Buying a Formentor Hybrid - What to look for?

Jul 15, 2023
Hi all

Can anyone give me a list of things to look for and test when purchasing a car? I'm a bit worried about some of the software related faults people have mentioned.

Thanks

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
There's a lot of good information available on here so have a good look through. And welcome to the forum btw.

I have Hybrid, bought at 5 months old and it was the dealers demonstrator. It's 2 years old now and I still love it even though it's had all the software issues at one time or another. I still think it's a great car, very comfortable and I always enjoy the drive. Mines a 204hp V2 and is very well equipped and more than quick enough for me.

Assuming you're buying used then obviously there are all the normal things to check, V5, history, accident damage etc. I'm not going to list those as there's loads of info out there.

Used Hybrid Formentor specific I would look out for/check the following in addition to the norms:

Software version; 1940 is the latest and seems stable. Ensure it's updated.
Ensure you get the remains of the 3 year Cupra warranty.
Front tyres tend to wear quickly. Mine's done 11000 miles and they're down to 3/4mm. When I change them it won't be for Bridgestone but that's personal preference.
Have a good look at the leather seats. Creases are normal but they're prone to scratches and scuffs due to the nappa leather used.
Check the paintwork over. The paint is quite soft, I've found, and chips easily imo. Alloy scuffs too!
Wheel nut covers tend to go missing. New ones seem a tighter fit and I've not lost one in a while.

The infotainment and lack of physical knobs takes some getting used to, but if you don't mind talking to the car you can adjust most thing that way and it works well. Turn off the voice activation and use the steering wheel button else it'll be asking you what you want all the time :p.

There's a thread here that might help.

I'm sure some others will be along with advice so good luck with your search (y). Oh, and make sure you post some pics when you've bought one.

Last edited:
Reactions: SW2014

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I have 245 hybrid. It's not economical.. mine is a company car so makes complete financial sense tax wise. However if buying myself I would be looking at the top sports models with 4 wheel drive.. A great car to handle power but my front wheel drive can't handle the power - it scrabbles like hell. Boot is v.small too.
However I do like the car .. love all gadgets on my VZ2 - and the interior is really nice.. I haven't driven other petrol models but it's not going to save the planet having petrol.

Reactions: SW2014

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I have 245 hybrid. It's not economical.. mine is a company car so makes complete financial sense tax wise. However if buying myself I would be looking at the top sports models with 4 wheel drive.. A great car to handle power but my front wheel drive can't handle the power - it scrabbles like hell. Boot is v.small too.
However I do like the car .. love all gadgets on my VZ2 - and the interior is really nice.. I haven't driven other petrol models but it's not going to save the planet having petrol.
I'm really surprised by this, what sort of driving do you do? Mine's a 204 hybrid and I find it extremely economical. I think our cars only differ in the electric drive power, ICE is the same in both. On long journeys pretty much ICE only I'm getting 55 to 62mpg which I'm really happy with. I mainly do short journeys so all electric. Across the last 12 months I'm averaging 5m/kWh and 123mpg. Fuel costs have halved for me since changing from a petrol BMW X1.
I agree with the front wheels scrabbling though, mine does it a lot. I blame it on the Bridgestones though as hinted in my reply above.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
The problem with the overall consumption figures is that they include the 'other' fuel in the calculations, so 'electric only' driving contributes to the petrol MPG - when no petrol is being used! It's the same the other way around, so miles travelled using petrol contribute to the m/KWh.

The more 'electric only' miles you do, the better your mpg numbers are! But yes, I get around 55-60mpg too when the battery has more than 10% left, that drops to 40mpg when the battery's 'flat' and driving 'spiritedly' in Cupra mode!

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Yeah I know and it's a very misleading tbh. It'd be nice if the calculations were more real world but that's the manufacturers for you. I've no experience but I'd bet other makes give similar misleading info!
I've been meaning to do a spreadsheet to calculate a truer mpg based on the cost per gallon and kWh cost. Just haven't gotten round to doing it yet.
I've still found my fuel costs per mile have halved though since I've had it though and it's an economical car to run imho.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise