Boot won't open - MOT due

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hey guys

It's been a while, which I guess is a good thing lol.

Anyway for sometime I have had an intermittent problem where my boot 'S' switch sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work to open the boot.

I have:

1) Replaced the switch and thought this solved it but again it stopped working and then a few weeks later started working again

2) Tested connections no corrosion and is getting power.

Having spoke about this b4 on the forum I was.made aware that my car V.I.N may have a type of "virus" that a batch of mk5 from production also had that causes this issue. Because in addition to this my car can intermittently drain and won't start. I've replaced battery, checked alternator, parasitic draw, all checks out with load testers etc. But if i leave my car for me than 4-7 days it here a good chance it won't start.

My issue is that I knew taking it to seat to try solve this issues was going to be extensive and costly as I just know that my specific dealership may not have dealt with this "rarirty" b4 and will do the usual fix as much as possible until it is resolved meaning £££. All of this for merely opening my boot I learned to live with manually opening it and waiting for it to come back on its own accord. But I have been told by MOT test centre that they simply won't carry out the test if boot won't open during their preliminary checks

Is there anyway to manually override the switch or replace the electric boot switch for an old skool key style. Any ideas welcome to get me around this annoying problem .

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
To anyone who this may affect.

So took my car to seat and turns out it was a corroded earth terminal which they cleaned up and seems all OK. Not sure how I missed this but it's fixed now.
66ed4c4f16eba8acf61d81619aa3f01f.jpg

Reactions: Woody_72

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
That was quite a cheap fix, it all seems so easy when you know what to look for, I'm bet you are happy at that cost to fix that issue!
Yeah defiantly happy at the cost as I believed it was a defiantly a broken wire so was expecting more and was a must. Just a bit annoyed in myself that I never looked deeper for corrosion. Lesson learnt that things may look OK but sometimes u just got to get in there deeper.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
A little update for anyone in future. The problem has returned but doubting if it was corrosion as i drenched the rear bonnet in water and could not find any water getting in. Still looking and hoping someone can point in right direction as what it could be. There is a clicking sound from under the steering by fuse box when u pressure the boot switch, but checked fuses with a multi and they all are fine?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feb 6, 2019
I had trouble with the boot not opening. I changed the s logo which you flip and the part that locks the trunk lid to the whole car. This fixed it. Look picture 3 for the grey pair locking mechanism

Reactions: everson38

andycupra

status subject to change
so the boot still opens manually? just not via the button? this is not an MOT issue. - it would be if they could not open the boot, but they CAN open the boot, just because they have to do this manually is not an issue.

When it doesn't open via the button, does it make any noise as if its trying to open/unlock? or does it just do nothing?
If it 'tries' to unlock, the solenoid often struggles and needs a bit of lubrication. however i get the impression in your case it works or doesn't so more an electrical issue?

Reactions: everson38
Feb 6, 2019
Have anyone been messing with the vcds or obdeleven in the brain of the car ?. Have you tried getting the car updated/reset the car?

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I had trouble with the boot not opening. I changed the s logo which you flip and the part that locks the trunk lid to the whole car. This fixed it. Look picture 3 for the grey pair locking mechanism
Hello Nicolai, both these parts (Seat 'S' switch + Locking mechanism) have been replaced and no joy, still does not open. Ehen you press the S switch, you can hear a clicking coming from under the steering wheel?

Feb 6, 2019
Hello Nicolai, both these parts (Seat 'S' switch + Locking mechanism) have been replaced and no joy, still does not open. Ehen you press the S switch, you can hear a clicking coming from under the steering wheel?

Sounds like, as I remember there are 2 motors for the trunk lid, I once had a mechanic who by accident in vcds turned one of them off. This caused a situation like yours

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
so the boot still opens manually? just not via the button? this is not an MOT issue. - it would be if they could not open the boot, but they CAN open the boot, just because they have to do this manually is not an issue.

When it doesn't open via the button, does it make any noise as if its trying to open/unlock? or does it just do nothing?
If it 'tries' to unlock, the solenoid often struggles and needs a bit of lubrication. however i get the impression in your case it works or doesn't so more an electrical issue?
Hey Andy, so you cannot get in the boot at all unless you climb into the boot and use the emergency release level. When you press the Seat 'S' switch NO sound can be heard i.e the solenoid / motor noise doesnt sound. The same goes for if you use the remote, nothing sounds or happens. The only thing that does happens is when you press the Seat S switch you can hear a clicking up the steering wheel in pattern with every press?

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Sounds like, as I remember there are 2 motors for the trunk lid, I once had a mechanic who by accident in vcds turned one of them off. This caused a situation like yours
Hey Nicolai, in regards to your previous, no noone has played around with VCDS or anything like that. The car went into Seat about year ago and they said there was some corrosion on terminals, but i dont by that now as i drenched the car for about 25 mins in water and no leaks. A year ago the car was temperamental, so it would come and go and i believe it did that thing it started to work again as it was at seat and they charged £50 for it, as this happened to me also, stopped working, had a look a few days later and all ok. I have attached the seat invoice, if anyone knows where this earth terminal is please let me know so i can check it out.
fa7d75de92cf2c2870c667a8baada827.jpg

Feb 6, 2019
Hey Nicolai, in regards to your previous, no noone has played around with VCDS or anything like that. The car went into Seat about year ago and they said there was some corrosion on terminals, but i dont by that now as i drenched the car for about 25 mins in water and no leaks. A year ago the car was temperamental, so it would come and go and i believe it did that thing it started to work again as it was at seat and they charged £50 for it, as this happened to me also, stopped working, had a look a few days later and all ok. I have attached the seat invoice, if anyone knows where this earth terminal is please let me know so i can check it out.
fa7d75de92cf2c2870c667a8baada827.jpg

I know you can get a factory reset, if that cant help. Then you have a hard time finding the source. It sounds like mold, bad wiring or something like that. Since you have replaced those parts you told about earlier. Have you tried to look at the wiring they fixed ? Perhaps they didn't do a proper job

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I know you can get a factory reset, if that cant help. Then you have a hard time finding the source. It sounds like mold, bad wiring or something like that. Since you have replaced those parts you told about earlier. Have you tried to look at the wiring they fixed ? Perhaps they didn't do a proper job
How do you go about getting a factory reset? Battery discconection? Yeah I have looked at all the connections i can think of, (look a pics) ive looked at the yellpw and black connectors. Looked at the plug connectors to the to the S switch and the one to the locking mechanism and all looks ok.

Feb 6, 2019
How do you go about getting a factory reset? Battery discconection? Yeah I have looked at all the connections i can think of, (look a pics) ive looked at the yellpw and black connectors. Looked at the plug connectors to the to the S switch and the one to the locking mechanism and all looks ok.

ITS when the German vw/seat factory sends the original data of the car like everything
Only done by pros

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
to all, in the end the car when back to seat. They rectified the problem. They said it was a broken wire. It appears the broken wire was inside the black connector block in the boot (as I said the one i did not know how to open). The technician said he has hard wired it now, so completely missed out the connector and crimp connected both ends. This has solved the problem for now. See pictures of before and after (repair).

Alittle annoying that I just needed to get into that black connector and I would of seen a broken wire, but even now I don't no how it is clipped together, but you live and learn and hopefully someone can show me how to open it lol.
2b5eb7954aa7a0c01da9ab02b2f05eba.jpg
19b96eef2390f5bf022abf0a736bed64.jpg

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members