Avoid GPF Cupra’s?

JS92

Aug 29, 2023
Hi,

In the market for a new car and I think the Leon Cupra Mk3 ticks all the boxes, however after some YouTube videos and searching around, and trying to decide between 290, 300 and the new 290 Cupra I have decided that I would rather avoid the models with GPF installed. How would I go about avoiding these?

Ideally I want as new and low mileage as I can afford but would also like to avoid the GPF models.
Thanks

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022

I’d go for one with CarPlay, a sunroof and heated full bucket seats to be honest. I have a none-GPF mk3 Leon Cupra.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@JS92; VW / Audi group started fitting GPF’s to their cars from June 2016, so a late date / newer mk 3.5 Cupra will have one; see links in post #4 in the discussion thread at the link below;

My VW has a GPF. I‘ve owned it from new since Sept 2020 and the GPF hasn‘t caused any issues. It does the occasional regeneration that lasts around 30 minutes - I think there’s been 2 GPF regenerations in three years / 12,800 miles. Fuel consumption does suffer during the specific journey when the regen is taking place but apart from that, I’m not aware of the presence of the GPF at any other time and it’s not caused any running / reliability issues.

Some owners of GPF-equipped cars have commented that the exhaust note is more muted. However, I’m not able to comment on whether that’s the case or not as I’m not able to compare my car to an earlier example without a GPF. However, I’m not into loud exhausts so I don’t personally consider a quieter exhaust to be a downside.

JS92

Aug 29, 2023

I’d go for one with CarPlay, a sunroof and heated full bucket seats to be honest. I have a none-GPF mk3 Leon Cupra.
Thanks for that, seems like after Sept 2018 it was mandatory for the GPF to be fitted. But in the reply below, the mk3 Cupra's were being fitted with GPF's since 2016.
@JS92; VW / Audi group started fitting GPF’s to their cars from June 2016, so a late date / newer mk 3.5 Cupra will have one; see links in post #4 in the discussion thread at the link below;

My VW has a GPF. I‘ve owned it from new since Sept 2020 and the GPF hasn‘t caused any issues. It does the occasional regeneration that lasts around 30 minutes - I think there’s been 2 GPF regenerations in three years / 12,800 miles. Fuel consumption does suffer during the specific journey when the regen is taking place but apart from that, I’m not aware of the presence of the GPF at any other time and it’s not caused any running / reliability issues.

Some owners of GPF-equipped cars have commented that the exhaust note is more muted. However, I’m not able to comment on whether that’s the case or not as I’m not able to compare my car to an earlier example without a GPF. However, I’m not into loud exhausts so I don’t personally consider a quieter exhaust to be a downside.
Yeah I'm not really concerned about reliability or any problems occurring from the GPF's but more the sound - I had my heart set on an m140i but insurance, running costs and tbh, the interior put me off. Hearing that the GPF mutes the exhaust is a little disheartening for me.

I have read that the GPF caused Cupra to lose 10hp, resulting in the 300 being renamed back to 290, so my thinking was if I can find the newest Cupra 300 I can afford, that would be pre-GPF, no?

Aug 4, 2023
I have a MY20 Cupra ST 300 4Drive with GPF and have run 30.000 kms without a problem, having retrofitted a Remus catback and in my opinion the sound is perfect now.
It’s true that the no-GPF Cupra 300 sounds a bit more, but depends on what amount of sound is good enough for you.
I use the Cupra as the family car, traveling long distances with it during holidays… so maybe a no-GPF with aftermarket exhaust would be too much noise inside the car.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I have a MY20 Cupra ST 300 4Drive with GPF and have run 30.000 kms without a problem, having retrofitted a Remus catback and in my opinion the sound is perfect now.
It’s true that the no-GPF Cupra 300 sounds a bit more, but depends on what amount of sound is good enough for you.
I use the Cupra as the family car, traveling long distances with it during holidays… so maybe a no-GPF with aftermarket exhaust would be too much noise inside the car.
I have a 280 with no GPF and a full resonator delete and that, in my opinion, is perfect sound 👌🏼

Reactions: Butty and TheSwede

JS92

Aug 29, 2023
Other than getting under the car and checking, how can I avoid said GPF models? Purely by MY date?

I don't want to modify the car to get it to sound better so ideally as good as I can get from stock.

Aug 4, 2023
Not sure how it works in UK, but at least in Germany and Spain GPF models have the 7 gear DSG and no-GPF have the 6 gear DSG. GPF models have from stock in copper color the S logo in the front grill and in the trunk, while no GPF have the S logo in chrome.

JS92

Aug 29, 2023
Not sure how it works in UK, but at least in Germany and Spain GPF models have the 7 gear DSG and no-GPF have the 6 gear DSG. GPF models have from stock in copper color the S logo in the front grill and in the trunk, while no GPF have the S logo in chrome.
Looking at my shortlist of Cupra's, I have a few from 2018, and a few from 2019 - the 2019 plates have copper S badger, the 2018's have silver S badge.

If this is a reliable way of identifying GPF vs non-GPF then it makes picking easy.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
@black_sheep said: “Early 2018 cars had the 6DSG, multipoint injection and no GPF. There was a limited run Carbon ST which came with bucket seats, Carbon body kit, different alloys and 370mm Brembo brakes - but expect limited availability/high cost.

Late 2018 cars (Sep onwards) were WLTP compliant with 7DSG, single point injection, GPF/OPF and revision B of the Virtual Cockpit (central rev counter screen). The first cars (Sep-Nov) were delivered with options; Nov-Dec ish onwards were Lux or non-Lux under the EZ options or R ST.”

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
My 2018 Cupra R is produced Februari 2018 is a "copper" car. No GPF. As H Rafiq describes
better to use other criteria.

Attachments

• 20210913_163122.jpg
    20210913_163122.jpg
    911.4 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: H Rafiq
Aug 4, 2023
My 2018 Cupra R is produced Februari 2018 is a "copper" car. No GPF. As H Rafiq describes
better to use other criteria.

So yours is 6 gear DSG, right? So the “theory” I said about the DSG6 and DSG7 is correct ;)
Nevertheless, the best way is to check the motor code of the car. DNUC/DNUE cars are GPF, while CJXA/CJXC are no GPF.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
So yours is 6 gear DSG, right? So the “theory” I said about the DSG6 and DSG7 is correct ;)
Nevertheless, the best way is to check the motor code of the car. DNUC/DNUE cars are GPF, while CJXA/CJXC are no GPF.

All mk3 2018 Cupra R in SE are manuel 😁. Code CJXG 310 hp as mine, no GPF.
I agree regarding check motor code. This is the way to go.

beasty54

Jul 23, 2020
I had a 2018 300 pre GPF and now I have a 290 with GPF, I actually prefer the sound from my newer one. It's a much more subtle sound and there's barely any of the DSG farts that only 19 year olds think are cool :p

If i stick it in Cupra mode i get a little pop and crackle every now and again, perfect IMO

Reactions: M_Riol

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I read somewhere that the pre-gpf cars are 6 speed DSG and the GPF cars are 7 speed DSG.
Also - the gpf cars are I understand all COPRAS ( copper badges )

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Thanks for that, seems like after Sept 2018 it was mandatory for the GPF to be fitted. But in the reply below, the mk3 Cupra's were being fitted with GPF's since 2016.
No - September 2018 onwards was when GPFs were fitted to the Cupras. They stopped production in early 2018 too prior to the transition, so not many cars of this era available.
I have read that the GPF caused Cupra to lose 10hp, resulting in the 300 being renamed back to 290, so my thinking was if I can find the newest Cupra 300 I can afford, that would be pre-GPF, no?
The ST ran the same running gear as the Golf R estate, so retained 300 ps, but 5dr hatch reverted to 290 ps.

The ST has a twin GPF but no central resonator, whereas the 5dr hatch has a larger single GPF and a central resonator - this was due to the 4drive coupling on ST.

Most people replace central resonator on the 5dr hatch with a straight through pipe to enhance exhaust volume.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Mine only regen was once after it had been in the dealers and the had obviously left it on low idle for a while for some time.

Initially it took a while to clear, because the GPF regen instructions in the manual were incorrect, advising to clear in the same way as a diesel particulate filter eg low gear 3000+ rpm.

With the GPF you need to get the car to 50 mph, then lift off throttle and allow the car to coast (in gear - i.e. not in eco mode!!!). Regen clears in a couple of mins maximum, with no additional fuel consumption.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Mine only regen was once after it had been in the dealers and the had obviously left it on low idle for a while for some time.

Initially it took a while to clear, because the GPF regen instructions in the manual were incorrect, advising to clear in the same way as a diesel particulate filter eg low gear 3000+ rpm.

With the GPF you need to get the car to 50 mph, then lift off throttle and allow the car to coast (in gear - i.e. not in eco mode!!!). Regen clears in a couple of mins maximum, with no additional fuel consumption.
That’s pretty much the practice I follow, although it took more than a couple of minutes and as said in my previous post, fuel consumption did suffer. When my car’s gone through the regen process, other tell tale signs have been;
- a deeper exhaust note
- slight hesitancy and lumpiness to the engine in slow moving and or stop/start traffic in town
- a ‘hot’ smell
- stop/start function automatically deactivated

Eco mode? What’s that?…..🤔 🤣. Never used it and don’t intend to.

Reactions: black_sheep

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
That’s pretty much the practice I follow, although it took more than a couple of minutes and as said in my previous post, fuel consumption did suffer. When my car’s gone through the regen process, other tell tale signs have been;
- a deeper exhaust note
- slight hesitancy and lumpiness to the engine in slow moving and or stop/start traffic in town
- a ‘hot’ smell
- stop/start function automatically deactivated

Eco mode? What’s that?…..🤔 🤣. Never used it and don’t intend to.
What terrible England in my post 🤦🏻

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.