ASTRAS? Pain in the Asstra!!

FReddytdi

Jun 6, 2007
I've been reading the forum for 18 months now and have decided to get invovled. I have a Luna Grey Fr TDi

Has anyone else had real problems with Astra drivers? I seem to get one everyday wanting a race. Is it just me? :confused:

johnvx220

May 10, 2007
Plymouth
Take the FR sign off the back and put a TDi sign instead (see a previous post I put on under the heading debadging). It works. Great colour car and look good a the wing mirrors match.

mode

Apr 27, 2007
North Wales
Though i now have a Luna Grey petrol FR my last car was an Astra SRI, they are that jerky when driven steady you HAVE to drive it fast through the gears they are garbage, juddery clutch, poor fuel economy slow relative to their engine size and built out of poor quality components sold mine at huge loss after 13 months from new, just feel sorry for them as you blow them into the weeds........

johnvx220

May 10, 2007
Plymouth
Drove the Astra 2.0 turbo while the vx was have the paint sorted out. At the time it felt good with a free reving engine and fun for overtaking on b roads. Handling was not so good. This was 3 years ago and time always puts a gloss on things.

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
i dont drive a mk4, and i dont get troubled by astra drivers ...its those scooby drivers i hate ....its like every turn they make their gonna crash into something. i know the scooby has crap handling but c'mon man it cant be that bad.

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
I see to going up against youngsters in poverty spec golfs. Leave me at the lights until I get into 2nd.. then whoosh. Funny that :D

no-fear

Candy FR has been born!!!
Jan 24, 2005
Macclesfield
Sold the Cupra, bought a £300 1998 Astra 1.6 LS, white with rust, dented go fasta wing, and all because I wanna keep burning off Scoobs, LCR's, Type R's etc. etc.

Oh joy....

Where the :censored: is my Candy FR ?????

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
i know the scooby has crap handling but c'mon man it cant be that bad.

That has to be one of the funniest quotes I have seen on any forum period!-It must be a wind up?
Even a bog standard uk 212bhp subaru has fantastic handling-In the wet they would probably see off most things.
I am not really a fan of the cars but what they do they do very well indeed!
I hope you never come up against a well driven 'slightly' modified subaru on a damp twisty road-:whistle:

chippenhamwilts

Mar 31, 2007
i know the scooby has crap handling but c'mon man it cant be that bad.

Do you now, have you owned a scooby becuase they are one of the best handling saloons ever made. I had a scooby for two years.

Of course, that might be why its been on top of the game for so many years in rallying...because its crap? Crap on fuel ...yes but not handling

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden
Unless it's a VXR it's not gonna trouble you. Every Astra seems to have a fat tail pipe and seems to look 'sporty' , even though they couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Sorry guys but Scoobys dont handle all that well, never have. They almost always understeer... Cars like the Integra, MkV Gti are far superior - not sure
how a Cupra or FR would compare as I havent driven one (yet).

4WD doesent help handling whatsoever, just traction...

Chris

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
Are you having a laugh????:shrug:
Even a standard 208bhp scooby would show a clean pair of heals to mosts things in the wet. A slight lift is all that is needed to get rid of the understeer and make the tail edge out a little ??-A wrx or an STI is a completely different proposition altogether!-Four wheel drive versus 2 wheel drive, especially in the wet is no comparison...
Ok its a bit fairer in the dry but it takes a damn good driver in the dry to make the advantage stick.

I do not really like the jap rockets, but what they do, the do extremely well(especially when it rains-as it does in the UK most of the time!!!).

276 BHP wrx against MOST things in the wet--:whistle:-have a think fella!!

As for the Mk11 Fr Vs a LCR---LCR might not handle as well as the FR but I would bet that the LCR would still leave an FR behind--not too sure about the new Curpa though:help:

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
must agree with fast eddie there.

my work mate has a scooby sti, mapped by andy forrest to 350 brake and it goes around corners in the wet and dry extemely well. sticks to the road like the preverbial sh!t to a blanket.

in fact its up for sale if anyones interested. CLICKY HERE if you are.

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Are you having a laugh????:shrug:
Even a standard 208bhp scooby would show a clean pair of heals to mosts things in the wet. A slight lift is all that is needed to get rid of the understeer and make the tail edge out a little ??-A wrx or an STI is a completely different proposition altogether!-Four wheel drive versus 2 wheel drive, especially in the wet is no comparison...
Ok its a bit fairer in the dry but it takes a damn good driver in the dry to make the advantage stick.

I do not really like the jap rockets, but what they do, the do extremely well(especially when it rains-as it does in the UK most of the time!!!).

276 BHP wrx against MOST things in the wet--:whistle:-have a think fella!!

As for the Mk11 Fr Vs a LCR---LCR might not handle as well as the FR but I would bet that the LCR would still leave an FR behind--not too sure about the new Curpa though:help:

No, Im serious.. Lifting in the wet is great fun and looks impressive but Its a slow way of getting round a corner, and its usually too late anyway when unexpected oversteer occurs.

Rememer the Stig with the WR1 round the track?

Sure as Chrisboyle says a 350bhp STi will be quicker than just about everything it comes accross both on the straighs and corners, but this is down to the power and not chassis dynamics which is what we are talking about .

Dont get me wrong I like Impreza's, Im an ex owner and driven a few over the years. They are very quick cars, and out of corners in the wet not much will beat them, but again this is traction from the AWD not handling.

The fastest cars around a track are RWD, this is the best configuration.

Chris

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.