Bad Experience Today!

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
Right.....today ive had a bad experience....

went to wash the car and the front of the bonnet and bumper was covered and obliterated in flies....

basically i decided to use this product :

Autoglym%20Active%20Insect%20Remover.jpg

And after spraying it on and then washing it off this happened below....the product was fine on the bonnet but awful as you can see on the bumper....why on earth did this happen? washing off made no difference and drying also.....i used spray on wax to remove and autoglym super resin polish pretty hard to remove most of it!!!

Reg any ideas why this happened? im not best pleased, it seems to be back to nromal now but im not best pleased.....took a lot of work to get it off.....

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Cheers

Rich

HarveyGTI

my god, how long did you leave it on for, and how much did you spray on....looks like alot to me!

HarveyGTI

Looks like its caused the wax to come off and streak

but he put the wax on afterwards....as you would with detailing any car, the wax is the very last thing to do

it ran and streaked before he put the wax on.....

HarveyGTI

yeah it definately stripped the wax off that bumper!!:-o

With products like that its best not to use in the sun just to be on the safe side..Typical Autoglym i spose!!;)

indeed moved away form autoglym onto Meguiars and also more exotic flavours

Looks like chemical staining more than wax removal, if as you said SRP has improved it, then I would say this supports my thoughts.

If so then unfortunately its going to need several attacks by hand, lots of effort, swearing and sweating to bring it back, or if you have access to a PC polisher that will make life easier.

I'm sorry to say I've seen this a few times with some AG products, a pity as some are very good, although I must admit to not trying many as I find there are better/safer options on the market, just not available from Halfrauds etc :(

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
hmmmn well i did spray on a fair amount as a lot of bugs....

thing is it didn't even remove the friggin bugs!!

left it on for 20secs!!!!

it wasn't waxed before hand (well prob waxed by previous owner a few weeks ago!!)

the SRP took it off and brought the bumper back to life!

what do people reccomend for removing bugs then???

Rich

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
First off never wash in direct sun! I think a lot of those guys are using that fancy foam stuff .... i tend to soak mine first with the hose, then a wash with wax free shampoo then i'll break out the claybar for the truly stubborn ones. However once you've had the car properly polished, the lil buggers don't stick quite so well :)

If i'm going for that level of bug removal, i'll always add a few coats of wax after i've finished to replace what i've removed.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Too late now, but decent layers of wax means the bugs don't stick so much in the first place. The safest, non-chemical, most effective way I have found is to lay some kitchen roll, or a cloth, soaked in water over the bugs for a few minutes. Lieft this off (don't scrub at this point), then use a hose to wash most of it off. Then you can wash the car as normal. I always used that on my bike and visor when I had my bike, never caused a scratch (the visor had a delicate irridium coating so needed to be treated gently).

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
yeah i need to clay the car anyway!

it was fairly warm but not too hot.........

oh well....lesson learnt :D

I was in Halfords y'day - (by the way the 3 for 2 offer is back on!!) looking for a clay bar and they did not have any - my local one in Guildford is a large one as well.

Where do you guys go to get the clay bar? - I really needed one for today as I am doing a total wash and wax today.:)

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
I suspect that the 3 for 2 also covers ...(dramatic pause) ... pressure washers... no better time to get one folks.......halfords own is 40 quid i think... buy that big fella and 2 LARGE bottles of AG SRP and your quids in.

Anyone spotted their lambs wool wash mitts; i saw one in Durham 2 weeks ago didnt get one (foolishly) havent seen hide nor hair of them since...

As for the OP I had a bad experience with AG Bug remover; managed to take the wax and polish off my dads bonnet (was alot younger then LOL) but it was simply because I'd used too much and left it for far too long.

Hope you get your shine back funkeh.

H

Triple D

The bestthing i do to get rid of bugs and tar on any car is to clay bar them, and this usually gets them off.

I use MER products, do people rate them at all? i think they are prestty good imho

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Right.....today ive had a bad experience....

went to wash the car and the front of the bonnet and bumper was covered and obliterated in flies....

And after spraying it on and then washing it off this happened below....the product was fine on the bonnet but awful as you can see on the bumper....why on earth did this happen? washing off made no difference and drying also.....i used spray on wax to remove and autoglym super resin polish pretty hard to remove most of it!!!

Reg any ideas why this happened? im not best pleased, it seems to be back to nromal now but im not best pleased.....took a lot of work to get it off.....

Cheers

Rich

I have just done the full clean, polish wax of the LCR and had loads of bugs and tar on the car. I used Turtle wax platinum on the blighters and it worked well. The tar needed some elbow grease but it is not abrasive and does not remove any of the wax, so absolutely nothing happened like your problem in the pics.

Next time you may want to give this ago instead of the AG one you used.:)

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
to remove bugs without anything more than your normal car shampoo,use a bit of sponge inside a washing tablet bag,brings the bugs off with little effort.just make sure you remove the plastic toggle off the bag draw cord.
and as virtually every box of wash tablets comes with one inside,you can bin them if and when you rip one.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise