Axle Repair, can it be done?

DanielFaith

Jun 22, 2010
Ballymena, Northern Ireland
Hi all,
After a harsh winter here in northern ireland i thought i had beat the worst of it. i was wrong and ended up sliding sideways into a curb.
From this my back left whell is now sitting at an angle and i am not sure whether i hav bent the axle or damaged the hub!
is there any way of knowinf for sure what i have done?
if it is a bent axle can it be repaired? (i believe these are sprung steel :mad:)

all help would be appreciated thanks

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I know the SEAT manual says that they're not repairable, and I wouldn't like to even try. You could get it on a jig and get it lined up, only to find that you start scrubbing tyres three times quicker than normal.

It would be so much easier to get a replacement axle, swap all your gear to it (brakes, hubs etc) then bolt it in place.

There's a few on Ebay for around £100, although for such a large item I'd suggest looking at the local breakers first.

J85Ibiza

Did you just replace the axle in the end? I wouldn't fancy trying to straighten them out!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Normally the stub axles bend, but if you get it hard enough the beam will bend & for £70 you might as well not bother repairing

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.