Boot Gas Struts

Bastowe

Jun 16, 2018
Nice spot! have ordered so will find out if they work... am planning on trying to use the old boot struts to make up a DIY bonnet lift kit.......
I've just fitted these and unfortunately they don't work too well, the boot pops up about half an inch then stops. Suppose I could try some silicone spray on the struts but I don't have any at the mo, may pop to screwfix on my way home from work tomorrow and report back. *fingers crossed*

Reactions: sebastalian

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I've just fitted these and unfortunately they don't work too well, the boot pops up about half an inch then stops. Suppose I could try some silicone spray on the struts but I don't have any at the mo, may pop to screwfix on my way home from work tomorrow and report back. *fingers crossed*
I had this issue and it was down to me not holding down the button on the key fob long enough...
It feels like I'm holding the button down for about 1.5 seconds or so...

Bastowe

Jun 16, 2018
I had this issue and it was down to me not holding down the button on the key fob long enough...
It feels like I'm holding the button down for about 1.5 seconds or so...
I think its the struts, I hold the button and the boot lifts about 0.5 inch then stops, then I can lift the boot without touching the handle. Also I tried some silicone spray and it made no difference so I'm considering getting a couple of springs to fit to the struts to see if that'll help.
I'll try the button again, but it'll have to wait until the morning now as I'm busy getting drunk. :redface:

Reactions: Wastedagen

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
I think its the struts, I hold the button and the boot lifts about 0.5 inch then stops, then I can lift the boot without touching the handle. Also I tried some silicone spray and it made no difference so I'm considering getting a couple of springs to fit to the struts to see if that'll help.
I'll try the button again, but it'll have to wait until the morning now as I'm busy getting drunk. :redface:

That’s a shame, it looks like the extra cost of the Stabilus struts is worth it.

Kenton

Jun 19, 2018
Just double checking, no-one has found a solution yet for the ST? According to what I can find, tried reading the actual part details on mine with no joy, the ST standard struts are 589mm with a stroke of 167.5 and a capacity of 540nM. Would it be reasonable to assume its just the final figure, lifting capacity, that needs to vary to provide an unassisted lift?

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Just double checking, no-one has found a solution yet for the ST? According to what I can find, tried reading the actual part details on mine with no joy, the ST standard struts are 589mm with a stroke of 167.5 and a capacity of 540nM. Would it be reasonable to assume its just the final figure, lifting capacity, that needs to vary to provide an unassisted lift?

Yes it should be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
Can you report back on whether they work please?
well the cheap ones didn't work for me.... they open the lid about an inch, then it needs to be moved before it springs up..
I wonder if its because of the straight end couplers putting the strut at the wrong angle? the standard ones have an angle at the end that connects to the tailgate. Unfortunately the thread size on the cheap ones is different to the OE ones, so you can just swap them over...

oh well, its either in the bin, or get some helper springs...

nick.buchan2

May 10, 2018
Thanks for the update. Think I might get some Stabilus ones. I just have a nagging feeling that they might put too much stress on the bootlid and hinges etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

Nick there we bonnet mods on the MK2 that caused that sort of issue but all i can tell you is I have had mine fitted for a year and a half and no sign of stress on my 5 door car.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
well the cheap ones didn't work for me.... they open the lid about an inch, then it needs to be moved before it springs up..
I wonder if its because of the straight end couplers putting the strut at the wrong angle? the standard ones have an angle at the end that connects to the tailgate. Unfortunately the thread size on the cheap ones is different to the OE ones, so you can just swap them over...

oh well, its either in the bin, or get some helper springs...

So the choice was to either bin these cheap ones and spend another £25 on more struts, or find another route... so ive got myself some little medium load die springs, in a length I thought looked roughly right (38mm) and hey presto, it works!
https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Medium-Load-Die-Springs--Blue/B16x38-Medium-Load-Die-Spring-31081-p

I wouldn't recommend it as the springs were £15, so its best to just buy the proper stabiles ones :) :) :)

now to try and see what length the bonnet struts need to be....