Arosa,lupo,Ka or polo???

cuprabod

Mar 24, 2003
Cheshire
HI peeps,i will be buying my daughter her first car soon and am having trouble deciding between a lupo,arosa,ka or a polo(these being the cars she likes).I have read that the 1.0 arosa/lupo is underpowered and only really a city car,but i dont read the same comments about the 1.0 polo is it the same engine and power output?I dont know much about ka's but they seem good value fo money .Any comments/advice appreciated,
Cheers,
Alan:):shrug:

StuPDi

old guy
Mar 30, 2007
Gillingham Kent
Ka is 1.3i
fairly responsive for the size of car. Nippy, but not blisteringly quick (obviously)
cheap to insure too.
picked ours up as a second car/runaround
paid £1100 for low mileage 97 R reg in a1 condition

insurance is £553/year for 18 year old with 0 ncb

they bit sparsely equipped and finished inside, but guess you get what you pay for.

has airbags, elec windows, cd player, central locking, rear headrests etc. some of the later ones come with leather/alloys etc

plenty to choose from :)

hope this helps a little...............Stu

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I have an Arosa 1.0 - it was my first car too :D

It not underpowered too badly, considering its only little. Better than a Polo I would say, as it has less weight to tow around.
More expensive than a Ka, but I have been very glad, several times, that I picked my Arosa over a Ka - not lest of which when I hit a deer at 50mph, and came out with only minor front end scratches. They are very solid cars, so when things go wrong (and being a new driver, things will) they stand up to it very well and keep you safe :) Advantage of the solid VWness
It has also been lovely and reliable - appart from making sure you change the cambelt and water pump at 40k rather than 60 as in the handbook, it just needs a yearly service and runs as good as gold

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Yeah the Arosa/Lupo and Polo share the same 1.0 engine. I've driven the 1.0 Arosa (it was a 52 plate) and I couldn't stand the lack of power or the porridge gearbox.

Out of all of them, I'd have the Ka, as long as it has the Duratec engine in it. The old engines used to weld spark plugs inside them so they'd snap in the head come change time. They still hold their money very well, and they're very safe for a Ford...one of my friends came out with minor injuries when a double decker bus crushed it in a big accident.

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
HI peeps,i will be buying my daughter her first car soon and am having trouble deciding between a lupo,arosa,ka or a polo(these being the cars she likes).I have read that the 1.0 arosa/lupo is underpowered and only really a city car,but i dont read the same comments about the 1.0 polo is it the same engine and power output?I dont know much about ka's but they seem good value fo money .Any comments/advice appreciated,
Cheers,
Alan:):shrug:

Id avoid the polo 1.0, it is just the 50BHP 1.0 yes, so its heavier than the arosa so its very very slow.

If your deciding between the lupo or the Arosa, get the Arosa in the 'S' model, they have remote central locking, 14" alloys wheels, electric windows, pollen filter, access plus front seats. All things that the more expensive lupo doesnt offer in 1.0 form!. The Arosa is much more value for money.

If you want a little more power than the 1.0, then the arosa comes in a 1.4 60BHP engine, its quite torquy. But not too easy to find a manual one.

TBH most Arosas are the 1.0S Spec, they have enough power for a new driver, i have one and its not that slow, go and try one and see what you think.

Or there is always the TDi arosa, thats got 75BHP, is insurance group 4, very economical and only £35 per year insurance.

Ive got both, the 1.0S and the TDi S and they are both very good, reliable, solid and funky cars. Id recommend both engines.

Also another thing to consider is safety. Especially since its your daughter your buying it for.

The Ford Ka is only a 3 star euro n cap rating, only comes with one air bag.

Arosas and Lupos are both 4 Stars, later models (from 2003 on) come with two air bags too.

Polos are also 4 start, depending on the age you go for, im meaning from W reg onwards.

If i was you i would buy a Seat Arosa 1.0S, with average mileage (30-40K) in good condition for about £3K, and it shouldnt prove any problems.

Although make sure its an S model some are advertised as so but arnt. SO it must have alloys to be an S spec.

Anything else you want to know about it just ask, ive got one :D

Ka is 1.3i
fairly responsive for the size of car. Nippy, but not blisteringly quick (obviously)

What you should have said is "blisters quickly"! They rust quite bad, ive seen 03reg For Kas with rusty sills.

If you get one, get a black one so the rust doesnt show as much :lol:

Yeah the Arosa/Lupo and Polo share the same 1.0 engine. I've driven the 1.0 Arosa (it was a 52 plate) and I couldn't stand the lack of power or the porridge gearbox.

Out of all of them, I'd have the Ka, as long as it has the Duratec engine in it. The old engines used to weld spark plugs inside them so they'd snap in the head come change time. They still hold their money very well, and they're very safe for a Ford...one of my friends came out with minor injuries when a double decker bus crushed it in a big accident.

Ive no idea what you mean about the 'porridge gearbox' its a very good gearbox, very slick and great for going up and down the gears in town.

As for the Ka Duratex engine! its very old, very rattly, you can always know there is a Ka comming just by the sound!

Ive been in both, and i can tell you the Arosa is much more refined, ok the 1.0 will be slower but the 1.3 Ka isnt very econical either.

Also the Arosa beats the Ka for safety too.

Last edited:

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Ive no idea what you mean about the 'porridge gearbox' its a very good gearbox, very slick and great for going up and down the gears in town.

As for the Ka Duratex engine! its very old, very rattly, you can always know there is a Ka comming just by the sound!

Ive been in both, and i can tell you the Arosa is much more refined, ok the 1.0 will be slower but the 1.3 Ka isnt very econical either.

Also the Arosa beats the Ka for safety too.

Slick? It may be slick going between 3rd and 4th but if you're trying to build up speed for a motorway, it can be easy to slot it into the wrong gear...not something that'll give a new driver confidence.

I think you'll find the Duratec came out in 2002, the Endura E engine was the rubbish one.

Its not all about refinement, you can fit feck all into the boot of an Arosa, the Ka has a decent sized boot. There's a lot less things to go wrong in a Ka, and the parts are stupidly cheap. Arosas depreciate a lot quicker, too.

cuprabod

Mar 24, 2003
Cheshire
What is the safety rating of a 2000/2001 polo,is that 4 or is it only the facelifted 2002 models onward .Also how can i tell if a ka has a duratec engine?:)

Last edited:

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
Slick? It may be slick going between 3rd and 4th but if you're trying to build up speed for a motorway, it can be easy to slot it into the wrong gear...not something that'll give a new driver confidence.

I think you'll find the Duratec came out in 2002, the Endura E engine was the rubbish one.

Its not all about refinement, you can fit feck all into the boot of an Arosa, the Ka has a decent sized boot. There's a lot less things to go wrong in a Ka, and the parts are stupidly cheap. Arosas depreciate a lot quicker, too.

Yes it is, maybe the one you drove was a bad one, ive never had any problems with my gearbox on my 1.0S, Mine is a 2003 and ive had it coming up 3 years now.

Now i have my TDi Arosa my mum, dad and sister now use my 1.0S at times, and they have never had a problem getting into the right gear, so i dont really understand what your on about TBH.

Why do you like Ford Kas so much? i used to, but i soon went off them when i found out all the faults.

Yes the engine was changed in late 02, upped from 60bhp to 70bhp. Still though its a very similar engine just with some changes, they are still very rattly engines.

We have had two ford kas in for a service, one had done 47K and it was so noisey the owner had to replace the engine just after that. That was very very rusty, luckily its a purple one so it hides it slightly.

Another was a later one in silver, that was showing signs of rust on the sills just behind the doors.

I have to say they do handle nicely but reliability wise ive heard a lot of bad things from people in the motortrade.

Yes the boot is bigger, but there is less headroom inside and less legroom believe it or not. I carnt get in the back of a Ka with the front seat set to my driving position, but i can the Arosa. The Ka has plastic up the backs of the front seats, so even if its tight in the back, its very uncomfy having your knees pressed up against the seats.

Price wise, Kas dont hold their value brilliantly, especially basic ones since there are SOO many on the used cart market you can afford to be picky, so they do depreciate quite quickly. Although if your spending £3k or whatever you didnt say how much, then your not going to lose a fortune anyway!

Sootycuprabod: the best thing to do is to go and try one of each model you are thinking about. The Ka will probably appeal more to your daughter since its very girly, but personally i think the arosas are a better car.

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
What is the safety rating of a 2000/2001 polo,is that 4 or is it only the facelifted 2002 models onward .Also how can i tell if a ka has a duratec engine?:)

The Ka duratec engine should say duratec on it, other signs to watch for are the later style wheel trims, and ABS, they all came on the duratec engine models.

If you must buy a Ka, then either get a collection or a luxury with AC and leather.

Check sills for rust though.

One more thing, Arosa mk2s have a 12 year warranty against rust :)

Euro results, have a good read throguh these, its an important thing to consider!:

1997 polo: - 3 star
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/vw_polo_1997/13.aspx

2000 polo: - 4 star
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/vw_polo_2000/71.aspx

2002 Polo: - 4 star
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/vw_polo_2002/114.aspx

Ford Ka: (doesnt do well!) - 3 star
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/ford_ka_2000/77.aspx

Lupo (same results for the arosa, its the same car) - 4 star
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/vw_lupo_2000/27.aspx

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I don't like Kas, I've never owned one and never will, but I am in the motor trade and the only issues we have are with the front top mounts, but they're cheap from Ford and easy to change. 3 year old Ka's round here have only lost 2k and a Ka1 on an R starts at £1500 privately. Fiestas sell for less!

The 12 year rust warranty only covers rust thats started from the inside of the panel and proceeds out, whereas 99% of rust starts on the outside of the panel due to paint damage. Most SEAT dealers won't even look at it, i've read it on here many times.

Good luck finding a new car!

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
Yeah i know that about the rust warranty although Arosas/Lupos are galvanised anyway, so if its rusting its only because its been accident damaged and repaired badly.

Ford kas just look and feel a bit cheap to me, where as the Arosa can look and feel quite classy depending on what age, spec and colour you get.

Ford Kas are very funky cars though, and i do quite like the way they look, its the rust, reliaiblity of the little 1.3 engines and cheapness in general that puts me off.

TBH i just think Kas have had their day now.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
My friend has a Ka and has had problems with the ignition from day one. After taking it to ford on several occasions they reprogrammed the ECU and it seems to have solved the problem only the remote locking doesnt work now so its another trip back. They say its a common problem :confused: On a completely non biased level I would still opt for the Arosa based on value for money, comfort and the parts are much cheaper than the polo or Ka to replace.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Compared to Fiat parts the parts from Seat and VW are much cheaper !! I cant bring myself to tell you how much a bumpstrip for a clio williams was :cartman:

cuprabod

Mar 24, 2003
Cheshire
If i am going polo then it will be a 2000-2001 model trouble is there is only the 1.0 that a new,young driver can get reasonable insurance for as i think the 1.2 came in after this time and will be much more expensive.The polo has always been my daughters first choice its just the low power of the 1.0 that is a problem

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
What does she like about the Polo?

As the Arosa/Lupo really are very similar in build quality and style, but are a little better on power-to-weight, being a bit smaller.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Go for a 1.4 theres not too many insurance groups in it, i was on a 1.4 ibiza with 1 years experience for a very resonable price, theyre something like group 4! Polo's are higher insurance groups with the same engine for some reason, i had a 1.4 Ibiza group 4 and a 1.4 Polo group 6, and the ibiza was better equipped!!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.