Bearing replacement

Ashead

Dec 29, 2018
Hi
My 280 ST has a droning noise at around 45 and 70 mph, seems to go away at other speeds. It's clearer on smooth roads, with the general road noise pretty much drowning it out on noisier roads so it's not too loud but incredibly annoying at 70 on the motorways.

Having read many golf and Leon forums I thought it was just the tyres but have rotated tyres, added soundproofing and had a full alignment (only the fronts very slightly out) with no improvement. So I changed down to 18" wheels and near new Michelin PS4s but also without any impact on the annoying noise. I'm therefore left thinking its a bad bearing which does seem to occur on these cars and so after 60k on stiff suspension and 19's it seems plausible. However I've had the car jacked up and can't sense any movement in any of the wheels and can only hear the brakes rubbing and nothing else.

If anything I suspect the rear left as it is possibly slightly quieter when the RHS is loaded, and the tyre garage reckoned my rear left wheel was very slightly buckled and if anything that tyre looked the worse.

So a few questions for you:
  • Could it just be a Cupra noise (limited rear wheel clearance in arches, limited sound proofing, lots of plastic aero parts and cheap tin underneath [ though all seem solid enough])?
  • Does it sound like it could be a bearing?
  • Would you gamble on just changing one at a time? or do them in pairs? (rear first?)
  • Would you use original (OE) [£125/£130] or other (genuine) [£80/£65] parts?
  • Would you attempt to fit rears yourself [quoted 2 hours £110 to fit]?
Your thoughts much appreciated.

Ashead

Dec 29, 2018
Just to feedback and complete the thread as finally solved it.

Front near side bearing replacement has made the (Wah-Wah-Wah) resonance/drone at 45 and 70 stop. Mechanics didn't think there was anything wrong with it but got it changed anyway (having done the rear first but to no avail). I also have the old bearing and think I can feel some slight noise at times, but going to try and strip it for fun to see if I can find any further evidence of it's failure.

Pleased to have cured it though. Can now drive at 70 again!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
To identify which bearing is noisy, drive around corners and up and down hills. A rear bearing will be under more load going up a hill so will get louder, left bearing will make more noise turning right etc.

Years ago I had a noise very like a bad bearing which turned out to be a tyre which had 'twisted'. That was the second structural issue I had with Vredestien tyres so, although I liked the performance, I don't buy them any more.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.