Built AGU engine swap help

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I'm in the process of building an AGU block from a 150ps a3. Shooting for 500-600hp on e85. I have a few major questions.

The built engine will be replacing my ARY (180hp k03s non vvt) engine.

First off I know the AGU is coming from a Motronic 3.8? And has a cable driven throttle body.

Can I just swap this engine in to run off my ecu? Motronic 7.1 or 7.5? Anyone know?

My theory is and anyone please chime in and help me if I'm wrong.

Cant I just use the DBW throttle body i have on the agu manifold? When not okay then what about an upgraded manifold.

The injectors will be bumped up to 1000+cc for e85 so that wont be a problem.

Where is the problem with running a motronic 7 on an old 3.8 engine? I'm a bit confused. It's going into a car that has non vvt newer motronic (not sure what series exactly).

All the sensors can be swapped over? Cant my old wiring loom off the ARY just plug in to the AGU? Someone please enlighten me.

Lastly would I see any benefit to installing VVT into the AGU big turbo setup? Or is it not worth it? I've heard vvt is mainly for emissions in these cars, but that doesn't quite make sense to me knowing what else variable valve timing can do for performance. IF I swapped in VVT would it be a bitch to make it run on my car? Would I have to get a motronic 7.5 from an s3?

****ing hell I'm lost and I'm a pretty mechanical and tech savvy dude. So many variations with these ****ing engines and ecus.

End goal is this, large turbo, 550ish hp, e85, large port head. VVT necessary? Tuning through stock ecu.

Thanks in advance.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
So apparently the VVT in the Cupra Rs and S3s do nothing for performance and it's only for emissions purposes. It's not used in the same way as for example Honda Vtec. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

If that is the case then I'm glad I dont have to deal with it. Or tune it out of my ecu with a cupra R etc. Then I can just run the manual IE timing belt tensioner on the AGU build

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
So apparently the VVT in the Cupra Rs and S3s do nothing for performance and it's only for emissions purposes. It's not used in the same way as for example Honda Vtec. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

If that is the case then I'm glad I dont have to deal with it. Or tune it out of my ecu with a cupra R etc. Then I can just run the manual IE timing belt tensioner on the AGU build

Yes, the VVT is for emissions only on the 1.8T I'm pretty sure it only works briefly on warm-up too....pointless weight and more things to go wrong if you can do without it and still pass emissions regs.

Ya that is definitely an option! I talked with Bill about it, best part is he can E-tune me from across the channel if I use this ecu

Haha, that's cool as ****! Who would of dreamt that would be possible 25 years ago!

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Soooooo after doing further research you can use VVT with our cars for performance purposes. Not in the exact way vtec goes till 8500rpm Haha but instead down low 1500-5500rpm! It's supposed to help big laggy turbos spool much much faster! If you're using a k04 or k03 it'll give you even more torque and you can try to use it midrange to help make the engine and turbo breathe more.

There are tunes on Maestro 7 and also through ignitron, Unitronic, and standalone megasquirt. The VVT advances the timing by 22°.

The biggest benefit are the big turbo setups, if you're stock turbo it's not something I would consider upgrading too. Other upgrades will yield better performance.

Check out the link here

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=5116947&share_fid=7951&share_type=t