Bi-xenon not working on one side

harry123

May 2, 2019
Although its an Old Post, i'm hoping there has been development since.

I am having the same issues where the passenger side is not working - Bulb Changed and Ballast changed but no luck.

Hoping as its been 5 years there is a cheaper alternative than the £1800 spent by the gentleman above.

2014 Ibiza Cupra

TIA

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Although its an Old Post, i'm hoping there has been development since.

I am having the same issues where the passenger side is not working - Bulb Changed and Ballast changed but no luck.

Hoping as its been 5 years there is a cheaper alternative than the £1800 spent by the gentleman above.

2014 Ibiza Cupra

TIA
I think @Legojon had a Xenon go and it wasn't cheap... I'm sure he can fill you in on details... I see a lot of MK2 Leon Cupra R's now going round with standard headlights as I assume the cost is so expensive... From what I remember no one wants to touch them because of the complicated electrics hence no after market parts etc...

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I think @Legojon had a Xenon go and it wasn't cheap... I'm sure he can fill you in on details... I see a lot of MK2 Leon Cupra R's now going round with standard headlights as I assume the cost is so expensive... From what I remember no one wants to touch them because of the complicated electrics hence no after market parts etc...

I had one of the power packs go (apparently there's 3). But had to fork out £550ish for a complete new headlight (with bulb) and £350 for an AFS power pack. I don't really think there's any good news when your xenon isn't working.

One thing I would say... I contacted some "experts" who make Leon HIDs for a living. I was told I'm basically stuffed and should just fork out the money for a new OEM light. I've since seen a couple of Cupra Rs with aftermarket HIDs made up which were less than I paid for a single light.

harry123

May 2, 2019
I had one of the power packs go (apparently there's 3). But had to fork out £550ish for a complete new headlight (with bulb) and £350 for an AFS power pack. I don't really think there's any good news when your xenon isn't working.

One thing I would say... I contacted some "experts" who make Leon HIDs for a living. I was told I'm basically stuffed and should just fork out the money for a new OEM light. I've since seen a couple of Cupra Rs with aftermarket HIDs made up which were less than I paid for a single light.

I don't mind getting a replacement light (not brand new obviously) just sceptical whether it would work or not.
The power pack and afs, are these within the light or outside of the light?

Tia

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Kind of outside. There are slots in the light enclosure they screw into. I'll try and take some pics tomorrow.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Ok, better get your 56k modem ready... as promised, I took some pics. Apoligises this isn't really my area of expertise so I'll comment them as best I can:

This is just the general back of the headlight with the plastic cover unscrewed. I think the square thing is an ignitor. The round thing is some kind of power pack. The ballast slots underneath and the other bulbs / power connector is to your left:
O9al9Re.jpg

Close up of the square thing (might be ignitor):
R9GFRiJ.jpg

Close up of round thing (think it's a power pack):
kLZP2Ql.jpg

Underneath looks like this... not much of note except where the AFS power pack goes (this is the one I blew so I know it LOL) bottom right. And where the ballast fits, left and above the AFS:
j6SvuS8.jpg

Close up of where the AFS pack slots in the bottom of the light:
57jxKK6.jpg

Behind view of where the ballast goes:
d20cO5l.jpg

This is the AFS power pack:
9n4A05F.jpg

View from behind with silver box (ballast) fitted:
2tLCYQp.jpg

Hope these help you.

harry123

May 2, 2019
My headlight went aswell, and Jon is correct in saying there is 3 parts. I think mine was roughly 700/800£ aswell. The xenon lights are not cheap!

Was it just plug and play once you purchased the light or did it require coding?

TIA

harry123

May 2, 2019
Ok, better get your 56k modem ready... as promised, I took some pics. Apoligises this isn't really my area of expertise so I'll comment them as best I can:

This is just the general back of the headlight with the plastic cover unscrewed. I think the square thing is an ignitor. The round thing is some kind of power pack. The ballast slots underneath and the other bulbs / power connector is to your left:
O9al9Re.jpg

R9GFRiJ.jpg

kLZP2Ql.jpg

Underneath looks like this... not much of note except where the AFS power pack goes (this is the one I blew so I know it LOL) bottom right. And where the ballast fits, left and above the AFS:
j6SvuS8.jpg

57jxKK6.jpg

d20cO5l.jpg

9n4A05F.jpg

2tLCYQp.jpg

Hope these help you.

Top Man! Thank you - BUT the images are not showing for some reason lol

harry123

May 2, 2019

The fact that so many are going i thought there must be some sort of work around/ cheap way of getting up and running without having to convert to HID or standard lights.

Downside to owning a car of which there is not many around - no many will bother investing with aftermarket/ fixes.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Was it just plug and play once you purchased the light or did it require coding?

My light required coding. Think that cost me another £60, they said it had to be done via VWs server in Germany or summat. Either that or it was beers all round that night.

Top Man! Thank you - BUT the images are not showing for some reason lol

Just had em checked, something must be blocking them for you. Possibly if you are at work it'll block imgur images or maybe if your on a mobile using mobile data, you'd need to click show images.

harry123

May 2, 2019
My light required coding. Think that cost me another £60, they said it had to be done via VWs server in Germany or summat. Either that or it was beers all round that night.

Just had em checked, something must be blocking them for you. Possibly if you are at work it'll block imgur images or maybe if your on a mobile using mobile data, you'd need to click show images.
hi,

yes they were blocked at work.;

Thank you for making the effort to take the pics - appreciate it.

Reactions: Legojon

Larahausp

Oct 19, 2020

O9al9Re.jpg

R9GFRiJ.jpg

kLZP2Ql.jpg

j6SvuS8.jpg

57jxKK6.jpg

d20cO5l.jpg

9n4A05F.jpg

2tLCYQp.jpg

Hope these help you.
What headlight is the from as mine is an exeo but the black module is just at thd back of light behind cover

Larahausp

Oct 19, 2020
It works fine with new build height adjusts etc but blown after 4 weeks. Need to stop the moisture getting in I think

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.