Battery drain First edition

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
I've had it happen only once but will share information with all of you who have the First edition manufactured before 48 week/2020.

If the ignition is switched off the power steering control unit will remain active (the control unit does not switch to standby
mode). As a consequence, the battery can discharge after a relatively long period of parking. My one only took 2 days without driving.

The issue is the software version in the power steering unit 1030 address 44. If you happen to be one of these owners and your car matched the manufacturing date ill recommend you to contact SEAT Garage when your car goes in next time and let them know about TPI 2065034/1. As a fix, they should be updating this unit with software 1040. Without an update, you basically driving a time bomb ready to be set off and left you stranded somewhere without the ability to start the car again.

DeinsB

Dec 6, 2021
Latvia
I've had it happen only once but will share information with all of you who have the First edition manufactured before 48 week/2020.

If the ignition is switched off the power steering control unit will remain active (the control unit does not switch to standby
mode). As a consequence, the battery can discharge after a relatively long period of parking. My one only took 2 days without driving.

The issue is the software version in the power steering unit 1030 address 44. If you happen to be one of these owners and your car matched the manufacturing date ill recommend you to contact SEAT Garage when your car goes in next time and let them know about TPI 2065034/1. As a fix, they should be updating this unit with software 1040. Without an update, you basically driving a time bomb ready to be set off and left you stranded somewhere without the ability to start the car again.
Had the same situation just month ago. Car battery was totally dry. Also got some help from seat24/7 help for free and then got a call up from dealer for some repairs for this problem. Now everything is okay. But that day I needed to be at some place and ended up being no place😂

RoadXY

Feb 28, 2021
Had the same issue, the flat battery, twice.
They updated the power steering control unit but the battery was flat again after a day.
Even though all battery test said it was good, they replaced it.
No issues since (although it only has been one week since)

Antera

I now what the problem is. Look at the rear touch interior lights.

I found out when i got this problem 1 off the rood lights from the back was on when i (try) starting the car and the car says low battery

Got it a few times and always i saw that.

And it goes on at night or else i didnt figure it out. Nobody on the backstage when i lock the car the day before

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
There is also recall for that light. My was going on / off randomly in winter. Replacement part is available with higher index letter.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Had the same situation just month ago. Car battery was totally dry. Also got some help from seat24/7 help for free and then got a call up from dealer for some repairs for this problem. Now everything is okay. But that day I needed to be at some place and ended up being no place😂
If your battery was dry it has been overcharged.
I'm hoping you mean empty.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This is VW Group nonsense at its "best", this is not the first time that SW issues have been reported and dealerships have NOT contacted all the possible owners requesting that they arrange to get a free SW update.

This sort of thing happened to a certain production build period of VW Polo 1.4 and similar aged SEAT Ibiza 1.4 built round about Sep/Oct 2009, my local SEAT dealer knew nothing about the issue with BCM being supplied with incorrect SW, so they hit me with the cost of replacing the module under the steering wheels that only controls the foglight switching at low speed - then that SEAT dealership closed down! This car was maybe 6 years old when this fault became apparent - reason being that I had started looking after it while my daughter was working abroad, prior to this that car was used daily - and yes, like the OP's car it drained the battery! Eventually, after I had put many hours of diagnostic work into it (I'm retired) I handed it into another SEAT dealership, their service reception agreed with what I thought was the issue - AND, they had just had to sort this out with a similar aged Polo 1.4 that they had taken in on part exchange, so get it sorted out did eventually happen.

Probably like the issue on the OP's car, if people used their cars frequently, then this battery draining could take years to "appear" and so VW Group in their simplistic way of looking at things, have assumed that ALL affected/afflicted cars will have been back to the dealership for a SW update - and so this "knowledge" is eventually lost from the dealership workshops, that was what I found, so that second SEAT dealership now knew what to do wrt sorting out a Polo, so logged a tech support with SEAT Mothership and within a few days they had been directed as to where to locate this SW update. Not good enough for a car maker that wants to rule the world - and going forward there probably be lots more of this "forgotten about SW issues" and so people feeling the need to change cars to get round these issues. Rant over!

DeinsB

Dec 6, 2021
Latvia
If your battery was dry it has been overcharged.
I'm hoping you mean empty.
Yeah, English is not my native, so sorry for wrong terms, but yes it was empty as for now everything is all fine. But no one knows why it went empty as I'm driving more or so about 500km a week with highway 70% of driving distance.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.