blue smoke :(

turboholic

CupraPower
Mar 4, 2010
Bristol/Bath/Frome
i've recently rebuilt my 1.8t but im getting blue smoke from the exhaust! :(

does it when...... on start up most of the time but not all the time.... Stuck in traffic it will start smoking on idle after a few minutes not straight away... And moving slow ish in traffic...pulling away......and rolling down a hill engine braking big cloud and then at the bottom back on the throttle I get another big cloud.... But driving normal when the engines got load on it it doesn't smoke at all... Seems to only do it once the engine gets hot aswell never when cold.... it drives perfect, starts fine every time and not down on power at all.

i've been looking on other forums and alot of people saying the obvious.......turbo, valve seals or piston rings!! but which one???

anyone got any ideas??

It could be the valve stem seals. This I's what your symptoms relate to I believe. When u rebuilt what was it for and what did or didn't you replace. If pistons where removed then did you fit new rings and re-honed the cylinder Walls and also are the rings set up properly and most importantly was every component put back I'n it's exact place? Even something as simple to rebuild for would also require a break I'n so was the engine broke I'n properly? Sorry if you know all this but just trying to help :)

turboholic

CupraPower
Mar 4, 2010
Bristol/Bath/Frome
engine was rebuilt for my big turbo conversion. replaced everything including the head for a largeport one. valve stem seals where replaced (however one of the new ones ripped so i put an old one back in) :S. new piston rings set up properly and bores where honed. everything went back in the same place. engine was broke in properly and now on proper oil.

Well that's a pita. Is it going through much oil (excessive) and how long/miles since the rebuild? I would have imagined everything would have settled by now but it may still need to bed I'n properly. :( I'll be rebuilding mine sometime this year so I'm hoping all goes well. :/ hope u find out what it I's and that it's nothing to major.

turboholic

CupraPower
Mar 4, 2010
Bristol/Bath/Frome
oil level doesnt seem to drop! which is strange. it must be the tiniest amount of oil being burned. ive now done about 600miles since the rebuild. hope you have more luck than i do lol

turboholic

CupraPower
Mar 4, 2010
Bristol/Bath/Frome
i've got the head off atm. turns out a few of the valve stem oil seals on the exhaust side were loose and were going up and down with the valves!! also found some minor score marks on the cylinder walls so i've got the pistons out ready to hone the bores and fit new piston rings that i got today.

cheers for all the help!

bo!

Oct 12, 2012
Hi.
Turboholic .was your problem solved when you put the head back together.??
I have a leon 1.8T AUQ with very similar symptoms .i have recently removed the cat for decat and my symptoms have now worsened.so now something needs to be done. I have taken it to various garages to try and definitively diagnose the problem last year but was inconclusive. One garage however was leaning more towards valve stem oil seals.they took the inlet off and left it over night to see if any oil was seaping past somewhere not 100% on what it was they did . neither sure if this is a specific test for checking valve stem oil seals.?. Id appreciate any input on this regards .

turboholic

CupraPower
Mar 4, 2010
Bristol/Bath/Frome
Hi. Yes this turned out to be my valve stem oil seals! As said above, i made the mistake of fitting the ones that come with the head set. Oem for the win!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise