Buy used mk3 if >100k miles?

Aug 13, 2020
Seeking this sub's thoughts on the prospect of purchasing a used Leon mk3 if it has over 100k on the clock. I'm a bit strapped for cash so I'm finding myself priced out by the lower 2 figure mileages. Broadly speaking, is it a reasonable car to consider picking up a centurion? Any high mileages in here/Or horror stories? Suppose I can pick up an FR with a low 6 fig clock for around 6-6.5k depending on specifics.

Do they tend to develop problems which are more hassle and cash to keep on top of than it's worth?

Any difference in engine longevity between TSI/TDI?

Would the prospect be influenced by a specific component which should be scrutinized on inspection?

Andy Knoxville

Jun 17, 2020
So many variables too consider...

Is it petrol or diesel?

Age?

Service history?

If its a petrol or diesel and has spent most of its life going up and down the motorway, then it should not be an issue with the high mileage.

A well looked after car is just that, a well looked after car.

You could buy a low mileage car that turns out to be a nightmare.

Take it for a test drive, listen for any odd noises, does it pull when you brake? Has it recently passed an MOT?

Most of all, don't panic buy. I've fallen in love with cars before when my head said something is not right and too walk away.

Good luck!

Aug 13, 2020
Thanks for your reply.

I'm happy now that there's no reason to exclude a Leon from consideration just because it has a high mileage. I know there are cars out there which are known to be trouble after they hit 6 figures.

I guess now I'm just hoping someone chimes in with some "known issues" with the mk3 in particular to be aware of. I would consider either a diesel or petrol, so am interested in any insights.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I had a Golf that had 110K on the clock. It drove perfectly, had zero rattles, you would never have known the millage was so high. If the car has been looked after and drives right then yes, I'd buy a car with that millage on it. Diesels do last better than petrols so that would be my pick but engines generally hold up well these days. We're not I the seventies any more.

Reactions: redtee34

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I guess a centurion Leon with FSH (full service history) and MOT history and especially a diesel, would be fine even after 100k. Some high mileage cars are just pottling up and down the motorway. It should already have the cambelt changed by now. Just listen up to any rattles, on trim or on the engine (a diesel engine does rattle at low revs and when cold, so not that type of rattle). Don't worry about the wheel nuts cover having already fallen off or are of a discoloured whtie (original black). My 2 year old 10k miles Leon already discoloured... Also would you use it for short town journies or mainly faster A/B / motorway journies? If the latter do consider either a 1.6TDI or 2.0TDI 150. I had the latter in DSG guise, and it did just under 60mpg on motorway runs.

Reactions: redtee34

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I have a 2014 1.2 TSI petrol and use it to and from work, 118 mile round trip on motorway, with 120k on the clock now. Still drives great and am getting mid 60's mpg.

I don't scream it on motorway, no point. Its has one cambelt and serpentine belt change along with the usual consumables like tyres, brake pads and coolant etc.... Still on original exhaust and I don't see anything in my history on a replacement battery either. So I take it its original too.. I did disabled the stop start system to help prolong battery and starter motor. Maybe that's helped. Maybe it hasn't.....

Drives real quiet and smooth. Engine and gearbox.
So like what others have said it does depend on how it was previously treated.....

Reactions: Peller and redtee34

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I did disabled the stop start system to help prolong battery and starter motor. Maybe that's helped. Maybe it hasn't.....

I can't see how it would not help. I do it on all of our cars. The battery and starter are uprated on stop/start cars as they obviously have to work harder. The starter might be doing five times the number of starts a non-stop/start car does, I reckon that's a conservative estimate, but there's no way the starter is five times the quality!

Reactions: Wastedagen

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
Different car but same basic engine. My mate has a 09 audi a4 with the 2.0 tdi 170 and its done 145k. The engine has been mapped for a few years and has been walnut blasted at the same time as the map. Engine feels good as new and super smooth. He only bought it as a stop gap but has been so happy with it he is keeping it for now.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
My old foreman told me to always buy a car on condition, not mileage! If your unsure about the car, why not get an independent inspection?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
My old foreman told me to always buy a car on condition, not mileage! If your unsure about the car, why not get an independent inspection?

Something in that. Cars talk to you, you just know if a car feels right and yes, high millage cars can be right.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
My 2014 TDI 184 has 103,000 miles on the clock. I bought it 2 and a half years ago with 60,000 on it. From my perspective, a diesel with 100k+ miles should be good if the service history supports it.

As has been said, a diesel car that does 80% motorway miles should be pretty solid in terms of general wear and tear.

In terms of what to look out for from my experience:

• Block heater matrix
  • Dodgey water pump (all good if cambelt and pump have been done)
  • Rear shocks

The cambelt theoretically is 5 year or c.120,000 miles for my TDI. I really depends who you ask. Mine was done at 100,000 due to my water pump issue.

I also change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Partly preventative maintenance but I prefer it that way. I use VW 507.00 LL spec oil and try to run V-Power through it every 3rd tank.

My previous Leon was a Mk1 2004 110bhp TDI that had 220,000 miles on it when I finally said goodbye. The only issue in all the time I had it was the flywheel came off. Other than that, it was serviced every 10,000 miles and never missed a beat. It even had the original exhaust and clutch. The PD engines were really good. I also ran it on BP Ultimate for a lot of the latter mileage and it seemed to like it. I checked the EGR valve before getting rid of it and it wasn't too bad at all. I do believe that good servicing (and fuel) regimes help with higher mileage cars.

Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of a higher mileage deisel as long as it's been well looked after mechancially. Less sure about petrol due to lack of experience.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.