Break down fun

airfilter

Mar 29, 2008
Derbyshire
I had my first break down last night.

I had just pulled onto a dual carriage way and had easily reached 70. I cruised at that speed for a minute or so when suddenly the car lost all power and a yellow light on the right hand side of the dash (engine fault light?) started flashing at me.

I was able to travel at 35mph until I came off but as I reached the bottom of the slip road and needed 1st gear, the engine almost stalled, I had no power at all and had to bump onto the grass.

The revs kept fluctuating between about to stall, and say 700rpm. The engine begrudgingly starts 2 out of 3 times but sounds awful.

I had to be towed home.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

PS I have no mods or a turbo.

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
Thanks. Are they cheap to replace?

I have Green Flag coming within the hour to do diagnostics on it.

If memory serves me correctly between £70 - £100 but that's for an LCR and loking at you sig yoyu have a 1.6 so may be cheaper as not sure if use the same coilpack.

everitt1980

Weekend runabout
Aug 15, 2008
sheffield
I had similar sounding problem on my lc. The rac guy initially thought it was coil pack and cleared the fault codes which came up as an intermiten misfire. Started it back up and sounded really throaty and just stalled when tried to drive off. He cleared same fault codes again and restarted engine which sounded still really throaty when i mentioned that it sounded different he had another look in the engine bay and went straight to the problem. I had blown the intake hose off beind the drivers headlight. A quick degrease and re attached and was on my way.

airfilter

Mar 29, 2008
Derbyshire
Oops just noticed yours non turbo. Dohhh!

Thanks for the input anyway :)

The mechanic has just been. He thinks it's the coilpack too.

Although, he thinks my coilpack is not a common configuration because I only have one compared to the 4 he is used to seeing in the Leons.

Luckily, he will be able to fix it tomorrow.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
you should have 4, one for each spark plug. They were around £30 for my 1.4s leon.

Jul 8, 2007
kinda answerd my own question after looking

The name "Trucido" comes from a Latin word meaning "to kill cruelly, slay, butcher, massacre, slaughter.

Wierd name mate well for a forum anyway lol i only asked as we had a paintball team with that name

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
kinda answerd my own question after looking

The name "Trucido" comes from a Latin word meaning "to kill cruelly, slay, butcher, massacre, slaughter.

Wierd name mate well for a forum anyway lol i only asked as we had a paintball team with that name

correct :) I've used it for about 10 years, since I started gaming really. I started using it when playing counter-strike and have used it ever since for everything lol

WHL_Spurs

coilpack happened to me couple weeks ago cost me 28 quid for a OEM part of 23 for a non OEM part from euro car parts.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.