Boot light not working

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
An annoying one this, especially as the dealer I got the car from is 200 miles away! I’d noticed the lack of a boot light, and thought nothing of it, until air found out there was actually one. But mine wasn’t working. I’d also read it wasn’t very bright, so to kill 2 birds with 1 stone I bought an 8 LED replacement. Today I wen5 out and popped out the original, an£ discovered why exactly it wasn’t working.....

I wasn’t connected to anything, and indeed there appears to be nothing (as in no wire dangling about) there for it to connect to - fantastic quality control!

Untitled by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

old and new...

Does anyone have any pictures of what it should be connected to?.

Reactions: Tell

Deleted member 98136

Obviously a connection to a lead coming out of the wiring loom, can I suggest you try looking for the connecting lead by using a small mirror angled in from the access panel that you've removed. As you say fantastic quality control !

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
My heated wing mirror at build was never clipped home. Had to wait to winter to find that it didn't defrost. Whilst they also left the foot well light out of the passenger side. That just needed clipping into the loom as Stepdey said. Think they have a sip of tea as the cars pass them on the production line.

@Bedlam has updated their boot lights see whether we can magic them up.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
My heated wing mirror at build was never clipped home. Had to wait to winter to find that it didn't defrost. Whilst they also left the foot well light out of the passenger side. That just needed clipping into the loom as Stepdey said. Think they have a sip of tea as the cars pass them on the production line.

@Bedlam has updated their boot lights see whether we can magic them up.
If anyone wants to brighten their luggage area I can recommend the 4 LED version of this
https://emtuning.co.uk/product/audi-oem ... ade-bulbs/
A bit fiddly to dismantle the existing light unit but fit perfectly, will also fit cabin floor lights

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Oh, I popped the orginal light out in about 2 seconds - but there was no wiring connected to it, it just fell out. I was hoping for photos to show what wiring should be there, when I go searching with my mirror-onna-stick.

Tell

Staff member
I suspect your original wiring may be dropped down inside the car. Someone pulled yours out and let the cable drop.

I did un clip mine many moons ago and read the serial number of the back.

8J0 947 4098

Same as the foot well lights in LED which is why they are interchangeable:). Picture of it when I pulled it forward... and didn't drop the cable :).

Think you need to go looking for a loose cable down the back / the loom socket if never fitted. No doubt those cables will be sold if missing.

Attachments

• 20210407_102211.png
    20210407_102211.png
    231.8 KB · Views: 115

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Yep, hence the mirror on a stick I've ordered. I certainly didn't pull the light off a cable - when I popped it out it literally fell out into the boot.

Tell

Staff member
Was that a brand new car, dealer demonstrator or second hand?. Suspect someone has fiddled with it rather than a build issue unless they just failed to clip the cable all the way in during build and it's dropped off.

Will be interesting to hear whether the cable is just laying down the back. Will have to think about Bedlam's light upgrade, it is a bit dim in the boot which is why in 2016/17 I pulled the light forward but seeing it was LED decided there was nothing to be done at that time.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Dealer demonstrator with 1800 miles on the clock, so doubt it's been messed with. Unfortunately they're 100 miles away, and the nearest Cupra dealer is 20 miles. And although there is a SEAT dealer closer, I wouldn't trust them with anything, having used them for my wifes Peugeot (they have multiple franchises on the one site)

Deleted member 98136

Well I hope you locate the relevant wire/loom easily because if not you've got to remove that complete boot side panel to acces the rear wiring loom, that includes the removal of rear seats to remove the panel, been there on a previous Leon, which appears to be the same configuration as an Ateca takes about an hour or so.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
If I can't find it - I'll get the indie I use to do it when it goes in in September for it's annual service! They can fit the rear mud flaps too, since I can't find any info on a suitable lifting point for a trolley jack that would allow me to use an axle stand under the sill (or vice versa). The fronts I think I can manage by turning the wheels full lock.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise