Boost leak or something more severe?

Ushuss

Oct 20, 2016
Hi all,

So...I've been busy diagnosing this boost leak I think my car has, but doesn't seem like it has.

Symptoms: wooshing/hissing noise. Seems to come from the airbox pipe that connects to the turbo. Excess black smoke when flooring it from 1.5krpm which didn't occur before.

Got my friend to rev while I squeezed the airbox pipe and the noise sort of stopped. The pipe I was squeezing is a hard rubber plastic sort.

So far; using torque pro. Boost is holding from 2k to 4k rpm at 22.3psi MAP Sensor values. I'm 100% certain it used to be 24.7psi.

It does seem down on power. As it used to boost very hard.

So I started with all the vacuum pipes, they were fine. Though torque used to report vaccum at idle at 0.4hgc or whatever it is. Now it's at 0.7hgc. I do not know whether it's worse or what.

Sprayed fairy liquid on all pipes, revved and watched for bubble, saw none.

Checked the turbo pipe to intercooler pipe and that has no splits.

Checked the actuator rod by manually moving it and also sucking on the vaccum line that runs to it. All fine. Sucked on all of the lines to be fair and blew to see if it was a vaccum leak, all seemed fine. Checked the n75 valve that's fine.

Bottom passengers side intercooler hose sort of checked with the stupid tray that's on the bottom of the car, hard to do but manageable. No traces of oil residue or anything so don't think it's that. But I will have to take the tray off to make sure.

Drivers side not done as ill have to undo the undertray but I'm thinking it is that or the pipe that goes to the egr. As sometimes I hear a coughing sound when revving the car from that side. Very similar sound as to when my egr pipe split on the mondeo I had.

Took it to a friends mechanic for an opinion. He said "turbos dying mate new turbo time." Though no police siren noise or anything. He said the hissing noise is because of play on the shaft of the turbo. I checked this and it had slight play side to side but very very minimal. I checked for a chipped blade etc but everything looked normal to me.

No blue smoke at all from the car.

So my values were being read from the MAP sensor I will read from the MAF to see what it's doing.

Pd170 VAG BMN engine.

Not sure where to go from here.

Any advice or opinions welcome.

Ushuss

Oct 20, 2016
Thought I would update this. After checking the above I got round to checking my boost hoses. I ordered a hardpipe kit similar to the one from darkside but a tad cheaper. Turned out it was my lower drivers side intercooler hose had slightly popped off. The plastic holes where the tabs clip into are fine. I may need a new spring as even with the new hose there is some slight play. Other then that car seems a lot better then before.

Thought I'd post just in case others have similar problems in the future.

Reactions: mty12345 and Denzil
Apr 20, 2023
Much appreciated.. do you remember if this boost pipe had any play? My one, even eith brand new seals still feels like I can wiggle it about.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise