Best wax/sealant for brand new alloys?

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
Recently bought a set of alloys without any tyres on and was wondering whats the best thing to treat them with before I get the tyres swapped over and fitted to the car?

Seen a few good reviews for autogylm alloy wheel seal which is suppoed to be good VFM

Are there any other products that people recommend? Ideally I'm looking for something thats easy to apply and makes it easier to clean the brake dust and grime from the alloys.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
There are lots of good products to do the job you want. Here are the really good ones

1) Chemical Guys JetSeal 109
2) FinishKare FKP1000
3) Chemical Guys Wheel Guard
4) Poorboys Wheel Sealant

All are easy to apply and do a great job.

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
cheers I'll have a looksy.

I figure as I haven't fitted the alloys yet I can do them in my own time rather than rushing to get all 4 done before it gets dark etc

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
probably go for Chemical Guys JetSeal 109 around £10 more than the others but you get 16oz instead of 8oz.

Couldn't find a price on the Finishkare one.

How often do you need to reapply this sort of thing?

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
JetSeal 109 should give you around 4-5 months of protection on the wheels, this is obviously dependant on use, weather conditions and cleaning method.

Personally i wouldnt use a wheel cleaner on a sealed wheel because there shouldnt be a need to if you are cleaning the car weekly or even bi weekly. Shampoo should be more than enough.

Jetseal is a cracking product though and you can also use it on the cars paint :thumbup:

nogrille

basically anything's better than nothing!

Jetseals' good as is Zaino Clear Seal, Collinite 845. I'm currentlyl layering Carlack 68 which will be topped with Clearseal - that shouold see me through the winter.

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
As per a recommendation of here, and also several positive reviews on DW, I've bought some Planet Polish Wheel Seal & Shine (WSAS) for about £8 delivered IIRC ;)

Used it last weekend, so easy to apply with the sponge provided, and then just buff it off after it's hazed over.

Not had chance to clean the wheels since, but from what I've read the dirt/dyst should just fall off with the hose/pressure washer, no need for a sponge etc :thumbup:

D3DNA

May 14, 2006
Cov
I've got the Poorboys Wheel Sealant and I find it a very good product. I apply this by hand and let it go off naturally or get a hair-dryer on it. Wipe off the hazed sealant with a m/f towel then re-apply. I have found it to be very resilient and has made the wheels easier to clean after the initial application.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.