Bonnet sound deadening

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Is the sound deadening under the bonnet the same on all mk2 Leons? Just had mine replaced as the original one was wet, mouldy and sagging onto the engine.

The new one looks thinner and neater, but the old one did look a mess and had probably swelled.

Anyone got any pics of theirs or others???

Last edited:

craigomills

Candy White FR TDI 170
Mar 31, 2005
Derby
Is the sound deadening under the bonnet the same on all mk2 Leons? Just had mine replaced as the original one was wet, mouldy and sagging onto the engine.

The new one looks thinner and neater, but the old one did look a mess and had probably swelled.

Anyone got any pics of theirs or others???

Mine is exactly the same - did you have yours replaced under warranty?

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Yeah it was warranty. :D

It was starting to rub on the maf sensor cable and was wearing a mark into the sound proofing. You could push it up and down with your hand and see the moisture in it.

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
I'll check mine tomorrow morning, I think mine might be like this as well, certainly had a problem with one of the plastic clips popping out and I had strange rattling noise until I figured out to check under bonnet and reattach it.... might try to get it replaced all together.

Scotsguard

Mine is the same. 1 clip is missing and it's soggy and saggy. Might make a visit to the stealers before my warranty runs out.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Must be a common thing with the missing clip. Mine had one missing on the passenger side near the front of the bonnet. 1st garage said that was why it was sagging and I would need to take it to the dealer I bought it from!!:censored: He did put a new clip in it though.

Second dealer said it was shot and would order a new one straight away.:funk:

SEATgod

Hello Mate,

The part number for the modified clips is: 6L6 853 575.

These have seals on the underside of them to stop water running dow the inside of the bonnet struts and onto the sound lining.

These clips are what hold the black trim onto the top edge of the bonnet, there are nine of them.

The clips and lining should be replaced under warranty, providing the normal mitigations on your behalf are still met.

If they are, kindly (Dealers dont like abuse) ask your Dealer to contact SEAT Technical Support who will confirm everything for them.

TTFN

claudefrog

Oct 23, 2005
At home
www.reallymeansounds.com
Hello Mate,

The part number for the modified clips is: 6L6 853 575.

These have seals on the underside of them to stop water running dow the inside of the bonnet struts and onto the sound lining.

These clips are what hold the black trim onto the top edge of the bonnet, there are nine of them.

The clips and lining should be replaced under warranty, providing the normal mitigations on your behalf are still met.

If they are, kindly (Dealers dont like abuse) ask your Dealer to contact SEAT Technical Support who will confirm everything for them.

TTFN

cheers for that.. i will look into that tomorrow

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Well..................its starting to get wet and damp again!!:wtf:

I'll need to ask them to look into the revised fixes as mentioned above. They must have used the older style ones.

Do you have pics or anything I can tell the dealer to look up?

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Had mine done 3 weeks ago under warranty, had to give the dealer the part no. (thanks Seatgod) for the clips as they had no knowledge of them, also suggested they speak to UK Seat which they did.

To soon to say if it fixed it though.

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
The problem is with the black plastic piece on the bonnet. The edge between the bonnet and the plastic is not perfectly sealed so when it rains or you wash the car, the water leaks underneath the plastic piece and ends on the sound deadening sponge through holes on bonnet's metal sheet. If you remove the sound proofing completely and you don't have an engine cover the water may end inside the coil packs/spark plug holes. I tried both options and that's why I know. The best thing is to remove the plastic piece and seal the whole area with either vinyl wrap (as I did) or use silicon to seal the holes. Then put back the plastic piece and you'll be fine.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Thanks. I'll look into doing that.

How does the plastic part come off easy? Thats the part that the washers are fitted to right??

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Juat had the sound deadening replaced again.

I got the new clips so will have a look tomorrow and see if I can seal it all up.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
how about engine noise from tdi when You remove sound deadening mat ??

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise