belt or chain

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
does the 1.4tsi in the mk5 fr/cupra have timing belt or a chain? have had a read up some places say belt others say its a chain! have also read that its a vvt engine too? may be a question for techie this one.

Sent from my HTC Tattoo using Tapatalk

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Well if it is a chain we wont have to worry about a belt change hehehehehehehehe. Being VAG I doubt it but can only hope they have cottoned on to Mercedes, or is it only their diesels that are chain driven? mmmmmm now i am confused, not hard to confuse me anyway hahahahahaha

M3rta

Mar 20, 2010
techie posted in a other thread i picture of the side of the engine. looking at that i would say its a chain. saves a lot of money if you dont have to change it

M3rta

Mar 20, 2010
thats true but not as fast as a belt a belt yoy have to change after a certain amount of time or milage but a chain doesnt have that because you also can hear when it is getting worn a belt can just snap after giving no clue

HAIRWEGO

NICK...
Jan 18, 2010
Poole, Dorset.
Had a FORD COUGAR that had a chain. chain broke after 3 years, 52000 miles, big end went. was just out of warranty , it was a known problem by Fords, but did not want to know. cost me 4000 for new engine & labour....2 years later sold it got 900 pounds for her, from good old Seat.... wasn't happy. so you bozzzz & galsss, listen for those bloody chains to go before they do the damage . i was hearing a noise for quit few miles before i realised ....paid the price!!!!!!!!!!!!
NICK......................

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I personally am glad it is chain driven and not belt. Being VAG I am pretty sure it will hold up well......................

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Well so far from what I have heard the ones in VW are fine and have given no hassle whatsoever, they are the same engine so I would hope there would not be any issues.

Quadrablast

Mar 24, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
The three cylinder 1.2 engine is also chain driven and the early versions of that were very problematic. They had a chain tensioner that wasn't up to the job, if memory serves me right. Lets hope this engine is better!

On the Swedish VW-club´s forum there´s a couple of people who actually have had BIG problems with the 1,4TSI 160bhp and the 170Bhp.. Just the thing you guys are talking about, the chain tensioner. 4 cars needed brand new engines. The dealers paid it ofcours but VW refused to admit that it was a common problem.

After hearing this, i´m not all to sure i still like my engine:cry:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
No different from a cambelt egine though, just as likely if not more so to suffer a cambelt issue. Keep the oil topped up and serviced regularly and it will be fine im sure.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
No different from a cambelt egine though, just as likely if not more so to suffer a cambelt issue. Keep the oil topped up and serviced regularly and it will be fine im sure.

Why change to comething inferior then? Honda seem to have cracked it on their engines..

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise