bugs or misconfiguration?

AndyRBL

May 14, 2020
Hello,

After 5 months of using the car, I've noticed some things that I'm not entirely sure are issues or it's a FAD.
- CLIMATE CONTROL
It is always in ECO mode. No matter what settings I have, it's always ECO.
IRL scenario: 2 Celsius outside, had the climate control on AUTOx3 at 21 Celsius. After driving for 33 minutes the temp was only at 90%.. so around 19 Celsius. What I've noticed, that every time I'm in Auto, the central vents don't really do anything.
Also, when I use the Warm my feet function, it's starts blowing air from the central vents, along with the foot vents.
- SIDE MIRRORS HEATING
All of the cars I had / used so far, the moment I turned on the Rear Window heating, it started the side mirrors heating as well. Not on the Formentor. In order to start the side mirror heating, I must do it from the door panel. Also, I've noticed that on my other cars, the mirrors are getting very hot. Again, not on the Formentor, where there are just lukewarm
- CAMERA QUALITY
The camera quality is very poor. Somethings I get a BLURR on the upper part of the camera when I try to use it.
- APPLE CARPLAY
When I connect my phone (iphone 12, up to date) via cable, carplay does not start automatically. I have to press the carplay button, then select carplay, then confirm and only after that, I get the apps screen. On my old car, it was plug and play. Cable in phone and boom, it pooped on the screen.

Anyone else encountered these issues or FAD functions?

Thanks!

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Side mirror heating works just like it did on Leon 3rd gen. Control is separate from rear windows. So this is not a bug. What car are you comparing it to? Different brands probably handle it differently.

Camera seems fine to me, but some people did report very blurry image, I think it was a faulty camera in that case.

I always use Auto and haven't noticed any issues. Not sure if it switches to Eco.

Reactions: Baldiesimo

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
If you are in individual mode on the driver profile you have a choice between eco and comfort so it can be changed.

Heated mirrors are as effective as previous cars for me and are pretty quick in clearing frost or water. Also the camera is fine on mine so I wonder if both are faulty??

I don't have Apple so can't comment but when I am in Android Auto, there is a setting to always launch it at restart so might be similar for Apple?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

AndyRBL

May 14, 2020
Side mirror heating works just like it did on Leon 3rd gen. Control is separate from rear windows. So this is not a bug. What car are you comparing it to? Different brands probably handle it differently.

Camera seems fine to me, but some people did report very blurry image, I think it was a faulty camera in that case.

I always use Auto and haven't noticed any issues. Not sure if it switches to Eco.
I'm comparing to a 2018 Seat Ibiza (my previous car). I tried to tell the service that the camera is buggy but they said that it is FAD.. I can't prove that it isn't.
Attached a photo to show how blurry it is.. but again.. only the top part and not always.
As for ECO, attached another picture. It's always like that.

Attachments

• IMG_9352.jpg
    IMG_9352.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 197
  • eco.png
    eco.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 193

AndyRBL

May 14, 2020
If you are in individual mode on the driver profile you have a choice between eco and comfort so it can be changed.

Heated mirrors are as effective as previous cars for me and are pretty quick in clearing frost or water. Also the camera is fine on mine so I wonder if both are faulty??

I don't have Apple so can't comment but when I am in Android Auto, there is a setting to always launch it at restart so might be similar for Apple?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
They do clear the water and ice, but they are not that hot as my Seat Ibiza.
I use the Individual driver profile where climate control is on Comfort and not on ECO. And this is another issue, even if the Icon says it's on Individual, the engine (which is set to ECO) is always on Normal. Every time I start the car, I have to re-activate Individual mode.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
That camera view looks extremely blurry/pixelated. My camera is better than that.

About the ECO - not sure. I've seen people mention that car detects that there is no passenger and thus turns off the AC on the passenger side. Maybe that is happening here?

Mirrors don't really need to be hot to clear ice. I am not sure, but I think they work the same as on my previous Leon.

Reactions: Hizzards

AndyRBL

May 14, 2020
That camera view looks extremely blurry/pixelated. My camera is better than that.

About the ECO - not sure. I've seen people mention that car detects that there is no passenger and thus turns off the AC on the passenger side. Maybe that is happening here?

Mirrors don't really need to be hot to clear ice. I am not sure, but I think they work the same as on my previous Leon.
Maybe it is.. Maybe if there is no passenger, it keeps that side on eco. However, it does not explain why it took 33 minutes to reach a 90% temperature on the driver side...
The service here is awful and they always say "it works how it's suppose to work"...

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Maybe it is.. Maybe if there is no passenger, it keeps that side on eco. However, it does not explain why it took 33 minutes to reach a 90% temperature on the driver side...
The service here is awful and they always say "it works how it's suppose to work"...
Honestly I am always surprised people fiddle with the AC so much. I just keep my on Auto 3 and temperature 22 or 21 C. I feel it works fine. In rare occasions I would increase or decrease it from that number.

I have no idea how much percent does my car reach after 30 minutes so I don't really know if your AC is working correctly or not.

AndyRBL

May 14, 2020
Honestly I am always surprised people fiddle with the AC so much. I just keep my on Auto 3 and temperature 22 or 21 C. I feel it works fine. In rare occasions I would increase or decrease it from that number.

I have no idea how much percent does my car reach after 30 minutes so I don't really know if your AC is working correctly or not.
That's the thing. I don't fiddle with it. On my Ibiza it's set to 21 on auto and that's it. Same for this one. It's set on 21. It's starts by itself when i get into the car for whatever reason (I turn it off when I get out). But I feel that it's just not heating as efficient or as fast as it should.
I guess I'll make an appointment at another car service to get another checkup.. for the camera and infotainment system mostly.. (although Cupra said they are gonna release an update in Q1 that would fix most issues with it)

Reactions: Peyton

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Mercedes had mirrors heating connected to rear windscreen heating, I found it bizarre at the beginning.

In VAG cars, it was always setting on mirror configuration, on the door, which I prefer.

Regarding camera quality, I think it's faulty and you should try to get replacement under warranty.

Climate control - in my car it never defaulted to Eco and I never switched it off either. Leaving it on, 21C, fan on 1.

CupraOnForm

Jan 12, 2022
I just received by formentor before Christmas but not had the problems you describe.
Apple CarPlay works wirelessly on mine. Connects pretty quickly and appears as an icon which you press. Takes maybe 5 seconds. Not sure if that is a new feature? I have the VZ1 e245.

Jul 27, 2021
I don't have to press the Carplay icon, it connects automatically. As you say it connects wirelessly and takes about 5-10secs although every now and again it doesn't want to play so a quick switch to the onboard radio and back again does the job.

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
The eco sign on the dash purely indicates that you have no front passenger and the heating on that side is therefore disabled.

Once you have a passenger,the eco sign goes out and heating is activated for the passenger side area.

If its only heating the drivers area,it takes longer to warm up,there's less heat filling the passenger areas.

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
Presume that’s an eco mode thing? Mine has never showed Eco, but I use individual profile.

Regarding mirrors, the VAG way of having a separate mirror defrost is annoying - on most occasions when the mirrors are frozen the rear windscreen is too, it may as well be in one setting. Also, you have to remember to turn the mirror knob back to the L setting (RHD cars), to get reverse mirror dipping. Just a minor inconvenience.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
The eco sign on the dash purely indicates that you have no front passenger and the heating on that side is therefore disabled.

Once you have a passenger,the eco sign goes out and heating is activated for the passenger side area.

If its only heating the drivers area,it takes longer to warm up,there's less heat filling the passenger areas.
Is this a Hybrid feature (ECO)? I haven't seen it in my VZ310.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Presume that’s an eco mode thing? Mine has never showed Eco, but I use individual profile.

Regarding mirrors, the VAG way of having a separate mirror defrost is annoying - on most occasions when the mirrors are frozen the rear windscreen is too, it may as well be in one setting. Also, you have to remember to turn the mirror knob back to the L setting (RHD cars), to get reverse mirror dipping. Just a minor inconvenience.
It's a minor inconvenience and I agree. Personally I'd prefer a button that started heating for 5-10 minutes, maybe double press to hold it in "place" if I want it on constantly.

Btw now we are complaining about an extra knob while usually people complain they removed knobs and buttons for digital ones.

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
It's a minor inconvenience and I agree. Personally I'd prefer a button that started heating for 5-10 minutes, maybe double press to hold it in "place" if I want it on constantly.

Btw now we are complaining about an extra knob while usually people complain they removed knobs and buttons for digital ones.

Of all the cars’ features, this is probably the one drivers use the least - it’s a shame it’s one of very few tactile controls left.

These touch controls everywhere are hopefully a fad that dies out - in a few years manufacturers will introduce the revolutionary idea of controlling temperature, volume, etc with knobs and buttons, and it will be gloriously welcomed.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Of all the cars’ features, this is probably the one drivers use the least - it’s a shame it’s one of very few tactile controls left.

These touch controls everywhere are hopefully a fad that dies out - in a few years manufacturers will introduce the revolutionary idea of controlling temperature, volume, etc with knobs and buttons, and it will be gloriously welcomed.
Agreed. I'm sure it will start from the top - premium cars will return knobs and buttons and then the rest will follow.

These huge screens are so unnecessary.

Reactions: Tormentor

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Dream on. Have you seen new car models pictures? Huge screens instead of dash and middle console. S-class for example. I suspect, buttons will be only in outgoing models and more primitive cars until they are also replaced by screens.

Tormentor

May 3, 2021
Agreed. I'm sure it will start from the top - premium cars will return knobs and buttons and then the rest will follow.

These huge screens are so unnecessary.
I’m looking at the EV6 when the Formentor gets the Basil Faulty thrashing. It has the info screen and buttons!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.