Black Box

• Thread starter Deleted member 103408
  • Start date

Deleted member 103408

Spotted here https://www.regit.cars/car-news/new...ther-black-boxes-could-become-mandatory_71721

here https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road...ects/black_boxes_in_vehicle_data_recorders_en

Although they have been talking about this since 2015

New EU Proposals Suggest Big-Brother Black Boxes Could Become Mandatory

While everyone is getting a bit bored of the ongoing Brexit debacle, news emerged last week that never really got the attention that it deserved. A proposal was made to the European Council that seeks to have vehicle tracking and remote regulating software fitted to all new cars bought in the EU.

In the UK we already have these telematics systems that are often called ‘black boxes’. The black boxes are encouraged and often mandatory with some insurers, particularly when trying to insure young drivers, and can seriously help reduce annual insurance premiums for consumers.

1544706321_5NHq.jpg

The technology encouraged by the European Commission hasn’t been put forward to reduce insurance premiums, instead, it is being pushed as an improvement to safety standards. The idea is that the onboard diagnostics of any new car can be monitored and, in the event of a crash, the onboard computer can be consulted to determine the speed at which the car was travelling, the point at which the brakes were applied and also which safety features operating at the time of the crash. For example, if a crash was caused by a car being driven dangerously, the diagnostics would show the rate of acceleration, whether the car was in ‘Sport’ mode and if features like traction control had been turned off.

Other than just black boxes, all cars would need to be fitted with speed assistance technology by law. This means that every new car must legally have speed limit recognition sensors which tell the driver what the prevailing speed limit is for the specific road they are driving on. Other mandatory features would include autonomous emergency braking systems (which detect imminent impacts and slam on the brakes to either prevent or reduce the velocity), lane keeping assistance (which notify the driver via steering vibrations or sound alerts when the car is leaving its lane without indicating) and driver fatigue detection (which monitors the body language of the driver to ensure they remain attentive and alert.)

1544706454_tE7c.jpg

Perhaps the most interesting suggestion in the proposal is that all new cars are fitted with the necessary wiring to install alcohol interlocks. An alcohol interlock is a device that intercepts the ignition system with a breathalyser. This means that cars can only be turned on if the driver can pass a breath-test, ensuring they are not over the legal limit. It is worth making it clear that the EU proposal only requests that the necessary wiring is installed in every car, not the breathalysers themselves, so motorists with no history of drink-driving will not need to give a breath sample every time they want to start their car. These devices are only really used in the US and in Denmark, however, they have also been trialled by Durham Police with repeat offenders.

1544705580_vfML.jpg

There is no fixed date as to when this will be discussed among the European Council however it will be prepared for ‘early 2019’ and they will aim for a ‘rapid agreement.’ It is thought that implementing the mandated changes will happen progressively over the following 3 years from the date the mandate is passed.

Reactions: Seastormer

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I
Spotted here https://www.regit.cars/car-news/new...ther-black-boxes-could-become-mandatory_71721

here https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road...ects/black_boxes_in_vehicle_data_recorders_en

Although they have been talking about this since 2015

New EU Proposals Suggest Big-Brother Black Boxes Could Become Mandatory

While everyone is getting a bit bored of the ongoing Brexit debacle, news emerged last week that never really got the attention that it deserved. A proposal was made to the European Council that seeks to have vehicle tracking and remote regulating software fitted to all new cars bought in the EU.

In the UK we already have these telematics systems that are often called ‘black boxes’. The black boxes are encouraged and often mandatory with some insurers, particularly when trying to insure young drivers, and can seriously help reduce annual insurance premiums for consumers.

1544706321_5NHq.jpg

The technology encouraged by the European Commission hasn’t been put forward to reduce insurance premiums, instead, it is being pushed as an improvement to safety standards. The idea is that the onboard diagnostics of any new car can be monitored and, in the event of a crash, the onboard computer can be consulted to determine the speed at which the car was travelling, the point at which the brakes were applied and also which safety features operating at the time of the crash. For example, if a crash was caused by a car being driven dangerously, the diagnostics would show the rate of acceleration, whether the car was in ‘Sport’ mode and if features like traction control had been turned off.

Other than just black boxes, all cars would need to be fitted with speed assistance technology by law. This means that every new car must legally have speed limit recognition sensors which tell the driver what the prevailing speed limit is for the specific road they are driving on. Other mandatory features would include autonomous emergency braking systems (which detect imminent impacts and slam on the brakes to either prevent or reduce the velocity), lane keeping assistance (which notify the driver via steering vibrations or sound alerts when the car is leaving its lane without indicating) and driver fatigue detection (which monitors the body language of the driver to ensure they remain attentive and alert.)

1544706454_tE7c.jpg

Perhaps the most interesting suggestion in the proposal is that all new cars are fitted with the necessary wiring to install alcohol interlocks. An alcohol interlock is a device that intercepts the ignition system with a breathalyser. This means that cars can only be turned on if the driver can pass a breath-test, ensuring they are not over the legal limit. It is worth making it clear that the EU proposal only requests that the necessary wiring is installed in every car, not the breathalysers themselves, so motorists with no history of drink-driving will not need to give a breath sample every time they want to start their car. These devices are only really used in the US and in Denmark, however, they have also been trialled by Durham Police with repeat offenders.

1544705580_vfML.jpg

There is no fixed date as to when this will be discussed among the European Council however it will be prepared for ‘early 2019’ and they will aim for a ‘rapid agreement.’ It is thought that implementing the mandated changes will happen progressively over the following 3 years from the date the mandate is passed.
I read this in Auto Express and noted that the UK will adopt this if it happens, even if we go ahead with Brexit, which I hope we don't

Last edited:
Reactions: '& Son' managed

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
The breathalyser thing is a great idea, I wouldn't actually mind if it was in all cars. While there are some habitual drink drivers quite often its people who take the odd risk now and then that seem to be involved in the most accidents, either way making it mandatory would save lives so why not? There is never a reason to drink and drive. I wouldn't have lost some of my friends if this was mandatory already.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
"This means that every new car must legally have speed limit recognition sensors which tell the driver what the prevailing speed limit is for the specific road they are driving on. Other mandatory features would include autonomous emergency braking systems (which detect imminent impacts and slam on the brakes to either prevent or reduce the velocity"

The trouble is, whilst these things are great. Any technology is prone to error... for example, having driven a couple of new hire cars recently. I was confused by the speed limit sensor showing 5mph on the hud!! But then I noticed the jcb on the truck in front had a 5mph max sign on it! This combined with the fact it could never read the smaller speed signs.

But my personal favourite coming from a car with no tech... I had the CC on, cruising at 70mph, and a plastic bag blew in front of me. Big deal eh? Only now, the car is beeping and the HUD is flashing "brake now" in red. I pretty much cr@pped my pants wondering what was going on. Till it then decided to slam the brakes on for me (much to the surprise of the drive behind me also doing 70mph).

Deleted member 103408

Agreed this is all good stuff but the tech is also still new and suffers with problems.

If you get the wrong sort of rain the sensors cant cope. I have seen speed limits on mine of 100 and the brake thing is great but it can get confused. As can the lane control stuff (which I turned off).

Rover did a breathaliser years ago and removed it as it was to much hassle

The other point is this will put up the price of cars or reduce the equipment to pay for it and if its like all the other tech on cars today it wont last and will be expensive to replace. I have said it before but lots of cars are getting scrapped now as the tech is to expensive to replace so people get rid of the cars.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise