving to near red-line pulled strong, low down was easier on the tyres.

REVO tails off quicker, much stronger lower down and pulls well in the middle rev range.

REVO feels stronger through the bends to me, and I'm more a fan of driving round corners than a straight road/strip.

Spirit Furtive

Nov 20, 2010
Oxfordshire
^Have you got any logs/graphs for your car when you had the APR to compare with Revo?

Edit: Just saw your readers ride thread, nevermind.

Last edited:

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
^Have you got any logs/graphs for your car when you had the APR to compare with Revo?

Edit: Just saw your readers ride thread, nevermind.

The only thing with my logs is they are done over a period of time which isn't a fair comparison.

Ambient temps were different, fuel was not controlled etc etc.

But my findings were from a pure driving experience over time.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Apr golf r did 12.2 and a 15 sec something 30-130 gps verified. I wouldn't be surprised if the golf did a 11.99 when they try again once all the usual stge 2 plus bolt ons have been added.

So no proof really unless it is possible to prove where/when it was done and if it was also possible to prove no other 2.0T Golf R20T has done it faster.

Its a pointless comparison with a Leon anyway because it has DSG and 4 wheel drive.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
There is a link to something on another forum which kinda gives an idea of what it might be :)

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
its probably just a count down to a new website for REVO or till they announce whos replaced AwesomeGTI as a dealer

Poverty

So no proof really unless it is possible to prove where/when it was done and if it was also possible to prove no other 2.0T Golf R20T has done it faster.

Its a pointless comparison with a Leon anyway because it has DSG and 4 wheel drive.

It was done on the 18th march at bruntingthorpe proving ground on a wet day. S-tronic s3's running competitor software haven't done it as quick.

1/4 mile time done at the pod week before that.

I have gps figures from revos own Cupra.

I can pull the 30-130 data from that, and we will allow 0.3 secs for each gear change to cancel out the dsg advantage and see how they compare.

30-130 usually suits fwd cars better on a dry day also, lighter and less transmission losses.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008

Pulled this from my post on www.vagoc.co.uk

Kind of answers all of your concerns on location and proven data etc.. :)

So, today I was supposed to be at the MLR 30-130 event at Marham.. Unfortunately my TT wasn't going to be ready in time but I was able to convince APR to let me borrow the now infamous APR Stage 2+ Golf R for the day as a stand in which would let me have some fun on the day..

So up at the crack of dawn and up to Marham to be told that my passenger details had been lost and so he wasn't on the list, meaning that there was absolutely no way he would be allowed in, so that was that.. Left the venue after a chat with the organisers and decided to give Bruntingthorpe a call to see if I could drive across there and do my own day!!! haha..

Which got me to here.. :)

IMG_1287.jpg

So basically thought that I may as well make the most of having the car and luckily we had a V-Box in the car too so was able to do my own testing under controlled conditions! All good..

Quick run down of the spec..

Golf R 2.0T FSI - DSG
APR Stage 2+ Software
APR HPFP
VWR Intake system
Milltek Sports-Cat Turbo back
Stock Intercooler
VWR Brakes
VWR Suspension & Bars
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2
Gen 4 Haldex Controller

Road tyres, Shell 99 and a wet track all day..

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

So heres a little run down of the progress throughout the day!

The day was extremely wet from at the start, and my first run was to be expected..

photo-18.jpg

Not great traction but still not a bad 0-60 time.. What I found interesting however was how slow much the surface water slowed down the car (there was A LOT though)

I waited a little longer and tried again as the rain was backing off..

photo-17.jpg

Amazing how much difference a little less surface water made!

So then, I thought that there wasnt really much point trying again until it had stopped raining and once that had happened ran the next lot of runs.. The best of which being..

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

So a fair bit better but still a ton of wheel spin in first and second gear, so I knew there was more in it..

Waited as late as I possibly could before the next lot of rain came in, and although the track was still damp, no dry line at all, it was the most dry and grippiest that it had been all day.. Which resulted in the following!..

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

Launch felt just perfect, a little wheel spin in first gear due to track being wet and then hooked perfectly in second.. I think it actually helped a little as with the stock DSG software the car does bog on a grippy surface such as Santa Pod.. And also, almost no water on the track really so the car wasnt being held back in that sense..

So I was pretty pleased with that to say the least! Again, I can't stress that this is by far the fastest and most tractable 2.0T FSI that I have ever driven and these latest times show the performance pretty nicely!!..

Really a shame that I wasn't able to run the car at Marham today and have a direct comparison but maybe next time..

I think its important to note that these times are probably more representative of the true day-to-day performance of the car when compared to times at Santa Pod, due to the fact that I was able to make sure the car was nice and cool before each run, no queuing up and also on a non prepped surface meaning that the terminal speeds are not effected by excessive resistance.. (this if anything showed how much difference that makes)

All in all it ended up being a great day and just can't wait for the car to be installed with the APR Intercooler and RSC Exhaust which should open it up even more!.. When thats done I have nominated myself for a trip to Pod with the car to back things up and hopefully run an 11 second 1/4 mile on a stock K04 2.0T FSI.. (in the dry this time) haha..

Until soon..

Jc

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008
Just noticed REVO have a countdown for something on their webpage

http://www.revotechnik.com/

Will be interesting to see what that is.....

That they are going to be partnering Stasis engineering and building a technology centre at Bruntingthorpe in conjunction with Bilstein and Eibach..

So basically, spending a load of money right at the point of which their customer base is taking its biggest hit for years! lol..

Good luck! :rofl:

Last edited:

Poverty

Yeah that will be a shed load of dosh considering stasis is apparently in deep financial difficulties if what I've been told is true

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008
Hey JonnyC

Are you still on REVO remap or have you switched to APR? :whistle:

No secret that I chose to make the switch to APR.. As Pov said, best people don't dig too hard to find out why for Revo's sake

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Genuine question here, but has an R20T with different software and similar upgrades been tested in the same way on the same day at the same place back to back with this APR Golf to prove the APR Golf is faster?

Regardless, it is all irrelevant to people on here because the Leon neither has DSG or 4x4 in Cupra/Cupra R spec. Once APR put their code on a MK2 Leon with a K04 turbo, no DSG and no 4x4 it will be more interesting to see the results on the same tests :).

Hopefully this will be the start of better things to come from all players in the tuning market which ultimately works out better for us all.

DanH

Jun 24, 2010
Warrington, Cheshire
Not sure what this APR map will offer to the K03 unless anyone has any idea or feedback? I was thinking about switching from Revo to APR having already bought APR 18 months ago but then moving to Revo I should have my car logged on APR database to have map put back on?

No secret that I chose to make the switch to APR.. As Pov said, best people don't dig too hard to find out why for Revo's sake

What Pov posted over on vagoc in his dyno thread by any chance?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.