Bike Rack or Towbar?

Jan 9, 2022
Hi, I’m about to receive a VZ2, 310 and want to explore options to attach four bikes (3 adult and 1 child size). Wondering if anyone has experience of either roof/boot racks or tow bars?

All advice appreciated!

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
Had both,but after a nasty accident (a bracket in the roof mounted bike rack broke,dropping the bike onto my car)..I've invested in a tow bar mounted system.

Reactions: ScottL
Jan 9, 2022
Thanks for the response. Would you mind letting me know options and costs you undertook please??

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
I bought a westfalia type,I'm not sure of the model number sorry...bit it's suitable to carry ebikes and their additional weight.
Feels very secure and obviously has a number plate mount and lights
Screenshot_20220110-135431.png
Screenshot_20220110-135447.png

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Definitely a towbar, and a ball mounted rack. I use a Thule with a tlit function that still allows access to open the rear hatch. It also has clamp arms to hold the bikes, rather than strapping them to uprights. I've had roof mounted carriers, but the windage can be horrendous - and of course no room for a roof box.

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
Similar discussion on the Leon cupra st forum.
I’m sure if you find a reputable busy towbar fitters they’ll have the knowhow. Low volume places will use the “ witter, brink etc says no “
Not all cars have the type approval for towing but as a bike rack only purpose fitting a towbar is fine.

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
Similar discussion on the Leon cupra st forum.
I’m sure if you find a reputable busy towbar fitters they’ll have the knowhow. Low volume places will use the “ witter, brink etc says no “
Not all cars have the type approval for towing but as a bike rack only purpose fitting a towbar is fine.
Maybe, but what happens when you sell car and new owner thinks "ooh a towbar, I can tow a caravan" ?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.