Potential owner concerns

Feb 20, 2023
Hi all,

I'm thinking about swapping my TT mk3 for either a Formentor or M135i.

However, although the Formentor ticks all my boxes, I am very concerned with what appears to be many issues with the software, recalls over structural faults and the fact that everything needs to be controlled via the touchscreen (the knobs in my TT are just wonderful, and the new M135i hasn't fully given up on real controls).

Just how easy/difficult is it to adjust the heating/AC whilst on the move?

How bad might the software be on a car now (I'm looking at 21 regs) - are there OTA fixes?

Has anyone compared with the M135i?

What stalk controls are there?

Thanks,
Simon

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Not sure what structural fault are you referring to?

About the software - for some people the car is fine while some have many issues. I think this is a VW group wide issue on new gen cars. For me personally it works fine, I had some minor inconveniences here and there but nothing to take away from me enjoying the car. There were some updates OTA and in service.

Touchscreen use for AC is very simple. I just tap the requisite area multiple times, each tap reduces or changes the temperature by 0.5C so if you want to move from 23 to 21, you just tap 4 times. It's simple, easy and precise. If you want to change the speed of the vents (I usually don't) there is a AUTO button on screen which has 3 levels, again just tap multiple times to change to whichever mode you want.

Stalk controls can control volume, various dashboard screens, cruise control, etc. I think to answer the phone you need to press on the main screen or have the phone widget selected on your dashboard. That is a slight regression from previous gen cars where there was a button on steering wheel to answer calls.

Reactions: Fencer60

Hizzards

Aug 19, 2021
How technologically minded are you? Can you work a smartphone?

The Four Horsemen of the Whingepolcalypse will arrive shortly to tell you to not buy the car. In my opinion, they bought the wrong car for them.

My car has been fine. The infotainment is responsive. It’s into CarPlay before I’ve backed off the drive. But I’m into tech and don’t find it a major inconvenience to press a button 4 times whilst I’m sat in a warm leather seat. People here have found that incredibly challenging.

To be honest, you need to go see it and see what you think for yourself. You need to try to find one on a recent firmware and see how it feels. You’re essentially going to get a mixed reviews here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Mine's a 21 plate and I still love it. It did have a few issues but these were sorted with an update last May. It's going in for a service in a couple of weeks and they've said there's a new software update to install plus a recall for a battery module replacement (mine's eHybrid). Might be worth asking about software updates. Minor ones are OTA, major ones need a dealer visit. I've had both within the last year.
The car has it's quirks but they of no concern to me. The lane assist can take some getting used to as you can feel it trying to pull you back into your lane if you tend to wander off line slighty. It also does it when overtaking a parked car for instance. However if you indicate first then it doesn't. It can be a bit disconcerting but I'm well used to it now and it doesn't bother me.
Climate control is pretty easy as stated above and you can also use voice control which works well imho. I tend to leave my a/c set in auto and rarely change it tbh. The fact that the a/c temp controls aren't illuminated can be a pain for some but as said voice control works well.
Stalk controls are pretty standard and do vary slightly depending on the model as do the steering wheel controls. I find the heated seats and heated steering wheel great this time of year.
Good luck with your search and do let us know what you end up with.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Hi all,

I'm thinking about swapping my TT mk3 for either a Formentor or M135i.

However, although the Formentor ticks all my boxes, I am very concerned with what appears to be many issues with the software, recalls over structural faults and the fact that everything needs to be controlled via the touchscreen (the knobs in my TT are just wonderful, and the new M135i hasn't fully given up on real controls).

Just how easy/difficult is it to adjust the heating/AC whilst on the move?

How bad might the software be on a car now (I'm looking at 21 regs) - are there OTA fixes?

Has anyone compared with the M135i?

What stalk controls are there?

Thanks,
Simon
Great car, great quality, 5 start euro score.
I use the voice activation a lot and turn up/down the heating using the same method. “Hola, temperature 22 degrees” or “hola, I’m cold” or “hola, I’m hot” and you can specify passenger or drivers side too. Yes there have been infotainment issues but as stated above I talk to mine ;) (y)

Reactions: Bear and oldgitdave

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Got a 21 plate 310 VZ3 no issues with faults.
Yes, when compared to Mitsubishi levels of easy to operate buttons even with gloves on it's not so simple.
BUT
For driving for smiles per Gallon and modern driving entertainment it's a blast.

I barely get to take the Formentor out if the Mrs gets there first, and bear in mind there's a 5.0 Mustang GT parked next to it - that has to tell you something...

Take one (or two) out for a test drive and decide for yourself...

You can get used to/ forgive the strapon ipad controls for the other rewards the Formentor can give you.

Wyld Stallyn

Mar 10, 2022
I should add the Fomentor 310 Smiles per Gallon comparison is with:
6.0 Monaro VXR, Peugeot RCZ200 (Yes, yes - I Know - Aldi TT) an a brace of Mustang GTs

Feb 20, 2023
Thanks for all the replies and advice so far.
That is quite a garage, Wyld Stallyn!

I’ve since watched a couple of vids on the infotainment system, and it actually seems very good, so I’m much less concerned with it now.

The car I’m interested in is from a SEAT main dealer, so I’m assuming all the software will be up to date (?).
I have stretched my budget a little, since I was initially looking at 300 STs, but the Formentor looks too good to miss, and will keep me smiling as well as being practical. I may even remap it some point.

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

Starky

Feb 26, 2023
Hey. Just got into my Formenter this morning. Company car, got delivered yesterday, should have been today so it had no tax and insurance And couldn’t use it until today.
Anyway, really nice to drive, so much better than the x2 bmw I’ve been driving about for the last few weeks. Like any new car, there’s lots to learn but if you can work an iPad you can work this. The steering wheel buttons to work the driver display are really easy to use and lots of different views on the centre and side panels. Pretty much on top of everything else after 30 mins in the car tonight. Regarding the software, it’s 1899 and silky smooth.

No one told me about the get home lights (if that’s what it’s called?) Cupra logo lights up on the ground. Very cool/I’m sure someones going to call it cheap and tacky!

Deleted member 136499

@Hizzards
Pretty arrogant statement.
I have had mine in the shop 4 times now ( updates and new F5 unit, waiting over 4 hours every time ). And EVERY time another problem has been added.
Now...keyless access not working, travel assist not working, overhead lights not working, driver airbag not working.
If this is what you ( like Hizzards ) are looking for, go with the Formentor. I have had 7 BMWs over the last 13 years and around 500.000 km without any issues. Between the two i would take the M135i any day.
After 6 months i lost hope in mine. So today i traded it n for a Tesla 3 long range awd...swopping Tuesday...can´t wait.
So, here is some pointless whinging from one of the dumb donkeymen🙂

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
@Hizzards
I have had mine in the shop 4 times now ( updates and new F5 unit, waiting over 4 hours every time ). And EVERY time another problem has been added.
Now...keyless access not working, travel assist not working, overhead lights not working, driver airbag not working.
If this is what you ( like Hizzards ) are looking for, go with the Formentor. I have had 7 BMWs over the last 13 years and around 500.000 km without any issues. Between the two i would take the M135i any day.
After 6 months i lost hope in mine. So today i traded it n for a Tesla 3 long range awd...swopping Tuesday...can´t wait.
Not sure I'd call it an arrogant statement tbh. More people on car forums have negative comments about their cars as it's human to have a whinge :). Also the vast majority of folk just buy a car to drive and aren't interested in the intricacies of what it does or how it works as long as it gets then from A to B. Personally I join forums to learn about the car (to help if I can) and to listen to other peoples experiences.
BMW M135i; can't fault you; Tesla3... wouldn't touch one with a barge pole :p

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
@Hizzards
3 questions for you SKR...How is Buzzard's statement arrogant? Do you think that every BMW forum is full of drivers telling fabulous stories of how great their cars are? Do you think every Tesla driver is completely delighted with the car they drive?

BTW, seems that airbags might have been an issue with Tesla 3s...

Reactions: Hizzards

Starky

Feb 26, 2023
Just to lighten the mood. That x2 was bloody awful. I’m sure one of the car mags said it was a comparison to the Cupra. The inside was the class leader blah blah blah. Rubbish inside too. Cupra interior is nice but I had a wee merc 200 last summer and that was a lovely place to sit, mind you they look like an Astra.

Wyld Stallyn

Mar 10, 2022
Oh, and to answer the Very Reverend Simon's question about heating on the move and button operation:
Before I had discovered the heater app on the strapon dashboard, I pressed the onboard assistant button on the steering wheel and said "my feet are cold" back comes a reassuring voice saying "no problem, footwell heating activated" and my feet got toastie soon after.

NONE of my cars have been perfect, 🤔 having said that if we all wanted 'perfect cars' we'd all be driving Toyota Corollas.🙈
Cars should be enjoyed while we still can... 🙂👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Fencer60

Hizzards

Aug 19, 2021
@Hizzards
It’s really quite simple, and part of the problem here. So I’ll type it extra slowly.

Your car is faulty.

It’s as simple as that. You can buy a BWM and it be faulty. You can buy a Tesla and it be faulty. Would the people with faulty BMWs call you arrogant because you’ve owned ones without faults?

I think it’s fair to assume that OP was asking for feedback on cars that aren’t just broken.

I’m sure you are looking forward to your Tesla. I hope it isn’t faulty.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
My car has been fine. The infotainment is responsive. It’s into CarPlay before I’ve backed off the drive. But I’m into tech and don’t find it a major inconvenience to press a button 4 times whilst I’m sat in a warm leather seat. People here have found that incredibly challenging.

If you're happy to have to use a third party solution to get a satisfactory infotainment experience in your 35/40k+ car then fair enough.

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Thanks for all the replies and advice so far.
That is quite a garage, Wyld Stallyn!

I’ve since watched a couple of vids on the infotainment system, and it actually seems very good, so I’m much less concerned with it now.

The car I’m interested in is from a SEAT main dealer, so I’m assuming all the software will be up to date (?).
I have stretched my budget a little, since I was initially looking at 300 STs, but the Formentor looks too good to miss, and will keep me smiling as well as being practical. I may even remap it some point.
Assume nothing!!!
As far as I know, a Seat dealer can do simple servicing on a Cupra Formentor but you need a Cupra dealer for everything else.

Overall I love my Formentor, yes a couple of oddities shall we say, but show me an owners forum without a problem car!

Hizzards

Aug 19, 2021
If you're happy to have to use a third party solution to get a satisfactory infotainment experience in your 35/40k+ car then fair enough.

That’s hilarious

CarPlay is better than every single Infotainment system anyway. I could have a £150k Range Rover and I’d still use CarPlay.

trot trot

Wyld Stallyn

Mar 10, 2022
That’s hilarious

CarPlay is better than every single Infotainment system anyway. I could have a £150k Range Rover and I’d still use CarPlay.

trot trot

I still use CDs, still searching for the app.

My smartphone is usually One Step Beyond my patience 🙈

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.