Auto Hold

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
Hi guys i have a question regarding my DSG Cupra 290's auothold feature. When in traffic the car becomes stationary i remove my foot from the brake and it will keep stationary for around 2-3 seconds then it begins to creep forward. Is there a way of holding the car stationary without shifting to P in traffic? i.e. in a BMW with autohold enabled it will keep stationary in D until the accelerator pedal is applied

Thanks

Peter55

Jan 20, 2016
Hexham
The VAG Auto Hold just stops you rolling back on a steep hill start

I've got it on a S Tronic A1 and a Manual Passat, although the Passat has an Electric Hand Break so holds forever

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
The VAG Auto Hold just stops you rolling back on a steep hill start

I've got it on a S Tronic A1 and a Manual Passat, although the Passat has an Electric Hand Break so holds forever

So in traffic do you just press the brake pedal to keep stationary? isnt this bad for the discs?

veno

Feb 9, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.bulforum.com
So in traffic do you just press the brake pedal to keep stationary? isnt this bad for the discs?

this is usually the way all automatics work...
my wife has suzuki swift automatic 4 speed and it is the same as my 6 speed dsg...
all the automats I have driven have the same behaviour...

you could go to N, this will be like going in neuatral on manual when you wait on red traffic light.

Lionswake

Mar 8, 2016
Auto hold is designed more as a hill start assist feature.

Uses the ABS modulator to hold the brakes on if it detects roll back on lifting the brake in D, majority of manufactures that use the system have it set on a timer. (less risk of accidental movement in signal spike)
BMW are the only ones I know of that use a trigger system.

I'd say keeping your foot on the brake or moving to "P" to stop creep.

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015

Uses the ABS modulator to hold the brakes on if it detects roll back on lifting the brake in D, majority of manufactures that use the system have it set on a timer. (less risk of accidental movement in signal spike)

Ok thanks!

Lionswake

Mar 8, 2016

If you have just been out on a hot lap or extremely heavy braking. your risk a tiny amount of disc distortion.

After all the BMW will have been on the bakes in auto hold.

Last edited:

garybuttle

Oct 27, 2011
When I was taught to drive years ago cars had these magic levers called handbrakes,but I suppose in this day and age they have gone the same way as indicators,people are just to lazy or ignorant to use them

Deleted member 98136

When I was taught to drive years ago cars had these magic levers called handbrakes,but I suppose in this day and age they have gone the same way as indicators,people are just to lazy or ignorant to use them
I find that if you put the handbrake on whilst your in drive and stationary, the car somehow tries to overcome the handbrake effect of holding the car stationary - the same effect does not happen if you've got your foot on the pedal.

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
i find that if you put the handbrake on whilst your in drive and stationary, the car somehow tries to overcome the handbrake effect of holding the car stationary - the same effect does not happen if you've got your foot on the pedal.

this

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I find that if you put the handbrake on whilst your in drive and stationary, the car somehow tries to overcome the handbrake effect of holding the car stationary - the same effect does not happen if you've got your foot on the pedal.

Of course it will - the dsg is clever but it's not psychic ;-) - as it's in drive it will want to move forward, the handbrake lever position has no input into the dsg system as far as I know.
Just keep your foot on the brake pedal if you want to leave it in drive when stationery, on mine if I apply more pressure to the brake pedal it will either cut the engine or if the stop start system is inoperative, it will drop the revs very slightly and partly dis ingage the gearbox until you release the foot brake

Last edited:

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Isn't this just the same as hold feature in my mk2? Was the same on my astra too.

Autohold comes on on an incline and then holds for 3 seconds or so then will release or as soon as you touch the accelerator?

Autos will always creep in drive, it's just the same as slowly releasing your clutch in 1st essentially.

Also I assume any/most cars with electric handbrake will incorporate HSA as it's hard to use the handbrake to hold on a steep incline otherwise.

Last edited:

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
Isn't this just the same as hold feature in my mk2? Was the same on my astra too.

Autohold comes on on an incline and then holds for 3 seconds or so then will release or as soon as you touch the accelerator?

Autos will always creep in drive, it's just the same as slowly releasing your clutch in 1st essentially.

Also I assume any/most cars with electric handbrake will incorporate HSA as it's hard to use the handbrake to hold on a steep incline otherwise.

That's correct, yes; although the DSG's don't have a traditional torque converter like most automatics due to the twin clutch layout, instead its the equivalent to slipping the clutch in a manual so hill hold is great in that respect.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK

My A200 Mercedes has hold function - most Mercs do. You apply a momentary second press of brake pedal to enable and car will sit for at least 10 minutes like this, with brake lights on etc. On pressing accelerator to move the brakes are released.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.