Back in a Seat - Gezmeister's Seat Ibiza MK2 GTI Cupra Sport

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Might try it, would be easy enough to sell them on to a veedub lover ;)

Will see if i can negotiate a deal, one of the wheels has the dreaded worming :(

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Its when water gets under the lacquer i think, and causes marks under the lacquer that look like worms. Looks nasty

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Yeah, i'm thinking that too. Now found out the wheels in question are diamond cut, so not sure whether that throws a spanner in the works or not :shrug:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Diamond cut is a type of polishing, it uses a lathe to polish the face by cutting out the metal it has a different look from hand polished, you can see the tram lines.
You would have to remove the lacquer, the water inside would of removed the shine, so either get them diamond cut again, then relacquered, or just remove lacquer and hand polish them...but you cannot lacquer these, so pain in the ass, have to have a good sealant on then to stop them oxidising again.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Diamond cut is a type of polishing, it uses a lathe to polish the face by cutting out the metal it has a different look from hand polished, you can see the tram lines.
You would have to remove the lacquer, the water inside would of removed the shine, so either get them diamond cut again, then relacquered, or just remove lacquer and hand polish them...but you cannot lacquer these, so pain in the ass, have to have a good sealant on then to stop them oxidising again.

This.

Best getting nitromors on them and stripping all the lacquer off and then polishing.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
If i get them, might just see whether or not i can be arsed to do it, seems like a lot of hassle. I'd love to have all of them mirror polished though, so maybe. Would they have to diamond cut the whole alloy again? Anyone know what price i'd be looking at?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Don't know exact prices, but its not cheap dude, like polishing, anyone can do it, but to get to a real good standard, only a few can and then want a premium for it :(

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Yeah im sure they do.

Here's a pic of the one with the worming

wormingonpslots.jpg

With regards to polishing, whats the reason you can't lacquer over the top?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Will lose shine, then just look like silver paint.

Why all these people have winter wheels, as the salt just kills them.

Diamond cut is meant to be different, you could get them chrome powdercoated, but again only a few people use a lacquer, as it removes shine.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise