Best way of getting a bolt out?

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
Not exactly MK4 specific but it is a bolt on 1 im after getting out. The hexi bolt in the door catch the top one has completely gone rounded. Just wondering what my options are realisticly, what comes 2 mind for me is:

A)drill a pilot hole and use a screw extrcator
B)use the dremel and cut a flat bit in the bolt, then use a flat blade
C)drill it out but I do need the catch behind it :(

O as well what rivets do I need to put into the door catch to put it back, are we talking over the counter B&Q jobbies or specific size ones? Know this is kind of a double post but at least this way the problem will flag up for other people

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
Work out the size of the thread, then pick a drill half a mm smaller, (leaving 0.25 clearance on both sides) and then centrepunch and drill it. Then just pick out the remnants off the thread. To avoid hitting the catch, measure the size and back the drill off a fewmm before it ends.

Or use vicegrips if it has a bit of a head on it

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
I'd try and use a pair of molegrips first. If that fails i'd go for B). Give it a squirt of WD40 to help it come out smoother.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
tyred B tonight it wont budge the thing is dam near welded in I kid u not Iv neve put so much pressure on anything in my life!

Jun 28, 2001
put 2 strips thick of tank/duct tape around the bold ,get a really sharp metal(not wood) working chisel and on the edge of the bolt tap it there or use a sharp centre punch

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
b) then use an impact driver to get it out if it's tight. I tried everything trying to get retaining screw on my brake discs on old car out after I rounded it and the impact driver did the job after spraying with a bit of anti-seize stuff. If you do it this way, try tightening with the impact driver first then do it the right way.

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
start with B, if that fails try A if that fails go for C.

Best advice i can give is just take your time, or you'll end up making a mess (i've been there a few times lol)

kris_tdi

Mar 26, 2007
hammer in the hex key with a hammer, or use the next size up, then undo as normal, normally does the trick.

bizzaboy

Could try welding an old screwdriver bit to the Bolt, then simply connect the attachment and turn!? Alternatively weld a short length of metal bar that you can then easily turn with Pliers.

Just a thought (as i know they use a similar technique when a wheel bolt snaps off)!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members