Brake compensator

voodoojellybaby

The back street garage failed my car on the brakes.
They said that the compensator was knackered, as was the copper pipes to the rear cylinders.
What is a compensator what does it do? and has anyone know one to go?

BTW its not leaking anywhere.

Thanks

Mark

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
The brake compensator is a valve that's mounted on the rear beam, and adjusts the brake bias to the rear wheel depending upon the weight in the car, as the suspension compreses the valve is adjusted accordingly.

Not heard of one 'go' before, but I suppose it could be seized.

voodoojellybaby

but how could you tell just by looking at it?
coz all they did was put it on the ramps to check underneath and said it was goosed!
he must be gifted if he can just look at it and tell me its chuffed!

also while im on can anybody tell me which order i need to bleed the brakes when i change the fluid?

cordysx

You can tell by the spring if its rusted it will probebly be siezed there sould be movement as in any coil spring. They may have found an imbalance on the roller brake tester that could have been caused by the compensater.

cordysx

Best way to bleed the brakes is nearest to the reservoir first on the cordy that would be the o/s/f bleed all the fluid in the reservoir through this brake making sure to top up with new fluid as you go so the level does not drop below the minimum. Then bleed the n/s/f 15 pumps o/s/r 15 pumps then the n/s/r 15 pumps. All in all it should use about a pint to a pint and a half of fluid.

voodoojellybaby

well i eventually got the the compensator off. its well chuffed. was just a pile of ali rust! rhe two little pins under the lever arm were solid! so new one should be here in the morning. just hve to get all new pipes made up and then im ready to go again.

Thanks for the help. ill be back if theres any more problems

cordysx

thats a lot of fluid to pump all the way to the rear of the car manually to get new fluid through

voodoojellybaby

well. put every thing on new pipies, flexies, compensator, bled the system took it out for test drive and....... no brakes!!!!!! HELP

voodoojellybaby

how could i have done that? is it easy to fix or not? do i need a new one or can i just replace the seals?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise