Bit worried my cars messed!?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
well i was going home from uni, and i went to see my old college mate, and i took him to the gym and was driving then out of no where there was a ridiculous dip, and boom, (not scraped, it just jumped rapidly) then loads of water went on my windscreen, at first i thought i hit a puddle, so carried on for like 100-200yards then i could see smoke from the front end, so immediately pulled over

openned the bonnet and water everywhere, i thought it was the radiator messed, but as the steam left, the radiator pipe had come off from the bolt (the one with a philips screw to tighten the pipe back on) so luckily i had just brought a tool kit from halfords the day before, so i loosened the screw, then put the pipe back on, tightened again, then i remembered i had some water in my boot (i always keep some in a massive gallon old water cordial bottle) but it didn't have much left in it, so i filled up as much was in there (i'd say like 500-600ml) then dropped my mate off, then went home

driving home the heater inside the car was just blowing cold air (i know this most likely would be the fact that water level is way too low)

but as soon as i got home i put loads water in, to top back upto what it should be, i heard loads of sizzling, and at one point thought the water cap was going to blow off!

the radiator is loose aswell, i didn't pull on it too much as it was boiling, and getting dark, so waiting for the morning to see whats happened, i pray its not much!

has anyone else have this happen to them? the radiator pipe come off?

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
No hot air probably because there wasn't enough water for the heater system.

Sizzling because the engine was hot (they burn petrol, don't you know?) and it had b*gger all coolant in it.

How far did you drive it?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
No hot air probably because there wasn't enough water for the heater system.

Sizzling because the engine was hot (they burn petrol, don't you know?) and it had b*gger all coolant in it.

How far did you drive it?

i know that, i ain't a complete n00b!

but a similar thing happen to my mate and it never sizzled anywhere near like that

i drove 5miles, but it was during mad traffic!

thermostat

As m0rk says , check thermo.. also DONT just top it with water. ADD COOLANT..

ok thanks people! do you think it'll have damaged the engine?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
probably. all depends how hot you got it, and how quickly you cooled it down.

easy way to find out though - fix it up & see if you get mayonaise

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
lol.. Mayo on your filler cap

i know, i was just kidding

Fine, sod it, i won't bother trying to help you out in the future.

mate i wasn't being rude, the way you said "cars do burn petrol" like i don't know that, but this has never happened to me before, i know how engines work generally, but don't know what to do when the radiator pipes comes out!
sorry if i offended you!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
no thats the thing, it stayed at halfway, and the temp on the trip computer was sayin 84-90

G223

Dec 6, 2007
yea, you cooked it, like said above drain and refill the coolant and look for mayo on your dipstick and inside the oil filler cap and oil in your coolant. engine knocking and any other wierdness as the engine may be scrapped now. sorry buddy

martin_hill_198

Apr 21, 2008
all might not be lost vw engines are weak unlike rovers lol....
just get new clips etc aswell so wont happen again as might been worn and old clips...

EssexIbiza1985

Oct 18, 2006
another thing in future is I have been told you should never top up a coolant system with cold water if the engine is hot... Bad things can happen if the engine components cool down too rapidly when you add the cold water.

Don't worry yourself until you have put everything back as before and see what happens... :D

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Drove a golf for five miles with no coolant (i'd smashed the radiator) once it had all been put together with the right coolant mix etc it was fine.

all might not be lost vw engines are weak unlike rovers lol....
just get new clips etc aswell so wont happen again as might been worn and old clips...

another thing in future is I have been told you should never top up a coolant system with cold water if the engine is hot... Bad things can happen if the engine components cool down too rapidly when you add the cold water.

Don't worry yourself until you have put everything back as before and see what happens... :D

My cars fine people, i put pure water in, then when i got home, i let it cool down, let the water out (for over night as my uncle advised as i didn't have any anti-freeze), then topped it up in the morning, went to his garage, got it checked, everything is fine (THANK GOD) then got home at night (after helping in the garage)
then the today it wouldn't start, second time it did, went to close bonnet, and seen sparks on the coil pack, so turned off immediately, being sunday nothing open, so had to go uni, so can't fix it until next friday :(
as long as the engine isn't nackered i'm happy! i can change the coil pack/leads/dizzy cap, but can't afford an engine transplant

thanks for all the help people!

and mate i have put a new clip on just to make sure it doesn't happen again and have spoke to the council about the dip in the road, so hopefully get some money back (as he said it most likely is possible :D happy days) lol
thanks again!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
just a quick update!

well on the sunday when i was heading off to my uni home, my car wouldn't turn over, and when it did, sparks were coming out of the coil pack, so immediately turned it off, but being a sunday i couldn't get a coil pack (for a good price, i am not going to pay twice as much for a fake crap part)

so my mate at uni works for GSF, so got me a OEM part for much cheaper than the fake part, so fitted it today, and changed the sparks, leads and dizzy (as i was going to anyway) and it started straight away, and was running so perfect, felt better than it was before all this malarky :D

oh happy days, if it was ruined i would of cried lol!

thanks for all the help people!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.