Beats subwoofer enclousure modification

lajchi

Feb 9, 2024
As I am a bit of a car audio enthusiast, and all my previous cars had some modifications, from minor to extreme, I started to research how to make the sound better in the Formentor with the beats system. The system is OK, but the subwoofer is barely there, and loudness could be better as well.

I stumbeled upon this video.

Basically, the spare wheell subwoofer is in an "compression" box, which has a closed bass reflex channel. Apparently in some VAG cars with more advanced systems, the bass reflex channel is open, and the subwoofer is 20-30% louder than the enclosed version.
In the video, they are modifying the original enclousure, and cutting away the plastic which is closing the end of the bass reflex port. After that is done, it seems that the difference is noticable, and the comments in the video confirm it as well.

Apparently on some of the newer cars after 2023? this modification is no longer possible as they removed the channel within the enclousure.

I wanted to see if somebody on this forum already tred this modification, or will I be the one to mess something up :)

Some people are also changing the subwoofer itself for more output and better sound quality, as well as adding and DSP amplifier to make the system better, but that requires some "significant" investment.

Let me know what you think and if somebody already tried it out.

Reactions: pkaps

lajchi

Feb 9, 2024
Operation successful.

I followed the instructions on the video and opened up the "Port". It is not the nicest looking modification, but it works.
Compared to the enclosed version, this plays quite lower, and a bit louder. Definitely worth the 30 minutes of cutting / breaking / sanding / melting.

I think the next step will be to replace the subwoofer speaker itself, as the quality of the original one is quite poor.

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 104
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 97
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 97
  • C4.jpg
    C4.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 98
  • C5.jpg
    C5.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 95
  • C6.jpg
    C6.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 99
  • C7.jpg
    C7.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 102
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.