Boot Issues

Jun 22, 2023
Hi all,

Have an issue with my boot as it wouldn't open, took it for an MOT at Halfords and obviously they said it would fail due to this so they have diagnosed the issue being that someone tried to break into my boot and has broke the tailgate wiring harness.

Halfords do not have the correct replacement part for this and are trying to get me to source one myself, I have no idea on cars so do not know where to look to find a tailgate wiring harness, my car reg is YY66OVN if this helps.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am in a bit of mess at the moment

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well, maybe the quickest way to sort this is to go into your local SEAT dealership's parts department and tell them you need a new cable form for the car body out into the hatch back.
I would have thought that it would be cheaper to get a proper auto electrician to repair the damage to the wiring, just a guess though as I'd expect that the cableform that you need will be quite expensive - but asking at the local SEAT dealership parts department will provide you with the unit cost of a new cableform. before you think about alternative ways to sort this out.

Reactions: noahwright
Jun 22, 2023
Well, maybe the quickest way to sort this is to go into your local SEAT dealership's parts department and tell them you need a new cable form for the car body out into the hatch back.
I would have thought that it would be cheaper to get a proper auto electrician to repair the damage to the wiring, just a guess though as I'd expect that the cableform that you need will be quite expensive - but asking at the local SEAT dealership parts department will provide you with the unit cost of a new cableform. before you think about alternative ways to sort this out.
Thanks for the help - I cannot take the car to a dealership as it will be out of MOT on Saturday but if I went in saying my problem would they be likely to know the part I would need to fix the issue
Also on the repairing it part, would Halfords have already tried to fix it or do they just go - that looks a bit broke they need a new one?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd doubt if this sort of work is within Halfords comfort zone, so that is why I've suggested looking for an auto electrician - I don't know how tricky finding one is though, location location location I'd think.

You would either need to know where exactly the problem was before ordering in a cableform and I'd think that they will be made to order, so some time delay. From what you have said, or been told, it sounds like the cableform that is mainly contained within the rear hatch is now faulty - as it connects to the main body cable form roughly just inside the body from the rear hatch. My suggestion is to first ask for a price for the rear hatch cable form for your car, once you have that, you will know how much to allow an auto electrician to use up repairing it.

No quick easy answer to your questions I'd think.

Jun 22, 2023
I'd doubt if this sort of work is within Halfords comfort zone, so that is why I've suggested looking for an auto electrician - I don't know how tricky finding one is though, location location location I'd think.

You would either need to know where exactly the problem was before ordering in a cableform and I'd think that they will be made to order, so some time delay. From what you have said, or been told, it sounds like the cableform that is mainly contained within the rear hatch is now faulty - as it connects to the main body cable form roughly just inside the body from the rear hatch. My suggestion is to first ask for a price for the rear hatch cable form for your car, once you have that, you will know how much to allow an auto electrician to use up repairing it.

No quick easy answer to your questions I'd think.
I have found one my dad knew and is having a look Monday morning - thanks a lot for the advise it is much appreciated