Best Petrol for Leon FR 2.0 TFSI?

SeniorMoment

Not long had my Leon MK2 FR and was wondering which is the best fuel to use. To date I've been using Shell standard unleaded (95 RON) and getting at best 32 mpg. However, I've heard you can sometimes get better economy using a better fuel, e.g. Shell VPower (98 RON). Does anyone have any experience?

Oh and before I get blasted, NO I didn't buy an FR to get good economy, but when I'm in a sensible mood I do take it easy :D

Stiggy

Oct 20, 2003
Loughborough
Visit site
Hi SeniorMoment,

I have a 57 plate FR & have used Tesco Super Unleaded from day 1. Gives me around 26mpg in the town & over 32mpg on a good run as I have a heavy right foot :).

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
The manufacturer recommends super unleaded. If using lesser petrol, you may lose performance :)

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
If you buy 30 litres of V power, you are entitled to a free Ferrari.
Some of my local Shell stations have run out, but if you keep the receipt and show it at another Shell station, they will give you a Ferrari then print "received" on it.
So go and collect ! :D

Anyone got an idea how much Tesco are charging for the 99 RON ?

SeniorMoment

Thanks for replies, think I'll give it a try. The extra 20HP should be useful :) By coincidence there was an letter in the Honest John section of Saturday Telegraph from a Golf GTI owner asking the same. He recommended using VPower or equiv to prevent fuel system "becoming contaminated"

warren_cox

Back from the dead
The TFSi engines really benefit from the extra octane. I tested a few dealer cars running 95RON and they felt quite laggy. Dealers weren't even aware that this was an issue, unsurprisingly. Tesco 99 RON works very well in mine, as does V-Power.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
The official SEAT line is that they recommend 98RON or above, otherwise you could lose performance and/or economy.

Which basically means either Shell V-Power or Tesco 99 RON.

I try to use one of these in my Cupra when possible, but a few times have resorted to standard Super Unleaded and normal unleaded twice when desperate.

r30lac

Jan 12, 2007
West Yorkshire
its back to the old question...Can you justify the extra 10P or so a litre??

I always used v power but then have used 95ron stuff a few times and didn't notice a great deal difference in MPG, performance there was a difference but not significant.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds

I always used v power but then have used 95ron stuff a few times and didn't notice a great deal difference in MPG, performance there was a difference but not significant.

I'm not paying anything like 10p a litre extra.

I've found some places rip you off with V-Power or Super in general others aren't too bad.

Generally I'm paying about 5 or 6 pence a litre more than 95RON from the same Shell garage.

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008

True, but I've been using it almost exclusively for about 6 months now (unless I can't find a Shell garage..), including in my previous car, a 7 yr old Focus 2.0 Ghia, with which I definitely noticed perfomance and economy gains using V-Power against standard supermarket 95Ron.
That was enough to convince me there is sufficient difference between the 2 grades to warrant the extra pump prices.
The choice has been made easier since I've found a local Shell competing with Sainsburys opposite that does V-Power for only approx. 5p/Litre difference...:clap:

Mike H

Only had the Cupra a couple of days, but similar to the MG ZS180 (and an old MGF) it replaced, it will only ever be filled up with VPower. But like Phil3012 above, most of the local Shell stations only charge 5-6p/litre more.

(Even though the MG's would not benefit from VPower (or Optimax as it was then) with no timing advance etc, what convinced me to stick with it was the fact that the performance just seemed to have that edge to it and, more significantly, the fact that when the head was off the F, it was soooooo clean :D ).

phil_monk

Aug 19, 2007
Tried both tesco 99 and V-Power. The Tesco stuff drives SOOOOO MUCH better.

When i first got it and used 95RON, it was very ruff and didn't pull right.

MatthewB

Oct 14, 2007
Would love to try the Tesco 99 stuff but there isn't a single garage in the Birmingham area with it, the nearest would be Stoke or Shrewsbury!

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
Anyone tried BP 102 ron? - a snip at almost £2.50 a litre lol. I use V-power or Tesco 99 always.

I would give it a go, the BP near me has it on the pumps (Were near the Aston Martin factory, Newport Pagnell) - Thing is, they never have any :( It's got a constant "Pump out of use" sign on it. Still, I bet after a couple of tanks full... :drive2:

Lol...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.