Bilstein B6 vs B8 &H&R OE Springs

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of guidance. Has anyone lowered their car with a Bilstein and H&R OE set-up? I only want to drop around 20mm or so. I ordered the H&R OE and B8's and have now been told the B8s are on back order and the B6 will do the job just as well. The B6 are a little longer and whilst I might benefit from a comfortable ride I would still like to enjoy the look of a slight drop in stance. Any views?

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Hi bud I went though this awhile ago, I wanted a better ride quality and a slight drop, I have h+r springs and st shocks I went for st shocks after speaking to @Damian @ DPM I too was going to get bilstain glad I didn't, the ride quality is great and about a 2 finger gap between tire and arch. Defo speak to Damian he knows his stuff and will advise you on what's best

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi bud I went though this awhile ago, I wanted a better ride quality and a slight drop, I have h+r springs and st shocks I went for st shocks after speaking to @Damian @ DPM I too was going to get bilstain glad I didn't, the ride quality is great and about a 2 finger gap between tire and arch. Defo speak to Damian he knows his stuff and will advise you on what's best
Hi Thanks for this. I just spoke to him and this sounds like the ticket, especially the way you described it. I don't want the thing slammed to the ground, but a subtle drop is what I need.

Reactions: Dazzalcr

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
It is a good set up, and a great price compared to bilistain shocks the company that owns st is kw suspensions so quality is there. If you have gone same route as me I'm sure you will be happy, also worth changing out the top mounts for fresh while you have them off, go oem as Polly mounts will drop you another 10mm.
This is mine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221007-110025_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20221007-110025_WhatsApp.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: Jay20VT

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
It is a good set up, and a great price compared to bilistain shocks the company that owns st is kw suspensions so quality is there. If you have gone same route as me I'm sure you will be happy, also worth changing out the top mounts for fresh while you have them off, go oem as Polly mounts will drop you another 10mm.
This is mine
That's the ticket! Damian quoted 660 for the set up, seems very reasonable and that height is perfect wow

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Springs are the ONLY thing that determine height.

So B6 vs B8 will look exactly the same drop. However you ideally want the shocks that will match the spring drop

Reactions: Jay20VT

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
This is mine
Hi there, do you have part numbers/codes for the shocks and springs?
Thank you

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi mate, the h an r springs code I have is HR-29527-1
The rear damper 61w10028
Front damper 61w10029.
Hope that helps
Thank you. So after much deliberation I have gone for Eibach pro-kit and Bilsten B6, i have been told this is a good match for my requirements. Will feedback when done :)

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Well you can't go wrong with that set up either both very good at what they do, hope it performs and looks as u want it too. Unless you have a garage or someone is doing it for you why do we choose the cold time of year for a big job, I did mine in winter was a right ****** to do as bolts were rusted solded needed blow torch to help break erm free. Good luck

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thank you. So after much deliberation I have gone for Eibach pro-kit and Bilsten B6, i have been told this is a good match for my requirements. Will feedback when done :)
Eibach Pro Kit springs are always my go to choice. They lower the car just subtle enough for you to notice.

I have had H&R before and from experience the drop is quite severe. Looks like suspension is broken. I put them on my old E92 BMW coupe and it looked like it had a saggy bottom

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Thanks for your responses and glad I have made a reasonable choice, proof is in the pudding. Just waiting for them to arrive along with my Cobra cat back exhaust and I will go plant them at my mechanic's desk to get 'em fitted.
Will of course let you know how it all goes.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Bilstein don't recommend the B6 for standard springs let alone lowering springs on the Cupra R, someone has advised wrongly.

Damian @ DPM Performance
It's such a confusing topic, it's not like I can pop them on see what it looks like and take off again lol

Its all time and money which I dont have. Do you think I can get away with just the pro Kit with standard dampers? Or perhaps change to B8?

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
It can be but with the correct information and advice it's pretty straight forward. I think I mentioned on the phone that the B6 wouldn't be advised to use, unsure what company have now sold them to you.
Lowering springs on standard dampers is never ideal especially with if I recall correctly around 70k miles on yours? The Pro springs give a very subtle and minimal drop on the Cupra R, around 10mm, so you 'could' fit them with you standard dampers but as mentioned not ideal and I'd guess you'd end up changing them not long down the line. Yes the B8 would be the ones to use if you wanted to go down the Bilstein route. For me the ST dampers or one of the Koni sets would give a better ride but it's personal preference. I'm sure you'll get sorted in the end.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
It can be but with the correct information and advice it's pretty straight forward. I think I mentioned on the phone that the B6 wouldn't be advised to use, unsure what company have now sold them to you.
Lowering springs on standard dampers is never ideal especially with if I recall correctly around 70k miles on yours? The Pro springs give a very subtle and minimal drop on the Cupra R, around 10mm, so you 'could' fit them with you standard dampers but as mentioned not ideal and I'd guess you'd end up changing them not long down the line. Yes the B8 would be the ones to use if you wanted to go down the Bilstein route. For me the ST dampers or one of the Koni sets would give a better ride but it's personal preference. I'm sure you'll get sorted in the end.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Thanks Damian, very professional advice I'm soaking every bit of information that is coming in from all angles.