BBC F1 Commentary team revealed?

andycupra

status subject to change
James Allen just annoys me. l'll say no more.

Steve Rider... has an inability to give a balanced argument, doesnt understand the rules, asks those that does and ignores them. (and i swear his microphone hand is fake).

Mark Blundell, - cant commit to any sort of opinion which for someone that doesnt talk to drivers was a dissapointment as he should have said it how it was. We want opinions, say it how it is!

So no loss there in my opinion.

Martin Brundle, the consistent face of sensible comment.
Perhaps compromised by his pit walk and as he has to avoid upsetting anyone or they ignore him. MS anyone?
But im glad hes staying.

Richard hammond would be an interesting one, however i honestly cant see him doing it full time; family man, currently very busy with other commitments. F1 takes up some time! However i can imagine him being involved in some respects due to his interest. Perhaps a bit of a job share is on the cards.

It will be interesting to see the difference with the BBC coverage.
Personally id like to see more technical features. While i appreciate not everyone is that technical, i have often found the coverage on technical elements to be a bit of an insult in its simplicity.

Last edited:

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I think David Coulthard is a good choice. He's fresh from competing, can be outspoken and not afraid of upsetting people and has a sense of humour. He's also worked with Martin Brundle a lot in the past and should complement him well.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Now Richard Hammond on F1 I couldnt be dealing with. He is good on Top Gear and I dont mind seeing him in some other stuff but I really do not think he is suited to F1 and may be painful to watch. The BBC have to be careful or they could get it totally wrong and alienate alot of viewers.

FastRed

Coulthard will be a good addition. Look forward to full race coverage and no adverts!!!!

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
James Allen just annoys me. l'll say no more.

Steve Rider... has an inability to give a balanced argument, doesnt understand the rules, asks those that does and ignores them. (and i swear his microphone hand is fake).

Mark Blundell, - cant commit to any sort of opinion which for someone that doesnt talk to drivers was a dissapointment as he should have said it how it was. We want opinions, say it how it is!

So no loss there in my opinion.

Martin Brundle, the consistent face of sensible comment.
Perhaps compromised by his pit walk and as he has to avoid upsetting anyone or they ignore him. MS anyone?
But im glad hes staying.
with the BBC coverage.

Steve Rider used to be good on the BBC coverage and when he did the BTCC. But he's been sucked into the ITV tabloid style of presenting these days with all the Hamilton....sorry Lewis-Mania rubbish that's in the media now.

DI Blundell is a classic case of a sports person being given a job talking about their sport, simply because they took part in it, not because they are any good at analysing things. Plus he don't speak properly.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I just get the impression Steve Rider isn't that fussed about F1, doesn't look like his cup o tea. Which is a shame for the F1 fans as he has as much enthusiasm as me being sick.

andycupra

status subject to change
Brundle has denied the deal has been done according to Autosport. But has not hidden the fact he would love to move to the Beeb.

Given hes still working for ITV then id imagine he needs to be a little careful what he says.
But im 100% certain the deal will be done, or may have been done in principle already. Hes certainly not tied to ITV like a presenter may be. Its not like they can move him into another programme.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.