Back again after 3 years looking at getting a 1.4 tdi any advice

eyrecj

Hi all. Its been 3 years since I last logged on here very surprised my account was still active. I sold my 1st car a seat Leon 1.6s (my 1st love still gutted she had to go) for a Subaru WRX which has turned into a money pit and at the end of the year will have full race seats harnesses etc and just shy of 400 BHP however I am getting a little tired of wasting this car on my daily drive fuel, tyres brakes etc etc

Ok back to the reason of being on here again …. I am looking for a 2nd car just for going into work etc etc and save the Scooby for fun days. I loved my seat and wish I had kept her but at the time I was pushing my budget to by a brand new hawkeye wrx at 22 so it had to go. I was thinking of getting a 1.4 tdi arosa.

Found a nice 2001 with 52,000 on the clock in blue but I wanted some advice from the pros on what to look out for what kind of money I should pay well anything that could help ??

Thanks for any help :clap:

Arosa_R

Hi there,

I was a company van driver and landed a new job so I also was looking for a eco car just to get to work and back.

I bought my Arosa 1.4TDi at the beginning of the month and so far im pretty pleased.

I manged to find a decent example with low mileage vs price.

A few things to check which I overlooked :cry: are:-

1. Rear bump stops, one of mine has split. not expensive, about £19 for a pair.

2. Check to make sure the remote central locking is working.. im yet to get mine fixed but am hoping its just a recode, which costs about £30 plus VAT from a SEAT dealership.

3. Good service, MOT history.. also make sure it has had its cambelt, pump etc done. Important!

The mpg is pretty good...... ive only filled it about 1.5 times since ive got it.

Here is what ive recorded so far....

330 miles which used 27litres of diesel. :D pretty good huh.

Insurance costs £34 per month but thats because ive got a young 2nd driver added, otherwise I would have just been £26 incl protected no claims and legal cover.

I cant really say much more as its a pretty simple car.......

What price are you looking for yours mind me asking?

Also remember if its been registered after March 1st 2001 you will only have to pay £35 road tax.... mine wasnt :( so its fixed at £120.

As to what you should pay is a tricky question, as there arent many 1.4TDi`s around... as soon I saw the one I bought I snapped it up pretty quickly! They can range from £2000 upto £7000 in some cases.........

Riz :)

eyrecj

Thanks for the info mate, a little gutted as the one I found on auto trader has been sold. Sounds like great advice tho mate. thanks for posting it up they really are rare but will keep my eyes out for one if not its going to have to be a polo clio etc etc sub 20mpg is really killing me and not enjoying a car that you have spent 30K on is just crazy.

Thanks for the feedback ;):clap:

Arosa_R

No worries dude.... keep looking...

AutoTrader and Pistonheads are the main sites........

Riz :rolleyes:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Make sure its had cambelt changes at recommended times. If it stalls be warned it will probably do this alot. Make sure the pedals arent too springy or loose as this can indicate a pedal box problem. Other than that just do the normal checks and good luck with the search.

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
You cant go far wrong with a TDi Arosa :)

They dont really have common problems as such, noting major anyway. Just silly things like the already mentioned bump stops. Which are about £7 each from the dealers.

Ive had mine almost two years, in which time ive done 30K miles in it. I found a realy low mileage one (26K when i bought it) so ive well doubled the mileage. Its been fantastic and only has ever had one problem other than the wear and tear things (tyres, brakes etc). The problem was only a relay, very inexpensive to replace too, although it did cause the car to cut out :happy:

Cambelt change is every 40K or 4 years - which ever comes first. So check its had that.

Another thing to check is has it had its brake fluid changed. THis needs to be done every 2 years, its also the clutch fluid in the TDI, so it really does need doing every 2 years.

The 1.4 TDi is a PD engine, so should really use the PD oil, its not the end of the world if it hasnt been used though.

Id also recommend on getting the gearbox oil changed too, i had mine done recently and the dealer said it was low on oil and very dirty. So i got it changed, the gears felt much smoother after that. Mine is a mid 2002 car with 56K. So most you look at, there is a good chance it needs doing.

Otherwise just drive it and enjoy, if you find a good one they are great fun to drive. Although not sure what you will make of it coming from your current daily! :lol:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members