Brake pad warning light

Feb 4, 2023
Hi, I had my pad warning light come on and so bought some from Europarts (Brembo) and fitted then today, yes I connected the new pad sensor ok. Pretty straight forward to do. So question is how to reset the brake pad warning light, my car is a Curpa Ateca 2019 with virtual dash?

I can access a menu via the 'range' display and see I can rest the service and oil inspections but no mention of the pad warning light :-(

Thanks in advance for any guidence....

Tell

Staff member
Well the question is if you did an error scan with a coding device whether it would tell you that you had a pad warning light. If so, you'd clear it. The air bag light is like that. People fumble the cables putting in a dash camera then have to clear the error.

A quick Google suggests an open wire thou in general for VAG cars. If I had it I'd do a scan but that pre supposes you got a scanner.

Feb 4, 2023
Well the question is if you did an error scan with a coding device whether it would tell you that you had a pad warning light. If so, you'd clear it. The air bag light is like that. People fumble the cables putting in a dash camera then have to clear the error.

A quick Google suggests an open wire thou in general for VAG cars. If I had it I'd do a scan but that pre supposes you got a scanner.
Hi Tell. The pads were worn and down to the sensor, which is what triggered the warning light on the dash as it was supposed to do. I changed the pads and now the warning light is still on, so assume I have to reset it somehow? no scanner involved, and no error, just want to know how to rest the warning light now new pads are fitted, Any advice appreciated. I downloaded VDSC lite and have a usb can lead and got it talking with the car on the initial test, but couldnt see any controllers they all timed out, so assume lite version with my can cable isn't compatible.

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell. The pads were worn and down to the sensor, which is what triggered the warning light on the dash as it was supposed to do. I changed the pads and now the warning light is still on, so assume I have to reset it somehow? no scanner involved, and no error, just want to know how to rest the warning light now new pads are fitted, Any advice appreciated. I downloaded VDSC lite and have a usb can lead and got it talking with the car on the initial test, but couldnt see any controllers they all timed out, so assume lite version with my can cable isn't compatible.
I use Obdeleven Pro... I pass on all other scanners / VCDS etc. I didn't want to say get one unless it isn't that. It could be something they introduced with your fancy Brembo brakes why you find no mention of it on a Google.

Need a scan to see whether it finds anything. I find it handy scanning for faults and ofcourse mods. You could draw a blank thou then it would be a broken connection.

marlop

You should have changed the wear sensor too. Once the warning light comes on (the disc has worn away the material of the sensor and broken the connector wire) , the right way to get rid of the light in the dash is replacing the wear sensor.

This warning can also be permanently deactivated with OBD/VCDS.

Reactions: Tell
Feb 4, 2023
You should have changed the wear sensor too. Once the warning light comes on (the disc has worn away the material of the sensor and broken the connector wire) , the right way to get rid of the light in the dash is replacing the wear sensor.

This warning can also be permanently deactivated with OBD/VCDS.
Ok, so the brembo pads have a new wear sensor within them (https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/10144422a), so expected that the light goes out when I fitted the new pad with new sensor. But it didnt' so unless the new pad/sensor is faulty (which I assume it isnt') then expecting there is a 'reset the warning light' process i.e once new pads and sensor is installed.

But sounds like there isnt and the cars not smart enough to know there is a new pad/sensor fitted. Or is smart enough but looks to prevent owners replacing the pads without a trip to their Cupra Garage to ask them to reset the light.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Ok, so the brembo pads have a new wear sensor within them (https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/10144422a), so expected that the light goes out when I fitted the new pad with new sensor. But it didnt' so unless the new pad/sensor is faulty (which I assume it isnt') then expecting there is a 'reset the warning light' process i.e once new pads and sensor is installed.

But sounds like there isnt and the cars not smart enough to know there is a new pad/sensor fitted. Or is smart enough but looks to prevent owners replacing the pads without a trip to their Cupra Garage to ask them to reset the light.....
If there is a coding reset it would be shown by an error code scan as I first said, a bit of a egg and chicken thing. In Obdeleven you'd get a tap here to clear all errors then another scan to see whether it had gone. I dont know how fancy Brembo pads work. I can't think it would be beyond VCDS / Obdeleven coding if it needed to be fixed that way, like connection to the mothership.

Tell

Staff member
+ the other thing that crossed my mind but you will probably say you have done it, is to disconnect the battery and reconnect. That may do a reboot of what it's sensing clearing the memory. You would have to retrain the windows to get the mirrors folding in on Kessy if like other models.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members